Special 4-day holiday Event this weekend??

Comments

• TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    @SlickRick you ought to know the Finnish holiday year due to your roots ;)

Next Finnish holiday is Midsummer, which I believe is around June 24 and think is a pretty big deal. And then there aren't any until X-mas.
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    SlickRicklmfgunnut
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    Haha thanks @C_Lloyd ...I've heard of that place...but I heard it's dangerous too :)

@TheLostOnes Yeah you would think...my dad's side of the family has been shirking their heritage lessons!! We need a massive group to get together then around June 17th then and push for massive events...marking it on my calendar...thanks buddy!!
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
  • GreenBalloonGreenBalloon Member Posts: 316
    While this is an international game, The Walking Dead is a U.S. show. I'm sure that even from Finland, NG knows the show is filmed in Georgia and while AMC is an international tv network, it's headquartered in NY. If this where a BBC show, I'd fully expect it to incorporate UK holidays.
    LadyAquilamasmith93ggbats
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,344
    C_Lloyd said:

Keep in mind guys, this is an international game and many countries have celebrated holidays that are just as big and important where they are from and haven't received any special events or gifts because of them. NG is also based out of Finland, not the USA. So i'm thinking your chances aren't very good. I would stick to asking for events on the more widely celebrated holidays and hope for the best. This one is a tad to country specific i'm thinking :p

Yes this fact has been made abundantly clear. more so to some than others.
    edited May 2016

While this is an international game, The Walking Dead is a U.S. show. I'm sure that even from Finland, NG knows the show is filmed in Georgia and while AMC is an international tv network, it's headquartered in NY. If this where a BBC show, I'd fully expect it to incorporate UK holidays.

@GreenBalloon

I had no idea AMC is headquartered in NY. I live in New York. Where exactly are they located in NY?
    hottexas
  • mongo911mongo911 Member Posts: 939
    At. 11 Penn Plaza NewYork City

East of Madison Sq Garden...
    I am easily confused by other people's, laziness and sloppiness and greed...

Any guess who might " now " be on my list, ( in 2017 )

@mongo911

I wish I had known that last time I was in "the city".
    It's just a Corp Office... ( maybe sum tourist stuff ... )

[Deleted User]
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    I never understood why the UK has "bank holidays" just for the sake of having a bank holiday.

US banks get a break too but it's because banks are closed on a holiday that occurs for another reason: Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, etc.

Isn't there a better reason to have a holiday than the banks need a break? They can be closed as well but can't the holiday itself be about something?
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988

Amiga said:

In UK next Monday is spring bank holiday that's all. Nothing special ;) but most important it's day off from work ;)))

Most likely because Wall Street and all our federal offices/buildings (including banks) are closed. Banking is too international not to be synced. While the government doesn't own the banks, they are regulated and insured by the FDIC.
    Lol, you do realise the rest of the world can survive if the US banks are closed. The bank holiday has nothing to do with Memorial day.

Sorry, @MadPuppy, very US-centric thinking by me. It's hard to keep track of what holidays are universal sometimes.
    !

It's easy. If its a generic holiday that does not relate just to the US, then it is generally a universal thing.* (i.e. xmas, easter)
    Otherwise it's limited. (i.e. Indenpendance day, thanksgiving, memorial day...)

*Obviously not all countries are founded on Christianity, and would not celebrate those days.
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    The US is not the only country in the world, and it's holidays are irrelevant to most of the world.

However, the US is huge in terms of population and expendable income. If another country drops more money on this game, I'd be pretty shocked. Perfectly reasonable to expect a company seeking to earn money to cater to US customers.

If you look closely, you may notice that this website is in English, which isn't the most spoken language in the world. It isn't even second. It is spoken by the people with the most cash. That might be why they chose it over their own Finnish or Swedish, or the more popular Chinese or Spanish.

Just saying. Merica
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

masmith93
    lmfgunnut said:

If you look closely, you may notice that this website is in English, which isn't the most spoken language in the world. It isn't even second. It is spoken by the people with the most cash. That might be why they chose it over their own Finnish or Swedish, or the more popular Chinese or Spanish.

