Of deadly missions and ageless survivors

Through all this discussion and whining ( let's be honest ) on game balance ( luck nerf) , token economy and screwed radio drop rates, I have come to realise what I miss the most from the game I used to love so much. My survivors had an expiry date on them. They had a maximum level and as I was investing time and money in them, I knew there would come a day where I'd have to replace them. Either I would out-level them or even better send them in a deadly mission that turned bad.

Don't get me wrong, at first I applauded at the idea of having no level cap on survivors. I have well over a dozen legendary survivors all at level 19. But what this change did , added to the removal of deadly missions, is in fact stop the normal cycle of developping a survivor, training him, bringin him to his peak and then letting him go. I have but two names in my memorial tent but I remember losing these survivors as if it was yesterday and asking myself if I'd keep on playing without both these epic level 13s....

You would have never caught me doing anyhting else while on a deadly mission. Don't talk to me, don't look at me. This is important. I might loose something I worked hard on and am attached to.

I am wondering if there are any plans on bringing back deadly missions ? I know I could scrap my current game or survivors and start anew. Heck I thought of it more than once just to have a fresh face on the roaster. But in the end, I really liked in when the zombies could win once in a while. Succeeding then meant more than it does now.
[Deleted User]blynknzLadyAquilai812many[Deleted User]SgtSalamiantKaiserT_12szgerg778900rpmricktadaiozzegGindyboosh

Comments

• Fester17Fester17 Member Posts: 680
    I love having no cap on the survivor level. I also loved the deadly missions. Would love for them to bring deadly missions and keep the no-cap thing going, especially if the gear drops improve over what they are now.
    Elder and recruiter for FearTheDead

DegreaserInspTurbinesMrsScattercushionMizTy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,344
    edited August 2016
    I'm thinking lawyers may get thrown into the mix if they bring back the deadlies and someone loses a construction cone orange 18 star survivor (I'm just guessing that's the color that's going to come after pink/purple).
    InspTurbinesMizTyR2runfastiozzeg
  • FelioFelio Member Posts: 102
    Nothing makes someone want to quit like losing something valuable permanently. It doesn't matter if it's their own fault. Deadly missions would cost them some number of players and probably not gain them any.
    goonman76
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    edited August 2016
    I thought the deadlies were taken away because of connection problems. If the dreaded "Reconnecting" message appeared during a deadly, the odds were good that your survivors would be dead by the time you reconnected. I thought they removed the deadlies because they couldn't fix the reconnecting problem.
    InspTurbinesGreenBalloonT_12
  • @Felio said:

Nothing makes someone want to quit like losing something valuable permanently. It doesn't matter if it's their own fault. Deadly missions would cost them some number of players and probably not gain them any.

There are other things that can make people want to quit even more but I understand what you are stating.

• IpshaiIpshai Member Posts: 38
    Why not introduce somekind of comatose state ? Not as permanent as death ( that's what I d prefer ) but maybe a week-long layoff. Would make you think twice about entering such a mission. Would justify higher reward/higher risk . Disconnecting would also be less painful this way. You d be pissed but it wouldn t be permanent and it would be an integral part of the risk involved with accepting these missions. Just saying ( writing...).
    InspTurbines[Deleted User]T_12
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,344
    edited August 2016
    @Ipshai

Where would the comatose survivors be kept? The hospital? If so then what would happen if a survivor gets injured while your hospital is full of coma victims?
    T_12
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    Dale said:

I thought the deadlies were taken away because of connection problems. If the dreaded "Reconnecting" message appeared during a deadly, the odds were good that your survivors would be dead by the time you reconnected. I thought they removed the deadlies because they couldn't fix the reconnecting problem.

Yeah, the deadlies were removed quite a while before heroes. But they may have been forward planning.
    DLich said:

I think that as long as Heroes remain in the game that Deadly Missions will never come back. I think that deadly missions going away was directly attributed to heros. Can't have a hero dying so therefore nobody dies.

I think they should just make it if a hero dies, you have to unlock them again.
    InspTurbinesIRONDeeMizTyT_12
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,541
    edited August 2016
    @MadPuppy as much as I agree with what you're saying I very highly doubt NG will remove whatever hero is bashed over the head by Negan.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    KaiserT_12
  • lmfgunnutlmfgunnut Member Posts: 1,636
    Deadly missions being taken away had nothing to do with connection issues. People who lost survivors to deadly missions because of connection issues actually lost their survivors because they were going to lose anyway. When you resume a mission after a disconnect, the mission picks up where it left off...as in if it was your turn, it is still your turn. However, if you disconnect after completing your turn, the walker turn is played out without you seeing what they did. In several instances, this resulted in the death of a survivor (or at least the struggle of a survivor) because that is what would have happened, but people who were unaware that the walker turn had simply been fastforwarded...and unable to believe that they had lost...believed their death to be the result of a "glitch" or disconnection.

