Major flaw with Round Passes

To begin with, thanks for adding these, they're a great idea and certainly make challenges a lot less tedious to play. That said, on to the problems.

First the very obvious: I'm sure we'd all appreciate if we could earn them faster than 1 per 5 rounds. 1 per 4 or even 1 per 3 would be spectacular. Even less grind, straight to the interesting bits.

That's not the real reason I'm posting this, however. The main issue is as follows. For as long as your passes last you get double stars, double end-of-round crates and double round passes. Great, right? Here's the problem: double round passes only happens if you have 5 or more round passes to begin with. For any number of rounds other than multiples of 5, that bonus doesn't exist.

That being the case, it follows that if you use any number of round passes below 5, you're not only not getting any doubles on the passes, you're also gimping your potential for earning passes for next week by removing easier rounds from the beginning.

I think in terms of game design this is a massively bad choice, since so many players will struggle to get 5 round passes -- especially if they make the mistake of using a lower number of round passes to begin with. Ironically, the more round passes you earn without to getting 5, the worse off you'll be the following week.

The fix is very simple: instead of giving you 2 round passes if you earn a round pass with the bonus active, just count each round with the pass bonus active as 2 rounds. So if you have 2 round passes, you need to play 3 rounds to get your first pass. If you have 3 round passes, you play 3 rounds to get your first pass, then 4 more for the second. Four round passes means you play six rounds for two passes, 5 round passes means you play 5 for 2, etc.
DLichn1konSerpkjmia421HBK

Comments

• @Fearofabotplanet @Shteevie @Teeceezy

Is there some kind of ping function here? :*
  • > @Cantrip said:
    > @Fearofabotplanet @Shteevie @Teeceezy
    >
    > Is there some kind of ping function here? :*

@Cantrip you found it :)
  • DLichDLich Member
    edited September 13
    @Cantrip this is correct and I'll try and help others understand why this is true.

I will share my RSL 15 Start; 21 Triple round chart at the bottom to help explain this.

Let's suppose last week a player with all lvl 22's played 24 rounds. They couldn't quite make it to 25 but they got there to 24. 24 rounds with 0 round passes is making it up to 27.1. You completed every round up to and including 26.3

Now week 2 comes along and you get 4 round passes. You start on RSL 19 and make it to the same RSL... 26.3 but this time you have only played 20 rounds earning you another 4 round passes for next week. But if you wanted to try for that 5th round pass you'd have to make it past RSL 28.2

Week A - 0 passes used; 24 rounds completed; up to rsl 27.1; earn 4 passes
    Week B - 4 passes used; 20 rounds completed; up to rsl 27.1; earn 4 passes

If in week A you wanted to try and earn a 5th pass you'd have to defeat 27.1

but....

If in Week B you wanted to try and earn a 5th pass you'd have to defeat 27.1; 27.2; 27.3; 28.1; 28.2

This cycle will continue to happen until either you can defeat those final rounds or you take a week off from the challenge, have your round passes reset to 0 and then try again.

I noticed this when making my spreadsheet but held off on putting it on the forum as I didn't want to cause a mass hysteria; but Cantrip is correct in his assessment.

*edit... Here is the spreadsheet

Need to find a guild? Click here
    Need some strategy? Click here
    Have a suggestion? Click here
    Having an issue? Click here
    Want to have some fun? Click here
    Looking for some pasta that's creepy? Click here
    Want to hear what I have to say about this game? Click here
    Zette
  • I know many might not see it in this section of the forum and maybe that's for the best for now anyway.. People will find out soon enough though IMO.

**NOTE** If you can make it to a certain RSL each week your potential to earn the equal number of badges as last week is the same. I say potential because 24 rounds week A compared to 20 rounds week B is both 4 passes..... But 20 rounds week A compared to 16 rounds week B is clearly less passes.
    Need to find a guild? Click here
    Need some strategy? Click here
    Have a suggestion? Click here
    Having an issue? Click here
    Want to have some fun? Click here
    Looking for some pasta that's creepy? Click here
    Want to hear what I have to say about this game? Click here
  • @DLich

Yeah, I was concerned about this at the end of last challenge already, but I hoped I was wrong. I finally confirmed it today when I finished my 3rd round and didn't receive a pass. This needs to be addressed as quickly as possible. While round passes are still cause for celebration, this is a big problem with how they work.
    paintbeastp_heriankjmia421
  • I had a feeling something like this might be the case, but hadn't looked at it closely.
  • So is it safe to say that if you can earn 6 passes one week, by reachimg your max potential difficulty, then the following week, you'll probably top out at 5 passes, reaching the same max difficulty level?

But won't that mean by week 3 you'll likely be back to earning 6 passes, since you'll have a few more rounds unpassed on week 2?

I guess I'm not seeing the long term implications as so dire. Basically, you will earn 5 or 6 passes, and probably alternate. In the long run, you still skip at least 5 rounds, and once in a while, an extra round. Its not like you'll magically drop to 3 and 4 potential MAX...
    PigTJSCantrip
  • CantripCantrip Member
    edited September 14
    If you get 6 you should be able to stay above 5, but on 4 you're at a massive disadvantage when it comes to getting 5. It's not a game-breaker, but all in all it's just a senseless decision that should be re-evaluated.
    DLichn1kon
  • Yeah, I'm glad this has been brought up already. I was SO pumped for round passes but now I'm sadly not. Really hope this gets patched asap. Im confused how something like this gets through play testing without being corrected.
  • n1konn1kon Member
    edited September 14
    I agree, did I said that I agree!?
    On last week I was 2 mission short from 5th Round Pass... completed only 24 rounds but I said to myself OK, no issue, I will try to get 5th RP next week...
    Unfortunately this is not even possible... to get it I would need to finish round 29 o_O
    There is work around... I can ignore next challenge and get 0 RP and start from round 1 week after, but WTH :(
  • Dakamin said:

Yeah, I'm glad this has been brought up already. I was SO pumped for round passes but now I'm sadly not. Really hope this gets patched asap. Im confused how something like this gets through play testing without being corrected.

Play testing? What do you think we are doing now?

• Dakamin said:

Yeah, I'm glad this has been brought up already. I was SO pumped for round passes but now I'm sadly not. Really hope this gets patched asap. Im confused how something like this gets through play testing without being corrected.

Maybe the testers are too leveled up and didn't cap out at 4 rounds like some of us. Me, for instance.
  • CantripCantrip Member
    edited September 15

Dakamin said:

Maybe the testers are too leveled up and didn't cap out at 4 rounds like some of us. Me, for instance.
    Even so I feel like conceptually the problem should have been obvious, and I don't see why it was implemented the way it was in the first place. Simple laziness because it was easier to code in with the existing bonuses? Freak oversight? Who knows.
    thisdoesfineDakamin