Just saying. Merica

And are you sure that there isn't another forum out there for those languanges.
    Maybe forums.nextgames.cn

But hey, im not really complaining if they have a few extra (free) promotions that coincide with the US holidays
    Hey they have a 4th of July in Finland...

( if they say they don't, they are lying... )

masmith93
    @blynknz could be. But I've seen people posting here in several languages, and many posts where the author struggles through with English. If there were a native language forum for them, why not use it?

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

masmith93
    mongo911 said:

Hey they have a 4th of July in Finland...

( if they say they don't, they are lying... )

Well yes, every country has a July 4th, unless they don't use the Gregorian calendar
    BttlOpener[Deleted User]
    lmfgunnut said:

@blynknz could be. But I've seen people posting here in several languages, and many posts where the author struggles through with English. If there were a native language forum for them, why not use it?

There might not be another site, I'm not saying there is. But you just assume that there isn't because you use this one.

You know there are multiple google sites?
    google.com
    google.cn
    google.co.nz
  • masmith93masmith93 Member Posts: 3,522
    But that's Google...
    Proud member of the Empty Memorial Club.
    WHMGTYSNNBC - Retirement Guild Leader
    Coming soon to Finland to hug Teeceezy.
    This space intentionally left blank.
    I'm aware that many internet companies have localized websites. Doesnt change the fact that this game is targeted primarily at the US market.

SlickRickLadyAquila
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    I'm Finnish by heritage but straight up American Gangster...and I feel like that the money that @lmfgunnut and I have "donated" to NG could help fund a server farm expansion

So as the leader of the Bud Light Party and Dark Overlord of WHMGTYSNNBC Guild and with my co-council @lmfgunnut present we would like to formally request a combination 1 minute gas and triple XP scrapping event for the upcoming American Memorial Day holiday weekend

Those who wish not to participate in said event (if granted) have the ability not to click on the tiny picture of Daryl Dixon's face on your phones, tablets, computers, or any other such devices

Thanks for your consideration :)
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    masmith93TheLostOnesLadyAquila
  • masmith93 said:

Why wouldn't we ask for a special for the US holiday weekend? We ask for lots of stuff that mostly gets ignored. We're not going to stop now. B)

I've been asking for the screen to stop moving forever. asking them for anything is a waste of my time
    [Deleted User]
    edited May 2016
    Yes this game is run by a Finish company. That is a f***in' fact but it is based on an American tv series, based on an American graphic novel series, filmed on American locations, that features characters who are Americans, with storylines that are based out of American locations, written by an American writer, produced by The American Movie Network, which is an American company also the game gets delivered to people world wide by American companies. The US version of English is spoken on the forum which could very well be hosted on an American web-hosting site so yeah asking that more American holidays get celebrated should not be a reason for people to take offense or surprising.
    LadyAquila
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Member Posts: 2,831
    As for me, I find it completely logical for a US game to be US centric. And while I am aware of a bunch of uniquily US stuff and have been on vacation there twice now, I was not current on the Memorial Day date.

Hence the question: "what holiday".

I'd compare it to 4th of May in my area, where we have our memorial day, followed by 5th of May Liberation day (which was for a big part thanks to the US).
    LadyAquila
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,364
    Nooooooo pleaseeeeee. No more weekend events!!!
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    @DarkFae, don't forget the main actor is actually British. So all this "America" and they choose a British lead
    :lol:
    Vintage_Bull
  • LightfeetLightfeet Member Posts: 1,062
    @lmfgunnut I think you're wrong with your assumption that this game is mainly targeted for the US market.

It simply is easier to use English as base and thus universal language for all countries i/o translating everything. That would be too much for this kind of game.

Same applies for this forum. Forums for each individual country would 1. be to small and 2. would prevent that all players around the world would easily be able to exchange experiences.

P.S.: Sorry for "struggling" with your language. I'm a dumb German only. ;) :p
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    NG obviously wants to be "international" to avoid stepping on sensitive national toes.

But they did screw up last month when they had the "Spring Cleaning" event and the "Spring Gift."

Very northern-hemisphere biased! I'm sure all the Brazilian and Australian players were confused :)
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    MadPuppyLadyAquilaSlickRicklmfgunnut
This discussion has been closed.