Cycle rewards doubled - Challenges being made ever less relevent?

BismarckBismarck Member Posts: 45
In the beginning, Challenges were the only way to collect TG. Then came Outposts, and the two features existed side by side as a way to collect TG. Then NG nerfed the TG rewards from Challenges, which made Challenges much less relevant in the game than they had been in the past. Now, we see that cycle rewards are being doubled. While on the surface this may seem as a way of throwing us a bone after nerfing Challenge rewards, what it really does is further shift the balance of TG income away from Challenges and on to Outposts.

My question to NG is what is going to be done to keep Challenges relevant? Currently, in terms of fuel cost to reward ratio, Challenges are the least efficient use of fuel. Some of us enjoy Challenges, and I would like to see something done to keep them meaningful.
Empty Memorial Club Survivalist
Member of Mad Canada
#1 on Panamanian challenge leaderboard
Invadermasmith93

Comments

• theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    Well this would explain their quick and haphazard approach to how they scaled the gas & rewards for the 5-day Challenge schedule.
    Back from 2016 :p
    Well this would explain their quick and haphazard approach to how they scaled the gas & rewards for the 5-day Challenge schedule.
    stolen
  • BismarckBismarck Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2016
    It makes good business sense for them to emphasize the PvP aspect of the game, as competition in PvP is much tighter, and the incentive to spend money to stay on top greater. But it's all coming at the cost of Challenges. Their importance is being phased out.
    Member of Mad Canada
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    @Bismarck

I agree that they are pushing Outposts a lot more now that they "seem" to be fixing a lot of the issues with it...but until the top guilds disband or people start abandoning a lot of the social aspects they enjoy from their guild I think a lot of people will still continue to prioritize challenges the way they always have...I haven't raided in weeks and unless something unforeseen happens I will make my guild and the challenges my main focus

But yeah I can do without the insane fuel costs at level 21 and up
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    In addition to what Slick said (Challenges are how guilds compete) they did just roll out a whole new Challenge map. So you can rest easy for a while me thinks.
    edited June 2016
    Double post
    Member of Mad Canada
    True, we did get a new map, and those of us who enjoy Challenges will continue to do them. I just don't like feeling that I'm shooting myself in the foot every time I do them because I am using my fuel so inefficiently. I can get better Supply/XP/Equipment rewards from Exploration and better TG rewards from Outposts. Challenge rewards are out of balance.
    Member of Mad Canada
    Invader
    @Bismarck

You can argue that it's been that way for a long time...until I get to level 19-20 and up I can get much better rewards from XP side missions...the inefficiency of the rewards at the lower levels or having to do them over and over to get to the good stuff have been issues for as long as I can remember...whether they do anything to fix them remains to be seen...I'm not holding my breath.

The good news is if you're not gung-ho on the challenges is there are tons of guilds who have very low star requirements and just enjoy the fun of the game more than chasing stars...I don't know if you're feeling pressure to perform on the challenge from your current guild but if so you have alternatives if you would rather focus on other stuff...either way the issues are still there...just remember you have 100% control over how and what you play.

Best wishes!!
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    Lots of guilds are pressure cookers, and those that are exist primarily for the competition. Good thing they have a description telling you if you have to do stars (and how many) >:) .
    SlickRick
    Rick, I'm in a casual guild so there is no pressure there - I do Challenges because I want to. And I'm not disputing one bit that Challenge rewards have been unbalanced for a long time. I agree with you 100%, which is why I find this latest change concerning. Instead of fixing the imbalance, NG is only making it worse.
    Member of Mad Canada
    edited June 2016
    Also, the wording in the in-game news update announcing this change is quite ambiguous. Does the double cycle rewards apply to this cycle only, or all future cycles? I presume it is all future cycles, but my English is not very good and I can only get the news in English.
    Member of Mad Canada
    @Bismarck It's only for the current Cycle.
    PR0DJ
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    In the beginning, challenges provided gold chests, not TG's. Outpost is source of TG's. Rewards from challenges were changed to give you more flexibility in how you rewarded yourself.

Under the old system, you could cash them in immediately for exactly the same reward it had always been, or you could risk storing them to save for something bigger. Unfortunately, most players never understood the risk part and have been complaining ever since that people are stealing from them...another topic.

Under the new system, which was begged for every single day the old system existed, there are less TG's rewarded overall, but still more than any single challenge before. You still have the option to cash them in immediately or save them up at your own risk for better rewards.

If you are getting 310 stars per week, and in a guild with similar people, you will spend about 441 gas and receive 13,400 TG or 26 gold crates. For the same amount of gas you could run 73 exploration missions where you'll receive 10-15 gold crates? Based on this, if you think in terms of gold crates, Challenges are the most efficient source of them. True, you can get approximately 1 gold crate per outpost run, but that may also come at a steeper cost in hospital time or gold spent speeding recovery.
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

TheLostOnesJapes87PR0DJ
  • SpacemanSpiffSpacemanSpiff Member Posts: 634
    I'm sorry, but this sounds kind of like the guy on the sidewalk preaching of doomsday...

I think Challenges will always remain fairly popular/active. Likely mainly because of the "Guild" concept, which promotes camaraderie. Plus, I think most players in general are more likely to spend money/time in games to help their teammates rather than trying defeat opponents. I don't think NG would be foolish enough to try and phase that out or make it unplayable.
    OvidmikelLightfeet
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    edited June 2016
    @eetu @slickrick if a special weapon was offered like LUCILLE at all times everyone would save tg to get them and would promote outposts play because of the reward it would also promote building your outposts defenses . Everyone would want to protect said tg imo challenges will always be popular as y'all stated above and with the cheap gas boost ioffsets the hi gas cost this new challenge is the first time I've went for max stars because with the gas boost I can play the challenges take maybe 15 mins to do all maps and then farm to my heart's content then REAPEAT as long as I can hold out ( my fingers sore lol) Rick did your fingers get sore lol
  • DangerBDangerB Member Posts: 231
    I think they just tried to balance the rewards for what was/is accomplished, vs just a flat 1000 every milestone. Hopefully this can be adjusted up some.

