Noob needs a reminder

I feel like I've been a noob forever in this game. Mostly because at the beginning someone told me to not buy anything until L18 if I remember correctly. I just feel like I'm making little to no progress. What I've been doing is trying to go as far as I can in the storyline but also upgrading my camp. Particularly food and XP. I also find myself spending a lot of time just doing food and XP side quests. Is this right? Thanks for any tips. They always help!

Comments

• SpacemanSpiffSpacemanSpiff Member Posts: 634
    You're only a noob for posting this in the "Guild" section. Kidding.

I think the advice given to you by others in past was premised upon the fact that your weapon/armor purchases would cap/base on survivor lvl, i.e. So you don't outgrow it later. But it's your money; spend or don't spend as you deem fit. You do raids?...join guild?....can try to use TG to get some nice gear (free). All said & done, it's not a race. You basically only racing against yourself. If the scenic-route is preferred, that's cool. Best of luck.
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    The former deadly farming missions (not sure what to call them now), always provided me the best combination of XP, supplies and gear. If you need all three these might be your best bet. Good luck and take your time and try to enjoy the journey.
  • SlickRickSlickRick Posts: 2,731
    @Nemesi

Without knowing any specifics (like your player level and levels of your buildings) I would recommend to keep doing supply and XP side missions...those will get you the best chance of guaranteed quantities of supplies and XP...they are tedious but really will help the most.

Leveling your camp should be your biggest priority...the higher your player level the better your chances of better survivors, gear, rewards, etc.
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
  • NemesiNemesi Member Posts: 17
    By the way I am almost finished with episode 7 and my crew ranges from level 10-12. I'll be honest. I'm finding the end of episode 7 challenging. I've die once already. What bugs me is that I've read people are doing episodes2-3 levels HIGHER than their actual where I'm 2-3 levels below the recommended lol.
    @Nemesi

They are talking about the challenge levels not the episode levels fyi...the max episode is 13 and the max survivor currently is 18...so nothing wrong with where you're at
    You better check yo self before you wreck yo self...cuz I'm bad for your health, I come real stealth
    @Nemesi

Also do you have the ability to buy any of the bundles with full supplies? If you do that can help expedite things a bit...yeah they cost money so that part sucks but if you time it right after upgrading your supplies storage you can make pretty big jumps from each one...I helped my brother and others shoot up their player levels real fast by doing the supplies bundles and timing them right
    AzBewbsMizTy
  • theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    Yes equipment is expensive to level - but that's because they do the most to help you win missions. But then you also have to judge how effective your surivors and weapons are to help decide what and how far to level. Why? Because right now weapons become obsolete very quickly when you are below level 46.
    Back from 2016 :p
    SlickRick
  • SmittYSmittY Member Posts: 372
    @Nemesi The way I keep it fun is changing my focus. You got raids, or you can work through story missions, side mission or whatever you change your focus to that week thats the most fun. Always start by maxing Council as you go, then Training grounds and then Workshop. Those three matter most for advancing your levels. On e good strategy too is to persistently have at least one thing upgrading at all times. The opposit plan is to focus like a laser beam on one item or survivor no matter how expensive until you max it out. This weekend if it is in fact The Horde you will have a chance to load up, a GREAT time to attack a desired item until its maxed.

Thank you for the feedback! Question. Some time ago, a player made the argument that upgrading of weapons should be kept to a minimum because they are changed out so often. Do you agree?

Again, thanks everyone for the advice. It's a big help.
    A few more pieces of advice @Nemesi. Don't waste any of your hard earned XP on a scout or bruiser. Both the most helpful class of survivors when you are a Noob, but completely worthless at the higher levels. Spend your XP on hunters and shooters. Warriors and Assualts fall in the middle. Concentrate on the traits a piece of gear has more so than the level. An epic pistol with great traits is far more valuable than a legendary pistol with lousy traits. Good luck.
  • KelvSGKelvSG Member Posts: 277
    null

I must be insane by clearing episode 11 with just my lvl12 team lol. (But it leave my whole team with critical injury).

Now has to keep farming for xp and supply to lvl up :(
    SlickRick: Your post about if I have the option to buy supplies......Yes I do but I don't see any options for buying food, etc. what supplies are you referring to and where do I get them?
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    @Nemesi many of the bundles you are offered for purchase include "full supplies". Buying one of these bundles will completely fill your supply storage and allow you to quickly upgrade several of your camp buildings. The trick is to upgrade your supply storage as much as you can before buying them. As an example I purchased a couple when I first started playing the game and received many many thousands of supplies. Later in the game I purchased the last one available to me and received 8 million supplies.
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

SlickRick
  • tammytammy Member Posts: 1,716
    @Nemesi I think the key to your progress now is to pick out all your best girl survivors and name them after me....like..."TammyTheGreat" and "MagnificentTammy"...."temptressTammy"...

There's a few for you to start off with...feel free to get creative :)

Xoxo
    LEADER OF RETRIBUTION GUILD
    Click here to join RETRIBUTION guild
    NehivatheRealBenderMizTyLadyAquila
    @Nemesi

Yeah exactly what @lmfgunnut said...he is spot on...you should get several bundles with full supplies...I think it's around 6 or so total...the later in the game you can buy them the better value for your money...and fyi food or supplies or cans are the same thing...some people refer to them differently...I just call them supplies to make it easier

And you can keep bruisers and scouts if you want to...if you have at least 3 of each class even down the road you get more quest options like All-Scout or All-Bruiser...plus if they make changes to make scouts and bruisers more powerful at some point better to have them than not especially if they're not hurting anything
    Walkerman
  • SmittYSmittY Member Posts: 372
    @tammy clearly diabolical. You fiend....

