Heroes - how, when and where can I get them?

Hi all, I'm still only a few days into this game, so very new - but I've had some great feedback on the forums from you guys so far, so hopefully you'll be able to help me out again.

I'm a big fan of the show, so I'd love to play with the characters, but I've heard mixed things about how good they are. For those that have the heroes could you help me understand a few things?

- Are tokens the only way to unlock heroes?
- Do the token requirements for each hero change over time? (e.g. Glenn is only 16 tokens right now - will that change?)
- Does the level/rarity of a hero change over time? (e.g. Glenn is only a grey 1* but Michonne is a blue 4* - are these levels set?)
- What's the best way to acquire tokens?
- Once I have enough tokens for a particular hero, do they just show up at my camp or is there more to it?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jcsking1Jcsking1 Member Posts: 43
    Hi MadPuppy - thanks (again) for a great response, much appreciated :)

So just to clarify:
    - I should look to obtain tokens from radio calls and the trade goods store if I want a particular hero
    - The starting level for each hero can increase by using tokens to level them up

A couple of follow-up questions then:
    - When you say I can level up the heroes, are you referring to their stars or their level - these are two different things right?
    - Can I get tokens from a 15 radio call, or do I need to use a specific radio call that offers tokens?
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,823
    edited November 2016
    Negan comes through the season seven missions (look for them in the mission hub, the Negan tokens can be optained by playing the first two missions of each episode).

The other heroes come as described.

There's rarity (stars: common through legendary) and level.

Unlocking and rarity goes by the tokens.

When unlocking a hero they come at the highest level for their respective survivor class. For instance Daryl will come in at the same level as you current highest level survivor of the hunter class. Level traning costs XP which you will earn all over the game, and works exactly the same for both heroes and all the other survivors.

Getting the heroes to a high rarity (4 / 5 stars) will probably take a long time. Long before you'll have your heroes up to 4 or 5 stars you'll have a bunch of normal survivors that high.

Take it at an easy pace and enjoy the ride.

The tokens can come in any call you make. There are currently 10 radio calls with an increased chance at Maggy tokens. But most people here on the forum will agree that while the chance is stated to be higher, they are not impressive. Most just stick to the 15 radio calls.

Which tokens or survivors you get is totally random. Any combination and rarity can happen. Well, in case of the 15 radio call the two lowest rarities are excluded.
    Jcsking1
    Thanks for the response.

So based on your comment about heroes unlocking at the same level as the highest member of that class - would it make sense for me to wait to unlock heroes until I've got my survivors at a very high level?

I now understand about increasing rarity of a hero (using the tokens) and why it takes so long.

Two more questions:
    - Can you increase the rarity of normal survivors as well? I know you can upgrade a trait, but does that also add a star to the survivor?
    - In your experience - which heroes should I try and unlock? (e.g. which are the best value or generally offer more than others?)
    edited November 2016
    Nah, don´t wait. Leveling up is easy, xp comes in all over the place.

Yest, you can upgrade rarity of everyone!
    Upgrading works the same for heroes and survivors. They all take their own kind of tokens.

When you get a survivor from a call you can retire them and get tokens. From 2 tokens for a common 1* to 256 for a legendary 5*.
    The tokens are used for upgrading the traits, and when all available traits are upgraded you get the opportunity to upgrade the rarity.
    You get an extra trait and the process stars again.

All this takes a while, naturally, but then, the game is designed to keep you entertained for a long long time.

I remember to me it felt like eternity before I got my first legendary. But you can play quite a lot of levels with rare or epic survivors as well.

Which hero you get is totally random. It just depends on which tokens you are lucky to get often.

I know people like Glenn for added tomatoes (needed for building upgrades) and Maggy for added xp (needed for leveling up).

But all of them have their use.
    Jcsking1
    MadPuppy - you truly are a hero!

Thank you so much for being patient and answering all my questions - I understand how heroes and leveling work now :)

One final question - I promise!

You said that which hero you get is totally random as it depends on tokens - but that's assuming I only acquire random tokens from 15 radio calls right? I can actually go after a particular hero, like Glenn for example, by buying their tokens when they're in the trade goods store right? Would that be a good approach?
    Absolutely, I get every token I can in the trade shop.
    But you have no influence on which ones appear when, so in that sense it is just as random as what turns up through radio calls.

All that remains is: happy gaming! Hope you have a lot of fun!
    Jcsking1
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,765
    MadPuppy said:

When unlocking a hero they come at the highest level for their respective survivor class.

@MadPuppy
    FYI
    This isn't what happened to me. In the last couple of weeks I've got Abraham and Maggie.
    Both are +1 lvl to my Assaults and Hunters respectively.

So... All my survivors where lvl17 except 1 bruiser lvl18 (from a mission).
    My new (assault) Abraham and new (hunter) maggie where lvl18.

Not sure what it is though. Is it the lvl18 Bruiser?, Is it my player lvl (49) ?
    I dunno.

Awesome help btw
    Jcsking1
    Huh, maybe the heroes are as high as you highest survivor regardless of class. I'm not exactly sure then about that. I just noticed my heroes came in as high as the rest. But usually I have all my suvivors at least one at max level, so could be the class is not important.

Ah well, as long as they don't come in at some ridiculously low level I'm happy.
    jimmorrison369
    Thanks @jimmorrison369 for the info - I appreciate you guys helping me out with my questions.
  • rgerkmanrgerkman Member Posts: 2,465
    Awesome Responses @MadPuppy !!!

@Jcsking1
    Here is an awesome link for Player Guide, Tips & Tricks from an amazing Player, OneLessTitan !!! There's lots of Goodies in there & can help you tons & tons!!

https://twdnomansland.wordpress.com/new-player-guide/

There's also a NML Wiki:

http://nomansland.wikia.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead:_No_Man's_Land_Wikia

& there's lots of awesome players on the Forums always around to help (like MadPuppy!!) so never worry about asking questions!! Ask, ask away!!!

HTHS!!
    -Rhonda
    There Are No Such Things As Stupid Questions.!!
    There Are However.. Plenty of Stupid Answers!!

Rhonda
    MadPuppyJcsking1
  • SynapseRangerSynapseRanger Member Posts: 233
    In response to your question about who the best heroes are, they are Glenn and Maggie in my opinion. Rick and Abraham are good against raiders, Negan and Daryl will be useful in tough missions, Carol is good for "kill the tough walker" missions, Jesus is good for melee missions, Michonne is good with ranged characters, Rosita is good with scouts and shooters. Glenn and Maggie are good in any situation, as they give free resources.
    Good luck, dumbass
    Jcsking1
    @rgerkman - That's a great guide! Thanks so much for sharing - it seems to answer a LOT of my questions. Maybe I can finally stop bothering you nice people on here!

@SynapseRanger - Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it. I recently unlocked Glenn and I like his leader trait. Only got him and Darryl so far though.