Would it be useful to have a single consolidated thread for official NG statements?

Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,389
A question for @Teeceezy, @Shteevie and the community in general.

Often times there are important nuggets posted by various NG staff that get lost as a post falls off the first page or two of the 'recent discussions' list. On an almost daily basis there are questions posed that have been answered (either recently or some time ago). Would it be helpful to create and maintain a post where all of these official statements would be kept or would people still fail to read and reference this post?

My intent would be to have a single consolidated place that players can refer to for official answers to issues, updates, traits, etc. I would do my best to keep it current (but I don't have hours a day to devote to this) so I would welcome private messages that point out posts that I may have missed so I can update the thread accordingly. Also, if this is deemed to be a good idea, if someone with more time wants to take this and run with it, by all means, be my guest.

One last question... if this is seen as something that would be helpful, @Teeceezy @Shteevie could this thread be stickied so it doesn't get lost? Looking forward to hearing peoples' thoughts on this. Well, probably looking forward to it.. after all I am soliciting opinions on the internet which is inherently fraught with peril.

Would it be useful to have a single consolidated thread for official NG statements? 57 votes

Yes, this sounds like a great idea.
94%
TransmuteJunkryptonixAmigazoson[Deleted User]PutchucoButtLightMorgantembelGeneral_PainDrBOBDeadBeat[Deleted User]MarkMizTyrgerkmanJerryDixonAvalon8Zeenaggbats 54 votes
No, this sounds like a waste of time.
5%
blynknzPapacasJackBauer 3 votes
Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

TeeceezyGrimGaelDLichrgerkmanTheLostOnesDeadBeatConan1976General_PainBrookiebaby1984Mark

Comments

• DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    Why is there even more than one option here. Absolutely of course we should have this!!

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    100% I love that idea @Bill_ZRT .... maybe there could be more than one person in charge of updating the thread Bill. Have two or three people helping you.

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
    -Mark Twain

Need a guild or want to chat? Send me a private message @WeekOne or contact me via email: [email protected]

ggbats
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,007
    Bill, if you're willing to volunteer your time to do this, it would be much appreciated. I am the unofficial 'forum liaison' for my guild, and I have to report the important news to them. I often miss some of these statements, so it would be nice to have everything in one place, to check out the new things.
    ggbats
  • MizTyMizTy Member Posts: 1,335
    Great idea. And I'd be willing to help keep it updated.
    ggbats
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,389
    @TransmuteJun and @MizTy I would enthusiastically accept any help you could provide.

My initial thought is that the first post of the thread would be maintained so there would be a single place to look for this information. Pointing out things I may not have seen yet could be done by replying to the thread (then I would add it to the main page) or sending me a PM. I think if we only use replies to add information instead of updating the main post, then we lose the convenient 'one stop shop' that updating the initial post allows.

@DLich there are multiple options so I could hedge my bets and not just automatically volunteer for a job that I'm somewhat reluctant to take on. ;-) With that said, if there's strong support, I'll do it.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.

DLichggbats
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    @Bill_ZRT oh I misunderstood, this is something a forum member would upkeep? I thought it was a poll for is it a good idea to have all information in one place, I was thinking a moderator or admin or something would keep track of it.

I honestly thought you were asking people if they thought a centralized area with information would be a good idea. Of course it would be, but I didn't expect a player to be the one to compile it.

I wish there was a way to search @mod or something whenever i want to see what one of the mods or admins said on a certain topic. Sometimes things get brought up and I don't remember if @OldGoth or @Teeceezy or @Shteevie or @zbot or @MadPuppy or @Shadowkeeper was the one that said it.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    MizTyrgerkmansligoem
    @DLich I would be thrilled if a forum mod or admin would keep track of this, but I'm not sure that option is on the table. @Teeceezy, can you confirm? Assuming that's the case, yeah, I'm stupid enough to volunteer to at least give this a try and see how it goes (is it manageable). As I'm discovering, so far the biggest hurdle will be creating the initial doc/post.

My goal would be to provide the actual quote from the NG staff who gave the response so people will know who said what and can search for the original post if they'd like. I would also like to keep the info fact based.. .example: Trait X works like this. as opposed to things that are speculation. For example in 2.3 we're thinking about doing x.

• zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,454
    @Bill_ZRT , I'll confirm that what you are suggesting would be equivalent to a full time job so thank you for volunteering.
    MizTyrgerkman[Deleted User]DeadBeat
    edited September 2016
    Bill_ZRT said:

@TransmuteJun and @MizTy I would enthusiastically accept any help you could provide.

Bill, I can't guarantee how much time I'll have available (it varies from day to day and week to week) but I'll willing to assist, if I can.
    I assume the mods work with @Teeceezy? Wouldn't this work the same way? And a couple of us would have access to cut, copy, paste, post stuff Staff writes in other threads? I'd be happy to help with a project like that. I think it would help the whole community, including NG.
    TheLostOnessligoemggbats
  • TheLostOnesTheLostOnes Member Posts: 3,030
    Thanks for this great suggestion!

@Shteevie posts perhaps 10-15 times a day while @Teeceezy does perhaps 8-12 and @OldGoth 0-2. Easiest way to compile would be to go to those three profile pages once a day and click on "comments" and then copy/past the relevant posts (probably a third of them or so).
    I'm lost.

Check out the DMZ guild. We're recruiting. Here.
    MizTyggbats
  • wrinkled_bagwrinkled_bag Member Posts: 699

Bill, if you're willing to volunteer your time to do this, it would be much appreciated. I am the unofficial 'forum liaison' for my guild, and I have to report the important news to them. I often miss some of these statements, so it would be nice to have everything in one place, to check out the new things.

Are your guild members to lazy to read the forum ?
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,829
    Absolutely.
    1. The posts could be quotes together with a link to the source.
    2. The posts should have a predetermined format.
    3. The thread should not contain discussion, or any other kind of dialogue.
    4. A first post with an index is likely a dayjob that noone in their right mind could maintain, but if at all possible it would simply list topics as a clickable link to the relative post in that same thread. It could be tried. If the posts are all ready, and simply placed by anyone, then the person(s) maintaining the first post would only need to copy past the topic with a link.
    SgtSalami
  • Yes, this sounds like a great idea.
    @zbot is that sarcasm?

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
    -Mark Twain

Need a guild or want to chat? Send me a private message @WeekOne or contact me via email: [email protected]

mongo911
    @WeekOne , no sarcasm but experience from trying to do something similar before. It's similar to the wiki, it's a community/user based initiative, I'll help in every way I can but time and logistics it will be a workload. To me it's not just a matter of just posting links but whoever is handling this needs to read/understand the question being asked, answer given, is there a follow up to this, how does this change with the update(s). It's a giant living FAQ but trying to organize it as 1 thread.
    MadPuppy
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    edited September 2016
    No, I just think ALL announcements should be pinned to the top till the user dismisses it or until a set time after (like when a weekend event finishes, then that thread can be unpinned.

Although now that I have read the comments. Maybe I misunderstood what the idea was (or the way others have taken it).
    Maybe an idea would include another flag on the comment (llike the like, agree, lol etc) which could be, "This is important information that should flagged in a prioritised post"

@DLich, yeah I moderator search would be great.
    edited September 2016
    @zbot I agree that there are some not insignificant challenges with doing this. Along the lines of some of your observations if the fact that since I want to leave the quotes 100% in their original form, I might have to provide context or clarification in some cases which is time consuming. For example see the heading 'Building Upgrades' in my sample, below. One clarification... I don't want this to be, nor do I have the time for this to be an actual full game FAQ that spells out every aspect of the game (how does every trait function, what is the token progression for improving survivors, etc). It's just a place to store all the official comments, clarifications, etc that happen and get lost on a daily basis. That's ambitious enough for me.

@MadPuppy - I agree with #2 and #3 of your points. I mostly agree with #4 as well. As for #1, I suppose it would be best to post the link as well, but that's more time and effort so I'm on the fence about it. If I always include the exact original quote (which is my plan) it should be easy enough to search for the original post if someone wants to.
    blynknz said:

No, I just think ALL announcements should be pinned to the top till the user dismisses it or until a set time after (like when a weekend event finishes, then that thread can be unpinned.

