Spoofers!!! They are still among us!

Marbo417Marbo417 Member Posts: 89
I hesitated a while before posting this.  I know it's going to bring  a lot of comments.  But I had the proof recently that spoofers still exist in Our World.  I was naive enough to believe that everything had already been done for detecting and banning those cheaters from the game.  It took Niantic about a year to achieve that and I though that Next Game had solved this problem once and for all.  But recently I had the proof that it is not the case.

Two weeks ago when we had that bait event, My team organized a huge bait party one night. The location of it was a far remote little town in
the province of Quebec in Canada.  There is only one player in that town playing this game.  There is no freeway nearby.  The site of the bait party was a the end of a very sinuous country road. You can't find more remote than that.  So we start our bait party, we bought a lot of them with gold.   And suddenly we started seing new names in the baits appearing.  Names of players we had never seen before.  I checked rapidly and they came from a team in south america.  I won't tell the name of the team even if I could because I can't know for sure how many of those players were cheating.   So how in hell first did they new that there was a bait party there?  And second how did they got there?  When we do a jointed teams bait party, in my knowledge, it takes one member from each team making a flare at the bait party location in order for all the players of both teams to have acces to this site.  But it is not what happenned that time.  What I finally learned later after asking a lot of questions,  it's that one member of our team had friends in that foreign team and gave them the coordinates of the site.That player is not with us anymore. The most frustrating thing is that none of those players contributed to the bait party, they did not put any new ones.  They just used ours and left.  

And then,  JZom, who is a veteran player and must know what he talks about,  informs me that a majority of the top teams are not buying flares anymore??  Realy?  So how do they provide their team with good sites and complete the game so fast?  I realy doubt they all live in the same town around the same prime spot.  lol.

Comments

• zbotzbot NML Legendary Moderator, OW Moderator Posts: 7,335
    @Marbo417 best thing is to get a screenshot of the group and contact in-game support and let NG handle it if you suspect spoofers.

Marbo417
  • RangorRangor Member Posts: 3
    Yes. I do not know why there are so many spoofers in this game. I heard that next games does not have a way to catch them and only when people report are they caught. Pokemon has spoofers too but they have detection by the game itself. Also a couple weeks ago many top teams were flared into a bait party. It was the bait event. And it was Filipe who flared us in with no cooldown. How did that happen?
  • Marbo417Marbo417 Member Posts: 89
    edited November 2020
    @JZom ok. I see. My bad,  I misinterpreted what you said. thanx for the explanation. In fact, this is what I see too. Some players are still investing a lot in flares. I could never do that. My budget does not permit it.  As for the spoofing. I understand that it might be difficult because of the flares to detect those players using a fake gps.  In pokemon go it was finally a very simple trick that got them banned.  Niantic evaluated what was the most distance one player could do in a certain amount of time. lets say by taking a plane.  and then, every player who were traveling more than that got their account temporarily banned (2 weeks) the first time.  If it happenned again, that player was permanently banned.  With the teams in our worl that are more more international now ... and flares coming up from everywhere.... How can they detect it?   I wonder.  But I do think that Next Game is concerned about the problem. 
    Yes , I think it sure is.  But it does not give the same liberty of movement.  But it was indeed greatly appreciated by all players.  Spoofers use their app to get acces to the best spots in the world  like Semarang city in Indonesia I kept seing poping up here and there in the top teams I visited,  That spot is so densely filled with everything that it is even hard to collect crates on the ground.  And they use it also to get to baits party everywhere. And another aspect I am suspecting that it is being use for is finding rapidly raider's bases.  But that is hard to get proof of it.
  • MightyMidgetPamMightyMidgetPam Member Posts: 7
    Free  roam   does nothing when you can spook your location to a  continent away,   There are not enough  free roams  to  travel  that  fair  fairly if you have no team  members there 

