Badge Check-In threads for Episode 9-16 are closing on Friday at 1PM UTC. Please go claim your badges if you haven't done so already.

Upgrading Items Bought with Money

When players spend money on a package that includes items, they should have some measure of confidence that the item will not be outdated for some minimum amount of time.

One possible viable solution is to give cash-purchased items a 4th upgrade option for level-only (no 4th trait).

* Players can spend experience and workshop upgrade time on this item after their Workshop gets the appropriate level.
* Designers can balance the experience and workshop time cost for this Level Up upgrade so that players with purchased items do not have too much of a progression lead against players who have not purchased items during the previous game release.
* Keeping a level cap on item upgrades will maintain the incentive for players to invest money in new item bundles.
* Adding the option to upgrade once may increase player confidence to spend money on bundles because they know the item will remain top tier for some time.

Comments

• blynknzblynknz Member
    For items purchased with money, there could be a fee that can move it up a level.
    Especially now that a new level is coming out, there will be a lot of weapons that won't match the survivor.
  • falowynfalowyn Member
    Any solution is better than none. However, a purchasable token to upgrade an item players have already spent money to acquire could be seen as a way to charge twice for the same item. Many people could be turned off by that sort of game mechanic.
    ekimhclewMetalWalkerWarrior
  • Well it's either that or we purchase the weapon again for the full price. Like I said in another post (believe it was you) "developers need to make money to keep developing." But I know a game like this doesn't cost much to upkeep. Spend 3.99 on a token to upgrade a paid for weapon that's maxed at 23 to level 24 seems like a great idea to me!
    Join the "Grateful Dead" Guild. Just give us a search and bring a song quote to join.
    BiggyGuyinTWD
  • SCBMASCBMA Member
    I am not positive, but I think I remember reading a post where NG said they couldn't tell in our inventory the difference between a regular item and a purchased item. So to implement any idea that applies only to purchased items would be a huge amount of new coding.
  • VerbaubVerbaub Member
    When they start offering a lot of weapons/armor bundles, don't buy them - it is a sure sign they are getting ready to launch an update :p
    SCBMAafroponixFragzie
  • falowynfalowyn Member
    That's why something needs to be implemented to allow players to preserve the benefits of buying an item for one patch iteration, but not in perpetuity.

I'm unfamiliar with the back end code being used, but any solution would require a way to flag items bought with cash.
  • SCBMA said:

I am not positive, but I think I remember reading a post where NG said they couldn't tell in our inventory the difference between a regular item and a purchased item. So to implement any idea that applies only to purchased items would be a huge amount of new coding.

Seeing as u can only get certain weapons from purchasing them I doubt the coding to tell the difference would be that hard seeing as they can't be gotten besides when they put the coding in to sell a certain package. That's why I advocate the 3.99$ bought weapon lvl up coin from lvl23 to lvl24, or maybe 4.99/5.99 per coin, just so we don't have to buy the packages all over again.

Verbaub said:

When they start offering a lot of weapons/armor bundles, don't buy them - it is a sure sign they are getting ready to launch an update :p

Absolutely, won't be getting anything special now till this update comes our, plus we deserve another spring cleaning event for this year. I have a lot more suggestions in mupy 2.5 upgrade suggestion post
    Join the "Grateful Dead" Guild. Just give us a search and bring a song quote to join.
  • SCBMASCBMA Member
    edited March 16
    There are only a few unique items for purchase (ex. leg reckonin', pitch fork, etc) but most are items you can also obtain within the game without spending cash. So trying to code based on how you obtained an item is a large undertaking that has no return on investment for NG.

As a paying customer, I would love to have the weapons cap removed. But from a financial perspective, considering this is a free game, I can understand why it will never happen.
    1Ris
  • SCBMA said:

@afroponix idea is really good.

If Next @Teeceezy @Shteevie can't tell the difference in gear... I'm not sure what level of interaction they can do, but use @afroponix idea and just make it $3.99 across the board to bump the max level of ANY piece of gear up by one.

They might make even more money this way than they would hoping people buy new weapons. Because some WILL buy new weapons, others will not... but I think a LARGE number of people would shell out $4 here and there to keep using their favorite/best gear.

Great idea @afroponix

afroponix
  • SCBMASCBMA Member
    If it was a set price to bump any piece of gear (purchased or not) I too think that would be a big money maker. Sorry @afroponix, I did not pick up on that with your post. I thought we were talking about only purchased gear.
    1Ris
  • falowynfalowyn Member
    * At $3.99, an upgrade token would net NG far less money per purchase than a new item set each level.
    * Tokens do not resolve the problem of players buying items immediately before a patch feeling angry, because they would have to spend more cash again as soon as the patch comes out.
    * Tokens to upgrade the same items in perpetuity end the hunt to replace your top end gear that NG seems to want us to do as part of the end game experience.
    * Once players have gear with the exact traits they want, applying tokens to everything make the game feel far more like it's a Pay to Win title because it amplifies the power differential between FTP and spending customers.
    afroponix
  • xbamfxxbamfx Member
    @falowyn I see your point but I also understand the need for the game to make money. I support that if it makes sense to do so and have no issues spending a few bucks here and there to attain gear that will further my playing experience. I suggested a week or so ago when news dropped of the update and gear cap, that gear should definitely be cheaper then 14,99 and up especially if it will become obsolete at some point. hopefully there are modifications in the future, I'll be holding onto my purchased level 23 gear and those scavenged as well just in case.
  • JadenJaden Member
    As long as there is a level cap I will never pay real money for a weapon, especially not considering the prices.

