Repeatables - Discussion Thread (Read OP before commenting)

Comments

• avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 1,259
    This is a great game. Finding a strategy to advance and beat high level walkers is the thrill of the game. It is the childhood lessons we learned like "the little engine that could" I think I can, I think I can.. that's what drives players to figure out ways to beat the odds. I work in a field that people have hours, days and years to find a way. They always do. Humans are resilient beings. Ready for the next change in NML to beat the odds again. RIP low level survivors. They can't do this no more since the update. They was called my dirty dozen. They're combined total was less than a level 30 Walker. Thoroughly planned maneuvers and skills allowed for these victories. I used their legendary fighters with traits and gears to bait and maneuver around walkers and lay down cover fire. They helped my team and their big brothers and sisters. Used interrupt luck, dodge and exploding walkers against each them walkers. Still costed me gold to heal but at a fraction of the cost. 26 gold to heal a level 19 survivor is costly when you can do it at 5-10 gold. Money is real and talks. Like I said earlier. The game wants my money at $5 a pop under the guise of an exploit. Enough said. Peace be with you.
    SCBMASebi
  • Top8dogTop8dog Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2016

It is a strategy to use the loophole to gain more stars @Top8dog and my thread title is "Maximizing Challenge Stars" and describes the strategy. Plain and Simple!

It's another attempt to prompt the NG staff to remove them because you don't like them Hun,. Youv made that blatlently clear,. But that's not what I'm trying to get at,.. And if you say different I'll agree to disagree because Y'all know I have a poll/thread discussing the subject,... What I'm trying to do is understand your actual view point as to why you hate them so much so maybe I can see where your coming from,. To what actual benefit would you receive from having these removed,. Because even if it's a loop hole as you call it,. It's still a strategy
    I personally can't see the point of removing a part of a game which thousands of people enjoy without a strong justification for it,.. I maybe wrong but what I'm seeing is people bemoaning the leaderboard issue,.. And not much more than that,. Which is why I'm trying to find some valid reasons so I can make more sence of it :smiley:

My post makes perfect sence,... What doesn't make sence is why would a player who totally hates repeatables go out of there way to post very descriptive strategys about how to repeat,. Unless they thought they was drawing attention to something they think NG needs to see lol
    I guess the poll about repeatables isn't good enough because most answers are pointing to keeping them,.. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the aim
    NerfMeSidewaysSebiantArtisansJulialicious
  • stolenstolen Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2016
    So. One thing is sure. 415 score with regular strategy is a fine result. And leader board is now for people using this loophole. Well good for them . I'm happy with my hard gained 415. Definitely not going to use this strategy. Staying with my 20 lvl survivors and 57 lvl account. Only lost my respect to those crazy results.
    Top8dog
  • NerfMeSidewaysNerfMeSideways Member Posts: 211
    edited November 2016
    For people just joining now, I will bring this back on topic and briefly recap this thread for you.

• Use low level survivors to attempt infinitely until you get the proper set up using FLEE. For more details, refer to page 1 of this thread.
    • Buy the 24hr gas booster and don't worry about your healing costs. The low level survivors eliminate healing.
    • Don't bother investing in building up too many survivors because you don't need it. Invest in maybe three survivors so you can reach the high level playing before starting to use the strategy.

Happy Star Hunting! :)
    Top8dog
    Just want to make one point that iv read in here that I completely and utterly disagree with,..
    Simply by removing repeatables will in no way shape or form make it a level playing field,. And that's a ridiculas statement to make,.

There are still so many other variables that make sure it's not a level playing field,. The biggest being that those that can afford to buy better weapons and armour will always have an advantage over those that can't,. Saying that should we remove the option to purchase to make it level?

Oh no I don't here anyone complaining against the biggest accepted exploit in gaming history,.. Something which NG states firmly there against,..
    antLambari
  • THRILLHOTHRILLHO Member Posts: 5
    Ask yourself this - if NG realised this could be done before they designed the Challenge system, would they have just let it slide? I say absolutely not. Slice it up any way you like but it is an exploit of sorts, I don't think that's debatable.

