Banned in the >>>

2 LIve Crew got banned in the USA for obscene lyrics in "As Nasty As They Wanna Be." Jim Morrison was brought up on charges for alleged lewd behavior in Florida. Ice T, before he starred in the predictable cops and courts drama Law & Order, in which he plays a police officer in the SVU, faced Congressional hearings over his band's song, "Cop Killer."

More recently, there was some forum drama.

Man, I don't know what happened that I missed, but apparently some shenanigans went down.
I have seen a few jail bars on posters' names, and at least one closed thread that hinted at the spark of the fire, but sadly, I can't easily figure out what was said to get the banhammer swinging again. Vshield's icon has been replaced, although he has been 'banned' and come back before, so maybe "User banned" just means "suspension."

In any case, I'm sorry I missed it. Based on my past experiences, I am inclined to support more heavy-handed forum discipline, but like any gawker at a car wreck, I want to know what I'm seeing. Or would have seen, had I driven by the wreck a little earlier.

If you do know the story, please don't post it here. That's against the rules, I guess.
PM me if you really want to share the background. I am curious.

But mostly I just wanted to comment on the fact something happened while I was sleeping, and I didn't want to derail some other thread by doing so.
And it gave me a chance to reference some songs, which is my favorite thing to do on the NML forums, and in general.

To make this thread more appropriate, I would encourage anyone else to tell the story of other banned material, without, obviously, posting anything that is inappropriate here. Language is good that way. You can just say what it is, and people who want to know can look it up themselves. I mean, I already talked about 2LiveCrew without getting dirty, and that's Hard!

For example, the cover of the Black Crows album Amorica was banned in some stores (ie Wal Mart), and censored in others as a result, because it featured the image of a female crotch in a thong that was taken from Hustler magazine. It really doesn't look that controversial to me, but apparently it shows a little bit of pubic hair. That was enough at the time to require CD stores (yes, there were such things), to sell it with a blacked out cover. I know because I worked at one.

The social standards of 1994 have expanded widely (pun intended) in the intervening years. These days former Disney stars getting freaky is less of a big deal and more of an obvious publicity stunt. But I'm old enough to know a time before the Internet took over, and "standards" meant a lot more back then, for better or worse.

The thing is, you can look up that cover if you want, but I'm deliberately not posting the image here.

Another example would be George Carlin's bit on the 7 dirty words. Some of them are more OK now than they used to be, and his bit was a little old even when I was young. But it holds up, and is also easy to look up.

So I'm not wanting anyone to get this thread immediately closed. But if you have a story of a banned thing to share, in a way that doesn't draw heat, please, do.

JackBauerJadenJenngCaptainslayerflyingcowking

Comments

• Before posting here please keep in mind rule number 3:
    You may not openly discuss any actions taken against you or your posts by a Next Games moderator, staff member or administrator.
  • MabikiMabiki Member
    edited September 11
    Yes @David_H79

I thought this part of my OP

"If you do know the story, please don't post it here. That's against the rules, I guess.
    PM me if you really want to share the background. I am curious."

Would take care of that concern, but it could be lost in my wordiness....

Anywho, that's only the catalyst for this post, not it's raison d'etre, as I hope is clear from the remainder of what I said.
    David_H79JadenJenng
  • Does the background story really matter ?
    -----------------
    Former Member of #nocarlclub
    capibarajester
  • Ah! But it is and will be impossible for me to talk about bans, banning, banishment and scarlet letters without using inappropriateness and or vulgarity. I'm tempted though @Mabiki, so nice try. :)
    ☠️Elder of DeadFamily guild ❤️ Get your dead on! ☠️
    JadencapibaraLightfeet
  • TJSTJS Member
    I notice there's be a rise in artists looking from behind the bars but I have no idea why. Seems like 50cent just dropped from the charts but I keep calm about it, there's a lot more music out there. Not sure why the invasion on The Doors, though I'm not a huge fan. Digesting disagreements about why black is black or blue is blue is something I see no rhyme or reason.
    Anywho, interesting why of though. I'm a music fan myself so I like the thought process. Time to listen to some Cranberries.
  • TJSTJS Member
    > @TJS said:
    > I notice there's be a rise in artists looking from behind the bars but I have no idea why. Seems like 50cent just dropped from the charts but I keep calm about it, there's a lot more music out there. Not sure why the invasion on The Doors, though I'm not a huge fan. Digesting disagreements about why black is black or blue is blue is something I see no rhyme or reason.
    > Anywho, interesting why of though. I'm a music fan myself so I like the thought process. Time to listen to some Cranberries.

Ps; watching the matrix while listening to the cranberries is dam frustrating
    deb1hd
  • Jenng said:

Ah! But it is and will be impossible for me to talk about bans, banning, banishment and scarlet letters without using inappropriateness and or vulgarity. I'm tempted though @Mabiki, so nice try. :)

I'm always game for you to DM me more vulgarities. :wink:
    Want to send me a private message? Just click here: @Bill_ZRT

If I'm bitten by a zombie, I'm probably not telling you.
    If you don't think that's bad, guess what, then you're tacky, too.
    Jenng
  • Just remember, you asked for it @Bill_ZRT :p :D
    ☠️Elder of DeadFamily guild ❤️ Get your dead on! ☠️
    Bill_ZRT
  • Jenng said:

Just remember, you asked for it @Bill_ZRT :p :D

Promises, promises... :wink:
    Want to send me a private message? Just click here: @Bill_ZRT

If I'm bitten by a zombie, I'm probably not telling you.
    If you don't think that's bad, guess what, then you're tacky, too.