• tammytammy Member Posts: 1,716
    @SmittY just trying to be helpful :)

Xoxo
    LEADER OF RETRIBUTION GUILD
    Click here to join RETRIBUTION guild
    SmittY
  • PimpOfTheDeadPimpOfTheDead Member Posts: 654
    @nemesis if u can & never have bought bundles, then yes do so but it smart & sparingly, once u believe u upgraded your supply storage enough or as much as u could, start with the cheap scout bundle. This bundle offers full supplies & gas , so make sure u zeroed your supplies & gas on a build just before buying.
    After u bought that 1 there is a slightly more expensive bundle for a bruiser but also offers full supplies, so as u continue to build your camp, always try to use as many of those extra supplies as u can on more storage to maximize the value of the bundle, as there is 1 of those supply bundles for each of the 6 character classes, that u can only purchase once, is why I said do it smart & sparingly.
    As far as the minimum amount of survivor slots u should have & try to keep on hand is 18, so u have at least 3 of each type in order to unlock each of the possible quests daily which can be used for bonus stars in the challenges.
    As far as your question about weapons & armor upgrading, by using your trade goods & buying 500 gold crates, u should possibly have a good chance of getting decent legendary gear, if not from mission crates or 7500 legendary crates. With that said u should always try to keep your top 3 used survivors (whichever types they may be?), with the best possible upgraded gear u can, concentrating your efforts always on training those 3 & having them decked out with best possible gear u can at all times. Once your top 3 are set & u start to have a bit of expendable XP, then slowely start expanding your team with training & gear but as updates & new gear u like arises, then backtrack to your top 3 whenever needed for improvement.
    If & when possible, after your top 3 once again set, I recommend trying to max out at least 1 of every survivor type for now, just so your team is a bit more well rounded & flexible for challenges/quests or events. By that time u will get a feel for survivor combos u like best & then start to concentrate on having 2 or 3 of each type maxed as it's an ongoing cycle lol. Now that gear scrapping is a bit more worth the XP always have your best guys with latest gear, as if a lot of your survivors may just be benchwarmers for most of game, it's no biggie if those just have stock gear for now.
    When farming XP on exploration missions I prefer 3 maxed out hunters as u set them up at all the spawn points, & keep hitting end turn as u shoot wave after wave of walkers, then as u can't shoot no more before taking damage run to exit & repeat as it's an ongoing cycle lol.
    Eventually u should build an unstoppable team in time :)
    Hope any of that helped? As it sure made my fingers bleed a lil typing it lol. Any questions just ask
    SlowMo
  • GonkistanGonkistan Member Posts: 166
    Nemesi said:

Thank you for the feedback! Question. Some time ago, a player made the argument that upgrading of weapons should be kept to a minimum because they are changed out so often. Do you agree?

Again, thanks everyone for the advice. It's a big help.

I like to have my survivors at similar levels.
    AS such I like to have 1 weapon per class that's got the "magic" attribute powered up (range for pistol, stun duration for bruiser, arc for assault/warrior, quick strike for scout).

I only pick the weapons that have their base defence/attack (as appropriate) at least 3 levels above "normal" to power up. So even if they are powered up 3 levels, they are still very effective, and on top of that protection/damage they have the power-up attributes as well.

But yeah, I spend a lot more XP on my survivors than my equipment.

It's not so bad now you get some xp back for upgraded weapons when you trash them.

Hope that helps.
    Hoping maybe I can aks other questions here as well. I'm wondering the best team makeup. Someone wrote about not using bruisers or scouts which is news to me. Anyway, I've been running mostly a shooter, hunter and a scout and m scout is the only legendary I have.

Next question is in regards to that scout. What does brain stab do that a normal attack won't do? I guess because she is legendary, she normally kills anything she attacks. The only disappointment is that she can't attack more than one at a time like the other classes.
    @Nemesi

There is no "perfect" team...it's based on what you prefer and the makeup of your survivors and what gear/weapons you have for your survivors.

I usually run 2 hunters and a shooter...or 2 hunters and a warrior...sometimes 3 hunters...sometimes 2 hunters and an assault...really also varies somewhat on what kind of mission you're doing...bruisers also come in handy at times.

The brain stab is just a more powerful attack from the scout that works best on tanks and armored walkers
    @nemesis the real downside to scouts and bruisers (and to a lesser degree, warriors), is you have to get right beside your opponent to attack. If your attack fails, you are left exposed up close and personal. If a hunter or shooter gets the dreaded "body shot" at least you are usually a safe distance away.
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    @NCDawgFan @Ovidmikel

You guys know you're tagging the wrong person right?
    OvidmikeltheRealBendertammy
    @SlickRick do now lol I gotta start wearing my reading glasses I read some of my posts and see all the mistakes and think dang it looked ok last night lol
    SlickRicktammy
    @Ovidmikel

It's all good...just making sure you guys knew...and better if the OP doesn't think he needs to go get rid of his scouts and bruisers anyways...especially with more changes on the way for both classes
    Ovidmikeltammy
    @SlickRick I actually was glad to get a good scout and scout weapon with interupt and have them lvl up on hi lvl a scout works as good as a warrior for Interupting
    SlickRick
    @Ovidmikel

I use scouts and bruisers more than most...plus having 3 of each gives you more chances at better quest options...why narrow your options for no reason
    Ovidmikel
  • GonkistanGonkistan Member Posts: 166
    SlickRick said:

@Ovidmikel

I use scouts and bruisers more than most...plus having 3 of each gives you more chances at better quest options...why narrow your options for no reason

You get the same number of quests.

I reckon if you only had 9x assaults, all your quests would be "use all assaults"
    @Gonkistan

I didn't say you get more quests...I said you get better choices
    TheLostOnesOvidmikel