• DahliaDahlia OW Moderator Posts: 515
    @Rangor... Do you really think that Filipe flared you all into a bait Party?  Isn't it much more likely that someone pretending to be Filipe and Spoofing was the person going around flaring in teams?   
    Carnage
    To goal of this post was to expose a situation that still exists and gives certain unscrupulous players a direct advantage over others.  I don't think it's the role of legit players to expose the ones who cheats  at least not in public.  That's why I did not give any names here.  But the situation MUST be exposed. It can't be kept secret.   And what I would like to know from Next Game is that they know of the problem (which I am sure they do)   and what is being done to prevent it in a near future.  That's all.  I am pretty sure that the introduction of the free roam inside the game was to equalized things a little bit.  And I can tell you that it is a new feature that I personnally love!  Especially considering the fact that my neighbourhood is not as well garnished as other players'.  

In the situation I mentionned above,  I could not take screenshots of the names of the players appearing in our baits because it needs only ONE spoofer to give acces to his entire team with one flare.  So which player was it?  I could not know. 
    Carnage
  • CarnageCarnage Member Posts: 21
    your post then makes no logical sense?
    the game has a design where you are able to report suspicious or suspicions of breach of Terms & Conditions and as stated above a simple in game report as such with detailed information giving full names would have allowed NG to investigate at the time all players at that bait and any who had attended in an inappropriate manner by means of spoofing would have potentially been found, so to post on the forum that you suspect it’s happening but to effectively do nothing is quite literally pointless?
    Making bold statements without facts is also pointless and again on an open forum the fact that one has been submitted and also allowed to be aired without any warning I also find a bit confusing? I am here referring to the Candyland statement and for the record I’m not associated to them or do I know them, I thought the process of reporting was to be done privately? So this entire thread should really be treated as defamatory and disrespectful as it serves no purpose but to cause argument. 
    Marbo417sasbalas
    @JZom if you reported it, leave it to NG.  NG can tell who’s not playing fair.  It seems like based on what you wrote you reported it but you don’t agree with the results.  Just because you have suspicions doesn’t make it true.  

The best thing players can do is report it and leave it up to NG to take care of it.
    Carnage
    Yeah my first "disagree"  by someone first post ever and with no face!!!! Finally some attention!
    Let's go back to the the top of this post....  guess I was  right. :wink:

Marbo417 said:
    I hesitated a while before posting this.  I know it's going to bring  a lot of comments....
    edited November 2020
    @Marbo417 thing is I don’t disagree with you, I just question why you didn’t see fit to report it? 
    Spoofing absolutely 100% still exists within this platform and it is our responsibility to report it when we are aware or have suspicion of it’s presence, just because I don’t have a picture doesn’t give you the right to cast aspersions on me? I simply don’t believe in name & shame NG have proved time again they are very proactive at acting on irregular or breaches on suspicious accounts and are also more willing to act if a player or team is known to be breaking the T&Cs of the game, they have a reporting policy and many other ways we can communicate our concerns so to come here post what you have and simply be speculative whilst stating you failed to act is to me absolutely pointless.

*added profile picture to ease your tiny mind
    Marbo417
  • BemxuuBemxuu OW Moderator Posts: 52
    edited November 2020
    Ok, guys, not gonna speak as a mod, just as your fellow player.

Every system to detect spoofing is imperfect, which means it can give both correct predictions and false ones, mistakes. There are 2 kinds of mistakes: false positive (you claim someone is a spoofer when he isn't) and false negative (you claim someone isn't a spoofer when as a matter of fact he is). There is a number of cases like that, where you cannot say for sure, and you have to tune your system to give you the least consequential mistake. For instance, in the field of medicine people prefer to have false positives: a false positive in the worst case - the guy does some other tests and they will show he's healthy, false negative - you just decided not to help the guy who is actually sick. In case of cheat detection in games it's the opposite - companies prefer to have false negatives since the consequences are lower in those cases - at least you won't get sued. I don't say it's 100% fair to us, not even sure it's exactly how it works in NG, but that's the logic in most cases.

