Need advice on a rifle upgrade

Here are the 5 I pulled from this weekend. My hunter is sorely in need of a level 20-21 weapon (current rifle is only a maxed out 18) but I'm not sure which route to go and could use some feedback:

Comments

• BurningBrightBurningBright Member Posts: 32
    Feel free to offer some input on whether one is more suited to outpost defense or just doing simple walker/Savior missions.

Thanks again!
  • SpacemanSpiffSpacemanSpiff Member Posts: 634
    Overall, I think best one is the .338 Buzzard. The larger caliber/width is a significant thing. Silver is 0.4 increase. (Gold would be 0.6 increase, basically able to take down 2-3 rows of walkers). And your Buzzard has gold Luck trait.

That's my vote.

Outpost is a slightly different dynamic. The width or hitting multiple targets is less significant when defending/raiding other survivors, and with cover. For that, I'd pick interrupt/crit/+dmg, weapon. Purely for outpost, I think the old 7mm one.
    Borutorudjawol
  • Fester17Fester17 Member Posts: 680
    The last one. Silver wide bore and gold luck.
    Elder and recruiter for FearTheDead

Thanks for the input, Calvin. ;)

The one with the gold luck was my first pick, but I wondered if the fact that it could only go up to level 20 would allow it to be overshadowed by one of the 21's.

I'm sure there's lots of threads on here on better traits vs. +1 higher level (i.e. 17 vs. 18) but I'm too lazy to go digging for them. Is there a group consensus on which way you should proceed if the traits on a level 17 rifle are better than one for an 18? Obviously more damage output is always a good thing, just not sure if it matters though if the lower level rifle has the better traits.
  • jacobwiedhatjacobwiedhat Member Posts: 37
    I would wait until you find something better, legendary with interrupt, Luck and caliber traits. :D I have some, so it's possible.
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    Well I do agree with what @SpacemanSpiff said above , I personally would go for the old 7mm (number 2) as he said for regular playing the increased bore is huge , add to that the 10 % critical (which is 25% with gold luck on survivor) and the 15 % overall damage death skull , it's a pretty powerful gun. If number 5 (the second . 338 Buzzard) was level 18 , I would suggest that . But a base level 17 gun won't take you very far before it's obsolete.

Good luck!
    Pre xp/gas boost days, I would be inclined to agree with you, Jacob. But now you can get flush with XP pretty quickly, so upgrading these sub-par rifles isn't a big deal for me until I can find Mrs. Right. The 7500 legendary crates have been awful for me. The only weapons I seem to pull from there are swords and the only armor I get are scout vests and bruiser armor with the cursed gold wrestling masks. Mission crates have been worse. Tons of rare and epic (s)crap, not much else.

Guess all I can do is keep at it and hope my luck changes.
    Japes87
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    The 25% return on upgraded gear helps a ton too , you don't have to be near as picky with what you upgrade (especially the 50% scrap value with the xp boost if that still works )
  • BorutoBoruto Member Posts: 1,118

Overall, I think best one is the .338 Buzzard. The larger caliber/width is a significant thing. Silver is 0.4 increase. (Gold would be 0.6 increase, basically able to take down 2-3 rows of walkers). And your Buzzard has gold Luck trait.

That's my vote.

Outpost is a slightly different dynamic. The width or hitting multiple targets is less significant when defending/raiding other survivors, and with cover. For that, I'd pick interrupt/crit/+dmg, weapon. Purely for outpost, I think the old 7mm one.

I also agree with @SpacemanSpiff. I'll go with the last .338 Buzzard.

• gabriel_lwhgabriel_lwh Member Posts: 454
    Perhaps you should hold on to your XP for a little longer.

When you pull a legendary one, it'll then be more worth it to upgrade it.

IGN: Gabriel
    Member of CONQUER / THE UNINFECTED / ALEXANDRIANS