Accelerometer usage

SaianSaian Member Posts: 6
I've noticed that the game uses the accelerometer (on android at least), but I can't figure out where it is useful in game.
hottexas

Comments

• Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    One obvious use would be to keep the screen aligned correct during play. I can't tell if you knew that and wanted some more complicated uses or if that just slipped your mind.
    zoson
  • SaianSaian Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2016
    > obvious use would be to keep the screen aligned correct during play

It's not obvious nor a correct guess. There are a lot of apps which rotates the screen, but no one uses the sensor. That, obviously, must be a system function.
    zoson
    edited November 2016
    Then if it's not the accelerometer that keeps the screen aligned when you rotate the device then what is keeping the screen aligned?
    zosonRedEye52
    edited November 2016
    Pay attention, I didn't sayd that no sensor at all is used, but that the application don't have to read and interpret the data by itself. The SYSTEM does that automatically and sends the "screen orientation" message to each foreground application.
    zoson
    I am paying attention you asked where it was useful in the game and I answered it. If you were looking for some other kind of answer you should have been more specific.
    edited November 2016
    > I am paying attention you asked where it was useful in the game and I answered it.

And I am telling you that there is no point for an application to use the sensor by itself just to find the screen orientation.

Besides, the sensor usages time is less than CPU time, what tells us that the sensor is used only during a certain activity.
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    There's a software command that can keep the screen oriented how the game developer wants the screen to align

The game always aligns as Landscape format on my android devices.

But if I spin the device 180 degrees, the game will also flip 180 to the opposite landscape layout
    DLichTop8dog
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    @DoTak and @jester Talking about the same thing by any chance?
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    SCBMAInspTurbinesjimmorrison369Top8dog
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    @Pig It sure looks that way:
    Cause and effect.
    Auto-centre causes phone-throwing.... ;)
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    Top8dogInspTurbines
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,065
    Some games won't even flip the screen orientation when hold upside down. Those games only accept 1 orentation.
  • TeeceezyTeeceezy Staff Posts: 3,577
    Most likely it's a plugin that requires a catch-all of permissions "just in case", the accelerometer amongst them. To my knowledge it isn't used for anything though.
  • TeeceezyTeeceezy Staff Posts: 3,577
    That'd be pretty damn sweet. @war :grin:
    InspTurbines