I hope they put measures in place to stop it. I've been playing this game for months now and I've only just found out exactly how this works, I don't consider it a fair strategy at all.
    antPutchucoWeekOne
  • VerbaubVerbaub Member Posts: 650
    They let it slide because its a money maker for them - I know the gas booster doesn't cost a lot, but if you're doing it for say 3 days out of the challenge that's an extra bunch of money for them. My guess is that they've run the numbers and enough people are doing it that the benefit outweighs the cost of fixing the loophole.
    antggbats
  • PerdtinPerdtin Member Posts: 783
    I like having them available and if people want to run up stars, why not? Usually I do not try to run up stars due to the amount of time and the grind. But once in awhile it is fun to push a bit further and/or the guild I am in push it a bit more to get to a level.

It seems to be more of an issue with competition on making the charts. If I was concerned with that aspect of the game perhaps I would look at this differently, though it would seem that throwing enough money at a challenge will lead to equal max stars for everyone. With repeatables there seems to be a chance to get further up by playing, technique, effort and a bit of luck which is inherent to the game.

But the thoughts mentioned by @Top8dog , @Necroboogie and @SlickRick above pretty much covers my line of thinking on the matter.
    Top8dogSCBMAant
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 1,259
    edited December 2016
    Well I still managed to repeat a mission and believe me it was not easy. Cost me lots of gold. My wait time to heal was long. Level 30 on Fuse Box last week. Level 20 fighters and level 30+ walkers. Was this part of the repeatable for this mission? Don't know but found a way.

This week's work for Negan in Fight it out was done the first day. No repeats yet, so board out my mind with the game. Working on TGs to get phones since nothing else to do. Got all week to pull in 1-2 more stars on each until I can't.
    Top8dogJulialicious
    edited December 2016
    avelardez said:

This week's work for Negan in Fight it out was done the first day. No repeats yet, so board out my mind with the game. Working on TGs to get phones since nothing else to do. Got all week to pull in 1-2 more stars on each until I can't.

Exactly the same as me,... And a lot of players I know are in the same boat,... The repeatables and the chance to help my guild push another reward are what keep me playing,.. Especially for the lower half of our guild
    The only reason NG got me raiding is the lure of the 30 phones crate,. Otherwise I'd have no reason what so ever to buy boosters or even pick my iPad up,.. Other than chatting yo my guild mates
    JulialiciousavelardezSebi
    edited December 2016
    THRILLHO said:

Ask yourself this - if NG realised this could be done before they designed the Challenge system, would they have just let it slide? I say absolutely not. Slice it up any way you like but it is an exploit of sorts, I don't think that's debatable.

I hope they put measures in place to stop it. I've been playing this game for months now and I've only just found out exactly how this works, I don't consider it a fair strategy at all.

As mentioned many many times before,.. And by mods too

This is not an exploit,.. Not of sorts,.. Not of any kind,..
    If it was we wouldn't be discussing it as that's against forum rules,... Plan and simple mate,. Not trying to sound patronising but it's a fact clearly stated earlier

Do you consider be able to buy weapons and armour as fair strategy??
    Define fair,....
    Perdtinant
  • blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    I agree that its not an "exploit" but it is counter intuitive.
    Someone shouldn't be able to get more stars with level 8 survivors because they just flee until they get the right setup.
    I don't mind the repeatables where its a "dance" with the walkers.

I like the idea that all traits (and everything) degrade for every level the walker is above you. So when you run past a level 30 walker with a level 8 suvivor, the chance of them missing are next to 0. Therefore the higher level survivors get a benefit.
  • StormLakeStormLake Member Posts: 29
    The piece that doesn't work for me here is that most players have already leveled up the radio tent. This frustrates me because the leading strategy for getting the most challenge stars requires something many players cannot get unless they delete their game and start over.

It is my same gripe with the outposts that only have 4 walkers defending them. That is a much better defense than a fully invested walker army!
    WeekOne
  • kryptonixkryptonix Member Posts: 253
    NCDawgFan said:

Folks are certainly entitled to have their own opinions about repeats, but anyone who thinks that all you need is a collection of low level survivors to consistently beat level 30 walkers is kidding themselves. If it really was that simple then every player would have gotten over 1,000 stars on the Ka-boom challenge and every guild would have had over 12,000 stars. Easy peasy right?

While certainly a bit of skill/knowledge is required, let's be honest here, most repeatable maps are jokingly easy and have been for quite a long time. They range from the stupid (blast 3 lvl 9's at crates/chests, get RNG luck or leave) silly (waiting around on The Lost Bunker for the enemies on fire to kill themselves) to fun to do (waiting for the right setup to blow up the map).

The problem with them is they only favor the lucky that can play non-stop, creating a large disparity between those that can and those that can't. Why should we care how others are playing the game? Simply put as this is not a single player only game, and as well has leaderboards, a large disparity between these two sets of people jeopardizes the competitive environment .

WeekOneant
  • PutchucoPutchuco Member Posts: 1,289
    The amount of starz collected in a challenge should never reflect the time and/or money someone spent on it, period.
    I consider the low-lvl survivor "strategy" an exploit that adds nothing to the gameplay and is extremely off-putting. Who in their right mind wants to spend an tire week with multiple gas boosters to re-run certain missions, rack up thousand or more starz and be proud of that? Challenge results cannot be compared anymore with this in place, which in turn makes the challenges unattractive to say the least.

I am detecting in the season 7 missions a new challenge design NG put in place that does not allow for any repeatables, period. Good.
    I would say if ppl are not satisfied to run a certain limited amount of missions in the challenge, why not go out scavenging or attack outposts?
    The purpose of challenges is to have a fun way of comparing our teams, skills and guilds, not feeling happy about repeating an exploit for a thousand times.
    If you would like to join a drama-free and fun group of enthusiasts,
    contact us via email at [email protected]
    kryptonixWeekOne
  • PerdtinPerdtin Member Posts: 783
    edited December 2016
    The problem with them is they only favor the lucky that can play non-stop, creating a large disparity between those that can and those that can't. Why should we care how others are playing the game? Simply put as this is not a single player only game, and as well has leaderboards, a large disparity between these two sets of people jeopardizes the competitive environment .

That is the inherent issue with limiting repeatables or other changes that people want in order to balance the game and make it competitive. (This is not meant to be at you, but just a general thought.) While in this particular instance you point out people that are lucky and can play non-stop, there are other factors which change things. The most obvious one is spending money to play the game. People who spend more have an inherent advantage. It may be a small advantage that is caught up to quickly by others (a bit of a gold purchase to speed things up) or a large advantage of dropping serious dollars - my outpost was attacked by three level 17 hunters within an hour or so of the release of the version which allowed the council upgrade required to be able to do the training grounds upgrade needed to train survivors up to level 17 . I lost TG and IP.

So taking this to the extreme, you would need to curtail a variety of factors/implement limits to set a range of what is acceptable. I doubt that NG would like to implement spending caps or playing time caps ;)

It seems to me that competitive comes down to a couple of things - the leaderboards on challenges and leaderboards on outposts. It would be interesting to see how much money and time those leaders spend on the game (not that I expect to see it, but I am curious.)

As I mentioned, I do repeatables from time-to-time when the mood strikes me and I would be unhappy to seem them removed since it is something I enjoy playing now and again. But even now I am pretty much tapped out on this challenge and finding the grind of trying to eek out a star or two not a huge appeal right now. I will run a few, send people to the hospital, probably morning and night, the run side missions. To those who want to throw money, time or the rest to get more stars, more power to them.
    Muzzant
  • MystiqueMystique Content Creator ❤️ Posts: 1,454

I haven't voiced my opinion on here in quite some time... This is purely my experience and opinion, FWIW! I never really cared either way if people chose to do repeatables or not, it was how they chose to spend countless hours of THEIR time and THEIR money! I never played them much, for my own reasons!