$4.99 maybe. $14.99 - no way.

I guess there are players who will pay that amount of money or they wouldn't offer weapons for that price. I just wonder if there were not more buying if the gear was cheaper.

100 people buying an item for 4.99 is worth more than 10 people buying an item for 14.99...
    Leader of Morbid Sinners, Elder in Morbid Saints and Morbid Souls
  • MetalMetal Member
    I agree, they need to lower there prices abit..
  • I like all your ideas there great. I waited till 20 to start buying hero weapons. And in no way want to purchase them again. I like the idea of being able to lvl to 21 and when you do traits have to be unlocked again
  • I like all your ideas there great. I waited till 20 to start buying hero weapons. And in no way want to purchase them again. So i say. Next Games please find a fix so all the hero weapons we paid for do not become obsolete .
  • SCBMA said:

If it was a set price to bump any piece of gear (purchased or not) I too think that would be a big money maker. Sorry @afroponix, I did not pick up on that with your post. I thought we were talking about only purchased gear.

falowyn said:

* At $3.99, an upgrade token would net NG far less money per purchase than a new item set each level.
    * Tokens do not resolve the problem of players buying items immediately before a patch feeling angry, because they would have to spend more cash again as soon as the patch comes out.
    * Tokens to upgrade the same items in perpetuity end the hunt to replace your top end gear that NG seems to want us to do as part of the end game experience.
    * Once players have gear with the exact traits they want, applying tokens to everything make the game feel far more like it's a Pay to Win title because it amplifies the power differential between FTP and spending customers.

I was originally talking only about specialized only can be purchased gear but take this into your equation nay Sayers that they would lose money without selling full package to some players(falowyn)those that want the full package and weapon, and those players just wanting to bump their weapon up a level....the ones paying for just the weapon level bump ARENT receiving the rest of the package, I.e. Gold/phones/survivor type upgrade tokens....how is that NOT FAIR?
  • afroponixafroponix Member
    edited March 23
    These were the weapons I originally proposed it for (weapons that can only be bought with money and this is the most complete list I could compile)

The token would only bump up the level of special paid for only weapons. (I.e., governors assault rifle, ricks assault, savior assault, sasha's silenced assault, assault uzi, gold Molotov, daryls diamond knife, carols blade, savior axe, pitchfork, kingdom spear, no parking! Sword, kingdom double-axe, martensite katana, michonnes katana, the kings scepter, Janai katana,, Jesus's lockpick, heaths swift crowbar, morgans staff [2 diff featured kinds], pine vista 9 iron, lucille, bloody lucille, Sasha's rifle, otis's deer rifle [2 diff featured kinds], daryls crossbow, daryls stolen crossbow [ridiculous because same exact features], dales lookout rifle, terminus rifle, trusty farm hand, cell lock defender, savior handgun, rick's revolver, import .57, see no evil, hear no evil, Carl's silenced gun, now the silenced uzi too....and a partridge in a pear tree) You would be paying to bump up the weapon only, you would not receive anything else in the package that came with it
  • afroponixafroponix Member
    edited March 23
    @Shteevie @Teeceezy check out the whole thread and my other ideas plz. I've been a game developer (think tank side)
  • I've also suggested in the past: I propose that you can build a blacksmith building at your camp using tomatos, and after building that you can purchase a token that can turn a maxed out, paid for lvl23 weapon into a maxed out lvl24 weapon.

These coins can cost 4.99 each? Proposed. Now we would be paying less to level up the weapon compared to buying a fresh one, but we're also no longer getting the package that usually comes with the weapon, plus most of us have paid for a lot of these weapons twice over already, I know I have.

If the blacksmith building isn't acceptable then how about a level up weapon coin that is only offered to be bought at the same time these weapons are offered to be bought for people that have never bought them before?

Please look into this proposal, I find it fair to all sides seeing as these weapons can't be gotten any other way and having to rebuy them every time a new level upgrade comes along is untenable for many long time players. Please look into this proposal., similar to what I said I'm past posts
  • falowynfalowyn Member
    How about very inexpensive cash tokens that can only upgrade purchased items once.

Applying the token to the purchased item allows players to upgrade it once. However, that item is now flagged as upgraded and can't have additional tokens applied to it in the future.

This way people can buy items knowing they will be viable for the duration of at least one full patch, and NG will preserve their end game economy.
    afroponix