I think that @dlich is correct in that there was some forward thinking with regard to heroes, but it was also large part in response to the never ending onslaught of dead survivors that were lost due to "game issues". I don't mean to say that game issues never caused a death, but the majority of complaints were from those who didn't understand what had happened versus actually being plagued by some bug.
    DeadFamily Guild Elder, a Top 20 Global Guild

The Undying Suvivalist--Founding Member and Prezident of the Empty Memorial Club

2725 Deadly Missions Completed Prior to the End of The Deadly Era

Nightmare Club Member--All 14 Episodes of Story Complete on Nightmare Mode (lvl 19 survivors)

MadPuppyInspTurbines[Deleted User]TheLostOnesT_12
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    Deadly mission were a big problem because if you had a wi-fi interruption, you would lose one of your team

I lost a nice assault as my device decided it wanted to hook up to a different wifi connection

I like being able to upgrade my srvrs
    Now it looks as though upgrading weapons will be a no go and that is no good in my book
  • hiplnsdrftrhiplnsdrftr Member Posts: 198
    exploiting the loophole loophole
  • Deadly missions being taken away had nothing to do with connection issues. People who lost survivors to deadly missions because of connection issues actually lost their survivors because they were going to lose anyway. When you resume a mission after a disconnect, the mission picks up where it left off...as in if it was your turn, it is still your turn. However, if you disconnect after completing your turn, the walker turn is played out without you seeing what they did. In several instances, this resulted in the death of a survivor (or at least the struggle of a survivor) because that is what would have happened, but people who were unaware that the walker turn had simply been fastforwarded...and unable to believe that they had lost...believed their death to be the result of a "glitch" or disconnection.

I think that @dlich is correct in that there was some forward thinking with regard to heroes, but it was also large part in response to the never ending onslaught of dead survivors that were lost due to "game issues". I don't mean to say that game issues never caused a death, but the majority of complaints were from those who didn't understand what had happened versus actually being plagued by some bug.

I disagree I have played both deadly and non-deadly missions in the pass where before the disconnect one or more of my survivors had close to full health and after reconnect huge chunks of their health had suddenly disappeared. Which could cost someone the mission and/or survivors that they would not have lost if the disconnect had not occurred. Just because it didn't happen to you doesn't mean others are lying or misinformed.

T_12Fester17
  • theRealBendertheRealBender Member Posts: 1,251
    The way staff put it, they made it seem like many players complained even though they knew full well that they could permanently lose their survivors. (These are people not used to games having such mechanics obviously.)

At any rate there were enough of these d**b*ss crybabies that they just got rid of the deadly missions - a business decision in the end.
    Back from 2016 :p
    InspTurbinesi812many
  • InspTurbinesInspTurbines Member Posts: 706
    @Raikkon, yep bring them back. When I played them, it was like the real world didn't exist! I felt like I was right there with my guys!

Now, I did losee a team and boy did it suck dick...but it was on me nobody elses fault. I get why NG got rid of them; they got tired of dealing with all the cry babies
    who couldn't or wouldn't accept their responsibility in losing their surviors.
    [Deleted User]iozzeg
  • hiplnsdrftrhiplnsdrftr Member Posts: 198
    Losing survivors in the game reflected the constant loss of characters on the show, it made this game very unique. Staring at your favorite fully upgraded survivor and hesitantly pushing the button to retire them was full of dread and remorse.
    exploiting the loophole loophole
  • T_12T_12 Member Posts: 728
    #BRINGBACKDEADLIES No cap on survivor lvl should stay though!
    The only way to survive a mad world is to embrace the madness.
    blynknzAnarchi
  • DeanTWDDeanTWD Member Posts: 187
    Here's a poo idea... What if you retired them to the memorial, where it kept their stats like before but the game just generated a random reason for their' retirement'.

E.G. 'Exiled' 'Missing' 'Killed' 'Left camp'

I do miss killing off survivors I didn't want anymore :lol:
    T_12
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Won't work so well @szgerg77 unless deadliest are mandatory and who wants that? Cowards will have a stable of 10 pink stars and I'll be running around with uncommons, lol.
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    Put 1 deadly in the challenge. That will at least make them mandatory within the challenge.

OR, but a "death counter" on every survivor. If they die in any mission/challenge/outpost x number of times then they die.
  • SpringChickenSpringChicken Member Posts: 145
    Just allow heroes that die to be replaced after collecting enough tokens to unlock them again. Boom.

#bringdeadliesback
    #onedeadlyperchallengeplz