Although now that I have read the comments. Maybe I misunderstood what the idea was (or the way others have taken it).
    Maybe an idea would include another flag on the comment (llike the like, agree, lol etc) which could be, "This is important information that should flagged in a prioritised post"

@DLich, yeah I moderator search would be great.

Just to clarify, I don't think I would need to include official announcements as they're already pinned and very visible. My thought is more for those comments/threads that aren't announcements. If it would be helpful to post relevant announcement info, I can look in to doing that. Below is a sample/example of what I'm thinking:

Current Release (2.1) Comments/Statements

Will there be another ‘Increased chance of Epic/Legendary Survivor’ (ICEELS) event?
    Shteevie said:The only reason we son't say 'never' is because we don't want to lie. In the rough planning for the next 6 months that we have done so far, we have come up with lots of things that are more interesting and more stimulating to the game economy than the ICELS event. It is my intention that we never do the event again, specifically because of this hoarding issue. If it does happen again, it will be more than half a year away and the decision will be made over my head. We even considered it as a one-day birthday event and I shot the idea down because I don't like eating hats. I would sell Michonne for a dollar before I suggested this event.

Spend your radios if you see a good deal.

When will we see another Trade Goods for Supplies event?
    Shteevie said:The Supplies for TG exchange is only going to come back in those times between updates that give you something to do with supplies. It's not going to be either permanent, or weekly. Maybe every few months. We have mid-to-long term plans to give you something else to do with supplies at top levels, so those will get more priority as more players make it to max level.

Also...

Shteevie said:-The supplies -> TG will be something we use when the gaps between council upgrades are very long. We have one coming in not too long now, so it's not as necessary. If we need it again, I'm sure you will see it.

Limiting Repeatable Challenges
    Shteevie said:We'll see more of the old challenges back after we have the chance to do the rework that is planned for the time just after 2.2. Until then, the repeatable challenges make those mission sets frustrating for some players who feel pressure to play them hundreds of times. I don't select the challenge sets, but I do know we look at the recent calendar to try not to make too many repeats

2.2 Statements/Comments

Wasted Gas
    Shteevie said:You should never see a wasted gas reward after 2.2, so we have you covered there.

Building Upgrades
    Shteevie said:Correct that the next council level won't include a TG or workshop upgrade.
    **In this context TG = Training Grounds (not Trade Goods)

Stunned defenders in raid missions able to dodge ranged and melee attacks
    Shteevie said:Yes, this change is coming in 2.2.

[Deleted User]ggbatsTeeceezyMark
    I see! I thought it was a good idea but didn't realize how much work was involved. I'm glad you clarified that.

Thanks for your input @zbot

-Mark Twain

• FelioFelio Member Posts: 102
    Or just have a dev tracker like every good forum
    Very smart @Bill_ZRT <3

-Mark Twain

• DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,048
    If possible, when adding the quote, could you also provide a link to the specific post in which the quote is lifted?

Not that I think any one would intentionally misquote, but there could be other, useful information contained in the post and it would allow forum goers to investigate more on their own.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    Along a similar line, I've been thinking of starting a master suggestion thread to track most of the suggestions made here.
  • FunGamingTrashFunGamingTrash Member Posts: 174
    Just don't remove it completely. Like when I press discussions, at the top should be a link to the announcements thread and have "New" thing when ever there is something new.
    blynknz said:

Along a similar line, I've been thinking of starting a master suggestion thread to track most of the suggestions made here.

Ha! You realize that (currently, at least) you're the only one who voted that this would be a waste of time, right? That's what I call irony!

Are your guild members to lazy to read the forum ?
    LOL, everyone has their own time issues. And I'd rather have them playing the game than reading the forum, if their time is limited. ;)
    FunGamingTrashBill_ZRT
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2016
    It would be enough if this forum would just have a better search function where you can search comments by username.

-----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    edited September 2016
    JackBauer said:

It would be enough if this forum would just have a better search function where you can search comments by username.

@JackBauer , you can...

MadPuppyMizTyantMark
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    edited September 2016
    Oh, how fun, i never saw that. I just took the "search" line above of the thread and thought that's it. :D

I don't need then a consolidated thread.
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    A lot of NG info is just given in snippets somewhere in a thread someplace in the forum. So unless players are avid forum readers the info gets lost. Maybe a news-type format with a link to that info?
    MadPuppy