@lmfgunnut has provided the math many times, although its hard to believe it as it seems or feels less, but the math check out.

If they phased out challenges, which I don't think they will, I feel a lot of folks would hang it up.
    [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016
    Title of the thread changed - forgive my English, phased out was not the right term.

I know Challenges will always exist. What I'm concerned about is the continual shifting of TG rewards off of Challenges and on to Outposts. First they lowered Challenge rewards, and now they are (indirectly) increasing outpost rewards. I just feel that it's out of balance. Those of us who do Challenges have to spend a lot of gas before the rewards start to get decent, as SlickRick pointed out - there should be fair compensation for that.
    Member of Mad Canada
    Invader
  • SpacemanSpiffSpacemanSpiff Member Posts: 634
    In my humble opinion, there's a small truth here that's hidden in plain sight; NG wants us to buy the gas (or xp) boosters. Quite frankly, I think it's reasonably priced and I love the gas one. But I kind of wish they had priced it based on 'gold' rather than straight up credit-cards, even if there is an interplay between the two. But no biggie
    theRealBender
  • LadyAquilaLadyAquila Member Posts: 625
    edited June 2016

NG wants us to buy the gas (or xp) boosters...I kind of wish they had priced it based on 'gold' rather than straight up credit-cards, even if there is an interplay between the two.

Next weekend event: double booster pack (gas & 2xXP) available for 500 gold! :)
  • InvaderInvader Member Posts: 2,066
    SlickRick said:

@Bismarck

You can argue that it's been that way for a long time...until I get to level 19-20 and up I can get much better rewards from XP side missions...the inefficiency of the rewards at the lower levels or having to do them over and over to get to the good stuff have been issues for as long as I can remember...whether they do anything to fix them remains to be seen...I'm not holding my breath.

That might fit to the maxed out players...but don`t to a lever 41 player with level 16 survivors...
    @Invader

The rewards at a 3/4/5 level of the challenge are still inefficient for someone at your level relative to an XP side mission
    lmfgunnut said:

Under the new system, which was begged for every single day the old system existed, there are less TG's rewarded overall, but still more than any single challenge before.

Not here...I got a plenty more tg on raiding, then in challenges...

Had several night were I got a thousands of tg from raids until every usuable survivor laid at the hospital...now it´s like I go into one raid...lowest level...and get out injured heavily for 3-400 tg :neutral:
    SlickRick said:

@Invader

The rewards at a 3/4/5 level of the challenge are still inefficient for someone at your level relative to an XP side mission

Yes...but it don´t get better until I reach my maximum...the rewards are just crap for low level players!

I know, that you´re filing me under "always complainer"...but that´s the way it looks like to me :wink:

NG might take advantage of their "first to play players"...but out of sight...the changes are overall not from any benefit for the lower level players...
  • LightfeetLightfeet Member Posts: 1,062
    @Bismarck As already stated by @theRealBender the doubled cycle reward is only valid for the current cycle and will get back to the normal reward level after the end of this cycle again.

I guess that NG gave us the outpost weekend event as well as the doubled cycle reward after release of patch 1.9 due to the reason that they have to make the outpost more popular again. So many players (me included) stopped playing outpost due to the large number of glitches (e.g. lost raids due to permanent disconnections, malfunction of the shield, etc. etc.) completely. I don't believe that it was intended to tempt all players away from playing challenges. (This wouldn't make sense in the light of giving us a new challenge map anyway.)

Agree with all of you that the challenge reward system should be reworked. (Especially for high lvl players.)
    @Invader

I didn't say anything about that...complain all you want...if you think I like the rewards or even the lower level challenges trust me I don't...there are inefficiencies in the rewards whether you're low, middle, or maxed player...that's all I was saying

There are a million things I would fix about this game...but I just choose not to get riled up about something that I have 100% control over whether I play or not...my issues are not with people that don't like problems with the game because we all do...I'm not going to get into it again but you know what I have issues with
    Invader
    SlickRick said:

@Invader

I didn't say anything about that...complain all you want...if you think I like the rewards or even the lower level challenges trust me I don't...there are inefficiencies in the rewards whether you're low, middle, or maxed player...that's all I was saying

I´ll guess we have kind of a language barrier sometimes :wink:

My english is not that bad for a german...since I was married to an aussie wife...but I won´t get all the glitches :smiley:
    Invader said:

SlickRick said:

@Bismarck

That might fit to the maxed out players...but don`t to a lever 41 player with level 16 survivors...
    Nearly the same applies for a lvl41 player with lvl16 survivors as well, but with one small difference. Your break even is 2-4 rounds earlier (i.e. at the tier with lvl17-18 opponents).
    SlickRick
    Lightfeet said:

Nearly the same applies for a lvl41 player with lvl16 survivors as well, but with one small difference. Your break even is 2-4 rounds earlier (i.e. at the tier with lvl17-18 opponents).

I´ll guess I would understand you, if you pm me...since your guild-name is Dosenbier and I´m from Hamburg :smiley:
    @Invader The correct spelling is Dosnbier and not Dos(e)nbier! :p
    Invader
    Must be in the south :smiley: