I THOUGHT they were making challenge changes to benefit us

When I saw they were going to one challenge a week I thought....finally they listened to the users.

People had complained about:
Never getting a break
Having to grind through too many easy challenges
Having to get on all the time if they were going to maximize stars

As it turns out, the challenge just lasts almost twice as long, there are even MORE easy levels to have to get through, you have a chance to get almost twice as many stars so you still have to get on all the time...and as an added bonus....the rewards got lessened and because you can get much further than before, the gas is even more expensive

I'm not sure how this answers any of the reasons people were quitting the game.
jt41SgtSalamiCindyLouSmittYMjpDeadBeatInvaderPain WalkerDegreaser

Comments

• CindyLouCindyLou Member Posts: 112
    Stop playing the challenges
    Labyrinth
  • Penny_Eva_3630Penny_Eva_3630 Member Posts: 10
    I couldn't work out why everyone was so excited by the changes, I was the only one in my guild that was concerned. I've finished the in game missions so I only play the challenges but I've lost the incentive to play because I'm earning less crates now.
    [Deleted User]Invader
  • Black_JackBlack_Jack Member Posts: 278
    OP may be better, I raided almost 8k tg today first time I gave it a serious go because the rewards are useless now in the challenge and I've reached my limit at 120 stars
    [Deleted User]
  • SleestakSleestak Member Posts: 38
    Wow cindylou, you have totally solved the issue. Don't say anything to try to make anything better....just stop playing the challenges! That is amazing advice!

Wait...you have inspired me to help others on the board with this school of thought.

For those of you who have had problems with:

Gas costing too much -- stop using gas
    Collecting experience points for upgrades takes too long -- stop upgrading
    Survivors disappearing -- stop looking for them
    Upgrades taking too long -- don't look at the clock
    Help...I'm homeless and live under a bridge -- just get a good job
    I am addicted to crack -- just say no to drugs

Ok...I think we can shut down the message boards now
    [Deleted User]SgtSalamiInvader[Deleted User]
  • mongo911mongo911 Member Posts: 939
    @Sleestak, this wonderful game has frustrated most of the long time players

What is delt with, is a disjointed and somewhat unbalanced, always changing, game expierence...

Join the club in increasing levels of frustration...
    I am easily confused by other people's, laziness and sloppiness and greed...

Any guess who might " now " be on my list, ( in 2017 )

[Deleted User]CindyLouPenny_Eva_3630
  • SgtSalamiSgtSalami Member Posts: 554
    it is clear that the gas costs are too large and the rewards are too small. Because of the increased gas costs and no scale for elimination of early levels based on player level, it is still a grind. Is it all just a way to twist us to make us buy gold? it seems so. And my game crashes all the time....
    CindyLou[Deleted User]
  • CindyLouCindyLou Member Posts: 112
    Sleestak said:

Wow cindylou, you have totally solved the issue. Don't say anything to try to make anything better....just stop playing the challenges! That is amazing advice!

Wait...you have inspired me to help others on the board with this school of thought.

For those of you who have had problems with:

Gas costing too much -- stop using gas
    Collecting experience points for upgrades takes too long -- stop upgrading
    Survivors disappearing -- stop looking for them
    Upgrades taking too long -- don't look at the clock
    Help...I'm homeless and live under a bridge -- just get a good job
    I am addicted to crack -- just say no to drugs

Ok...I think we can shut down the message boards now

I agree with your original post 100% and I promise you there was no snark in my post. I just don't know what else to do. After the end of the second day and I was only on level 11 on every map (except death trap and delivery man) I just quit playing them. .
    ggbats
    @zoson...

Errr... Is that reasoning, a standard company line of pre written responses...

[Deleted User]InvaderPenny_Eva_3630[Deleted User]
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    No, I just did the math right now. The statements in the original post are completely ridiculous and flat out wrong. The numbers don't lie. We're grinding more than 30% less than before. At the same time we get more challenge attempts at the mission levels appropriate to our survivors, which means more chances at gold cards at the end of missions, which also means more chances at legendary equipment appropriate to our survivor's levels.

The only thing that didn't change for the better and wasn't basically directly asked for by us players was the reduction in overall trade good reward amount. The new challenge system is almost exactly what we asked for.
    gabriel_lwh
    @zoson...

Within that small part of this game, what you wrote is simplisticly correct...

But the total dynamics of that part of the game, has become massively un satisfying...

[Deleted User]Invader
    Please articulate what about it is unsatisfying in a manner that isn't demonstrably and measurably incorrect. All I've seen so far are subjective complaints not based in fact.
    [Deleted User]
    Sorry @CindyLou ...I DID think you were being snarky. My apologies.

@zoson......I'm sure that doing the math for the period of a week's time, you are correct. But I also know how it FEELS during the challenge itself.

If you want to do right by your guild and get as many stars as you can during this new challenge, you have to:

A. Get on more often than before
    B. Churn through even more easy, levels than before that present no challenge except challenging you as to how many levels you can get in at work without your boss seeing you
    C. Get in even fewer levels at a time because with the increasing gas prices at higher levels

So, while the one challenge a week gives you a couple of days off that we didn't get before, it makes the days DURING the challenge even more boring, painful and tedious.
    BttlOpenerCindyLou[Deleted User]Leon_UK
    The amount you have to get on and play has not changed, and is not related to the structure of the challenge in any way at all. This is solely, and completely, dictated by the size of your gas tank and the 10 minute per gas timer. Neither of these things changed. If you are maximizing your stars, you get on as much as it takes to not waste gas by having a full tank.