I quit the game over a month ago after the luck,dodge and interrupt nerf and level 57 fiasco.. It became a completely boring shootem up and hope for the best kind of game.. All strategy was essentially taken away.. My scouts,bruisers and warriors just sat collecting dust for the most part.. Finding value in scouts and bruisers several months ago was a game changer for me at a time when I was ready to give up on the game! I could push my limits on non-repeatable maps which made the game fun and competitive.. I decided to come back and try things out again after this last update.. But, decided to take a different approach to find fun again in the game, and that meant that I was going to play super competitive and play repeatables whenever they were available!! Guess what..Last week I actually had FUN again for the first time in months, and spent 1000's of gold (you're welcome NG) :tongue:

But lo and behold, NG once again decides to ruin what little fun is left in the game with the challenge re-work... So again I will be back to having all of my melee team collecting dust while I play the challenge maps with all of my ranged survivors only to have the maps tapped out at all around the same level... I can't imagine I will last very long playing, once again! If anyone says melee are good for outpost, I simply do not care.. I haven't liked outhouse since it was introduced! I believe my level is 12..

So with the new challenge re-work destroying any chance of repeatable maps.. why not bring back interrupt,luck and dodge and just maybe some of us will still have a reason to stick around.. As it stands the maps aren't balanced enough to be able to push through one whole round (6 maps), for example RSL 25 with having these nerfs.. so one map potentially would stop most people short of being able to make it just a little further for competition sake! Seriously making the re-work way more complicated than it needed to be to fix the low level grind imo!

Sorry for being long winded! :grimace:
    ⚔️ Leader/Elder TheHerdReborn/TheHerdReturned⚔️
    🌟IGN: Rene 🌟 Line ID: Mystique_01
    MuzzSCBMANCDawgFanSebi
    @Muzz I never said that people with the most time shouldn't be able to gather the most, far from it, however when it comes to the competitive part of the game, leaving that as an option makes it completely skewed.

"without repeatables then there is no way that people are going to be able to advance up the global and local leaderboards"
    - True, but this means only the people doing the repeatables get to be on the leaderboard as well. I as well would like to see a weekly individual leaderboard and an end to the current 'season' of leaderboard for a fresh start.

"No repeatables means that every single person in the top guilds will score the same (about 420 plus or minus bonus stars)."
    - I disagree, as we saw 2 weeks ago and will see this week, even with 1 or less repeatables on the map there will be a slight difference in stars. This is based on many factors (not having an equal caliber of 20 people, one person not performing, difficult maps and improper gear/survivors) . The competition will be close, but ultimately the best team will continue to be on top. Having the equal playing field though allows for new competitors to strive to get on the leaderboard.

"I recently passed you on the global leaderboard @kryptonix ."
    - slow and steady my friend. But my position on the leaderboard is not based on skill, merely length of play.
    WeekOne
    As far as repeatables being fun, what exactly is the fun in it? Getting the rewards? Surely it can't be doing the same thing over and over with ease?
  • SebiSebi Posts: 146
    I have seen this scenario in others game.Once this update is live and repeatables are over cashflow first will stagnate then will slowly drop.2-3% per week.Will add up and 3 months from now will get to 50% or less than now. That's the point of no return. When revenue drops questions will be asked. I hope the one responsable for the 2.3 and 2.4 fiasco will have a great time explaining how illogical decisions buried profit and why it decided this against all logic. Good luck and remember this post. I'm so rarely wrong that the chance for this not to happen are equal to my survivors interrupt a lvl 30. Have fun. ...as it lasts. .
    antCrazyD
  • SebiSebi Posts: 146
    There is no threat at all.Just the reality. As players are organized on very large numbers the idea sparked and now some try find alternatives to your generous and fun game. 2.3 generated a very large amount of stress in high level player base, which by the way are the main financial suporters and promoters of this game.As 2.3 wasn't the first time when they had to render their weapons and survivors useless it was just simple logic to assume that this will happen again and again. It's like the 5 great extinctions this planet went. They grew tired. Your rework as designed is just a bad wigg on a half bold scalp. Just more and more restrictions to gameplay .I can't imagine how you might think players will stand this and play happily ever after. I think you never played this game. You don't understand it ,nor your players.It's strange as from what I've seen,you definetly are intelligent beyond average level. But some of your players are too.Don't forget that a curious mind needs it's freedom. Either respect veteran players or pray they stay. Newbies won't support this game nor understand it if the others won't be in here anymore.
This discussion has been closed.