I understand - and mostly share - your fury. I showed screenshots of guys admitting to spoofing, a stats spreadsheet where one inconsiderate player put in a column for spoofing status of all his members (spoiler alert: not all were "no"), mathematical models of stats in relation to trend lines etc. No one was instantly banned, which made me feel soul crushed. But I know my messages are not lost. They are still there as red flags on those guys' accounts. So if you have proof - please report cheating with proof via Tech Support. It might not be a sufficient reason for a ban, but it might help tip the scale next time this player decides to bend the rules.

Okay, I'm back to being a mod :) Please follow the rules. I would like to quote these two I see as the most likely to be broken to make sure I don't have to take any actions against you which I would hate to do:
    1. Don't Be Toxic. We will not tolerate rudeness, abuse, harassment or trolling of any kind and will take immediate action when necessary. Any abuse towards staff or moderators of this forum will absolutely not be tolerated.
      It won't solve anything by itself.
    2. Do not discuss cheating, hacking, game exploits. Talking or discussing cheating, hacking or game exploits. This also includes discussion on how to play OW on unsupported services or devices.
      Seriously. Do not describe any specifics of hacks and cheats. By doing so publicly you only advertise cheating, but you're always welcome to share details via Tech Support if you think it's something probably haven't heard of yet.
    "Bemxuu way is the only way" (c Filipe 2021)
    CarnageMarbo417Pain Walker
    @Bemxuu
    i absolutely agree with that entire statement thank you 
    @Bemxuu Thanx.  This is exactly the reply I was waiting for.  But I do disagree on one point.  When I am investing hundreds of dollars in a game,  and I know for sure that there is cheating around,  I just can't keep that a secret.  If Carnage had taken the time to read completly my post from the beginning, we would have seen why I could not report the team or any player in it.  I did not want an "innocent " player get banned because of one or more cheaters in his team. The policy of this forum do say that we should not talk about cheating and exploit openly.  The way I understand that is that no one should encourage players to cheat or use an exploit.  But here, it is not the case.  Here I am telling every player that it does exist,  I am not advertising it. I want, as a very good custumer of your company,  a satisfying answer of what is being done to prevent it.  

Concerning abuses of language and insults.  Having someone first ever post in here openly offensive, and not understanding at all my point is insulting.  And I am very sorry if I have fallen into irony in my reply.   I am already very tired of people coming in here pretanding to know everything about the game, insulting players who don't share their point of view and making observations concerning their level of knowledge.  

I have made many  suggestions to improve this game, probably more than anyone else,  some were better than others I must admit.  I am investing a lot of time in them.  I took 3 days to come up with a fully developped proposal for PvP even if i am not a big fan of it...... how many comment?  1    So I don't think i am deserving all the aggressivity that I am receiving in the comments.
    @Marbo417

"What I finally learned later after asking a lot of questions,  it's that one member of our team had friends in that foreign team and gave them the coordinates of the site.That player is not with us anymore."

Basically you had a spoofer in your group who invited other spoofers.  Report it and let NG take care of it.  Does it suck that it happened?  Yes, but as players, reporting is the best option.  Your concern about innocent player is noted but NG can figure it out. 

Marbo417
  • BemxuuBemxuu OW Moderator Posts: 52
    edited November 2020
    @Rangor this quote is from Filipe's comment in another thread:

In regards to the NG_xxx account screenname screenshot from a few weeks ago, please know that none of those account belong to any NG employees. NG employees do not identify themselves in game as NG employees. 

@Marbo417 I didn't say rules were already broken, I said those to rules were most likely to be broken :)
    "Bemxuu way is the only way" (c Filipe 2021)
    Neets
  • NG_FilipeNG_Filipe Community Manager, Staff Posts: 541
    Hello Guys,

If you suspect of someone, please send a message to Player Support with screenshots of flares/Players that you suspect, and we will investigate.

There is no point on arguing this here. Stay safe
    Carnage
This discussion has been closed.