Improve infuriatingly stupid and disobedient unit AI

Scenario 1:

I have dropped several 49ers into the launch zone. I drop a flag up at the front lines to tell them where to join the fighting. They head toward it for a few seconds, and then, while the flag is still pulsing, they veer off toward something else, not having covered half the distance yet. I drop another flag at the front lines. They say, "Oh, that way? Ok." They again walk a short ways toward it and again veer off to something shiny on the ground while the flag is still pulsing. I don't drop a third flag, because by now they're dead.

Scenario 2:

I have a couple of wranglers not far from an enemy tower that has a sliver of health left. I drop a flag right at the base of the tower. The wranglers go to it, and then begin shooting up the bank next to the tower. The tower deputy lazily takes shots at the wranglers until they're both dead.

I totally get that unit AI should not be so good that my units perform better without my direction than with it. That's the fun, being in charge and improving my own tactical skill. But if I drop a flag, every one of my units on the field should go toward it for as long as it pulses, or until they reach it. Period. No exceptions. Flags should be irresistible beacons that take priority over every other possible distraction on the field. Likewise, if a unit is equidistant from a threatening target and a non-threatening, non-essential target (Courthouse/refinery/oil rig being the only exceptions), they should ALWAYS shoot the threatening target first. I don't know how to give units any better directions than dropping a flag right at the enemy tower, since the game doesn't allow me to actually plant the flag ON the building. If they're next to it, and it's shooting them, they should have the minimal programming to shoot IT.

The scenarios above have resulted in my attacks failing more than once. Please fix the unit AI. Thank you.

Comments

• FragFrag Member Posts: 336
    There is nothing wrong with the AI. It's how you use the flags. With practice you get better at it. You can't have distractions close by or the troops will go for the closest. If you drop a flag too close to the distractions they will divert. The troops don't necessarily go exactly on the flag. They go close to the flag then attack what's closest.

I've read many threads about this and there really isn't an issue. I control mine perfectly but based on what I said above. If you want them to go somewhere don't plant the flag so close to other items. Flag a bit further away from all the action.
  • EKW514EKW514 Member Posts: 47
    Frag, I agree with what you've written to some extent, BUT, why is it then when you deploy fresh sidekicks they will head straight to the flag even if there are targets right where you drop them? Including outlaws shooting at them!

I can already see your answer about choosing where you deploy new sidekicks, but hopefully you will at least acknowledge the AI doesn't really make sense, you've just learned how to work with what's there.
  • XanthippusXanthippus Member Posts: 31
    Frag said:

There is nothing wrong with the AI. It's how you use the flags. With practice you get better at it. You can't have distractions close by or the troops will go for the closest. If you drop a flag too close to the distractions they will divert. The troops don't necessarily go exactly on the flag. They go close to the flag then attack what's closest.

I've read many threads about this and there really isn't an issue. I control mine perfectly but based on what I said above. If you want them to go somewhere don't plant the flag so close to other items. Flag a bit further away from all the action.

Thank you for your comment. In the first case, the flag was far away from the distractions, not close. I dropped it deep in enemy territory where most of my troops already were. The new troops, dropped at the starting launch zone, headed for the flag briefly, then turned aside before covering a quarter of the distance to it, while the flag was still pulsing (and then did it again for a second flag). In the second case, the flag was smack in front of the nearly destroyed deputy tower, not the adjacent building. The wranglers reached the flag, and then started shooting the other building. This seems like a very simple issue of making sure units target threats before non-threats.

Even if what you say is true and there are nuances to flag placement and troop AI that I'm not aware of, is this documented anywhere by the developers? I haven't seen such. It seems far more likely that troop AI is buggy or poorly coded, and as a result produces inconsistent and counterintuitive behavior.

Maybe you are right ekw. I learned to play with what's there. But any game you play as their little things you need to learn. Be it a shooting game. A racing game. It could be poorly coded but I find its ok except maybe the odd weird reaction.
    EKW514
  • EKW514EKW514 Member Posts: 47
    A grudging maybe? I'll take it Frag. LOL.
    Lol