Your points B and C are contradictory and basically say the exact opposite of each other. One is you have to play more, the other is you get to play less. Again the only fact here is we're playing more than 30% fewer missions over an entire week now than we did before.

The only message that I can really take away here is you're implying that people who are low level should not benefit from the challenge. Removing the lower level missions would hurt new players.

Again, you're also letting your *feelings* misguide you from what is actually the reality. with 50 fewer maps per week that we have to grind through, we're spending less gas and less time on the challenge.
    Penny_Eva_3630
  • Sipher07Sipher07 Member Posts: 591
    Stars don't translate to better rewards at the cost of more time to play and more gas wasted on junior levels. That's the summary
    Invader
    You are obviously missing my point entirely or just feel like being argumentative.

let me try this....

You have a 40 hour a week job working 5 days a week.....so over 4 weeks, you spend 160 hours a week working and you get 8 days off. It costs you $10 a day to get to and from work....so $200

Your company says...hey we are doing you a favor because you asked for something better. We are just going to have you work 15 hours a day including weekends for 10 days straight. Oh and even though you have the same amount of money to spend each day, it's going to cost you $50 a day to get to and from work on the two weekend days. As an added bonus....what you do at work during those 10 days has just become twice as boring.

You say...hey...this is really not that great....im soooooooo tired....this work is so boring and seems to last twice as long....I'm getting sick from being worn down.....because of the extra cost to get here on weekends, that week, I can't take my family out do do anything fun and they're unhappy.

They say, quit whining....it DOESNT last twice as long, it just seems that way...you are actually spending 10 hours a month less at work than you were before...you spend $20 less a month on transportation. Instead of 8 days off a month, you get 18. What's the problem? We are awesome!

So...in this case...math doesn't outweigh how it feels.
    Noprogamer16CindyLou
    "160 hours a week" was supposed to be 160 hours a month...just in case you feel like pointing out an error rather than listening to what is being said.
    Noprogamer16CindyLou[Deleted User]blynknz
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    edited May 2016
    Yeah @Leon_UK already did the job analogy in the thread about if this challenge was like a job.

I know a lot of people are frustrated still but I think this is a step in the right direction. If they would make some more adjustments then it will definitely be a move and not just a step in the right direction. My biggest complaint right now is the lower levels are sooooooo boring to do over and over till I get to the levels where I have to actually pay attention. Since NG did listen to the outcry (It looks like a majority of players prefer one challenge a week but clearly not all of them) to go back to one challenge, it does show that they are willing to make changes.

To me it looks like the next question isn't will they make more changes to the challenge system to help us with the grinding but how long before the next changes to help players with the grinding.
    ggbats
  • SpacemanSpiffSpacemanSpiff Member Posts: 634
    And now for the next 1-day,23-hrs., people can meditate and ponder the meaning of life...and stuff :smile:
    SlickRickant[Deleted User]
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    edited May 2016
    @SpacemanSpiff

If that actually happens you and I should donate all of our gold to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    SpacemanSpiff
    If the changes are so great why don't people like them?

The reason I play the challenges is to earn trade goods/ crates ( the Stars are just an added bonus for my guild) How is it a good thing that I'm earning less?

The reduction in cool down time is useless. When I have some spare time to play I'm being limited by the gas prices & have to stop after 15 minutes to let my gas refill.

Even worse, I now have to play the same boring challenge over & over instead of a new challenge every few days. :(

Noprogamer16JadenCindyLouzoson
  • Noprogamer16Noprogamer16 Member Posts: 38
    I posted something similar.... I'm not going to bother. It would have been a good weekend to spend time on the weekly/weekend challenge earning XP (it's rainy here). But, I'd rather clean house lol than repeat boards that I've already repeated many times over already.
    Oh, I forgot to mention I'm also earning less XP!

I guess this is a good thing,- I can start doing something more productive & less boring with my time.
    Noprogamer16ggbatsInvader[Deleted User]
    The only reason why you would be earning less xp is if you're not optimizing your gas tank. You still earn the same amount of gas. Again, that hasn't changed. The amount of XP per kill also hasn't changed.

If anything, the overall reduction in gas cost caused by the direct reduction in number of challenge missions we have to do per week would INCREASE the amount of XP you can earn. You have more gas available to do exploration missions for XP now than before, because you had to spend a LOT more gas doing challenges in the two challenge per week system.

The only valid argument I've heard is about variety. I cautioned in many threads before about going back to one challenge a week causing a lack of variety. Yes, all the low level maps are front loaded now, instead of some coming at the beginning of the week, and some coming at the end of the week. But again, the number of low level challenge maps we have to do has remained relatively unchanged. It could be argued that man, the end of the challenge is so much better! It's much more interesting! I get half a challenge of interesting high level maps! Oh wait, that's exactly the same thing as before... Just they're all lumped together now. Which is again, what we asked for.

The primary things that people asked for were:
    1. A break from the challenge like we had before. (achieved)
    2. More level appropriate chances at loot for all level players. (achieved)
    3. Less overall commitment to the challenge. (achieved with >30% reduction in commitment)
    4. Rewards more in line with level. (achieved, but in a bad way that reduced overall reward amount)
    SlickRickCrazyDMystiquePenny_Eva_3630Pain Walker
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    edited May 2016
    edit. Post was cut off somehow
    CrazyD