n00b question: I've got 15 phones saved up, how should I use them?

so ive got 15 phones saved up and i was going to buy one of those 3-star minimum choose from three radio calls, but then i realized that might not be the best move for a noob player

should i make the one 15-phone 3-star min call, or should i make three 2-star 5-phone calls? or i suppose i could take one of the 2-star 10-phone calls but idk what Maggie tokens even are yet

i just hit level 10 and these are the survivors i have:

Scout:
level 4/4 stars
5/2
3/1
3/1

Bruiser:
4/2

Hunter:
4/3
4/2 (Daryl - hero)
3/1

Comments

• GreySeerGreySeer Member Posts: 308
    I would suggest not going for the 10 Maggie call. Hardly anyone has good experiences with it. And chances of receiving 1* and 2* survivors are very high.

Maggie tokens are specific tokens you need to unlock her, which in total is 120. And that amount is hard to get (common amount is 10 Maggie tokens, or none. Though yes, in theory you could get 128 or 256, but those chances are very slim).

At your level you could benefit more from a decent 3* (or higher). So if you want a guaranteed 3* use the fifteen call.

If you don't mind possibly receiving only 2* you should go for 3x5 call.
  • meathead013meathead013 Member Posts: 189
    im just so new that i dont even know how tough it is to get various level survivors, heck i dont even know what the level system is for survivors

i got that 4-star scout when i accidentally made a 5-phone purchase when i was just looking at the options and trying to scroll right! thats my highest level survivor and it seemed super easy to get, but of course it was my only non-free pull that i didnt even mean to make and i expect i was probably just very lucky

how high do the stars go? how many levels can a survivor get and how high do they typically get for an average player? those are the kinds of things i need to know before i can figure out whether to take the one 15-phone option or the three 5-phone pulls option
    tyvm. that is very helpful

so it seems to me that the strategy would be to make it as far as i can with my current team and whatever else i can get from free calls. and then in the meantime try to get my radio tower as high as possible for when im ready to start spending phones

sort of a good thing i accidentally bought that one 5-phone survivor. if i knew what i know now i would never have spent the five phones, but then i wouldnt have that survivor. i was pissed when it happened but it worked out well
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    GreySeer said:

I'll try to make this as comprehensible as possible for you.

I don't know . . . some of the words you used had more than one syllable. It's possible that you weren't condescending enough. /sarcasm
    Nah he was fine. Great thanks for his info
  • GreySeerGreySeer Member Posts: 308
    @meathead013

Make the calls when you want to make the calls, don't let it be determined by the level of your radiotower. You will have to upgrade them regardless.

Actually I know that I (and a fair amount of other players) neglect upgrading the radiotower because you won't unlock survivors at your current level or higher level anyway.

For example, my survivors are 15/16, but most survivors from calls are around level 8. I'd just rather spend my tomatoes on more important buildings than the radiotower.
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,823
    I haven't upgraded my radio tower in ages, and unless Next makes it more worthwhile to upgrade it will likely be one of the very last up upgrade. And that moment is a long ways off as of yet.
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,065
    There is a 0.0% chance of getting this option unless you always use 15 radios per call. Good luck!
    wow. ok thats good to know

but does that apply to my noob level as well?

im at Lvl 10.7 right now, my tower is at L2 and it says max initial survivor level 5, which is right where my highest survivors are (lvl 5)

my Council is Lvl 5 and i should be able to level that shortly when i reach player Lvl 11. Should i upgrade that (the Council) to 6?
    and i couldnt resist and bought that Black Friday bundle for ten bucks, so now i have 52 phones. im sorta dying to use them but im gonna hold off until i understand the game a little better. all this info you guys are giving me helps a lot but im gonna wait to let it sink in while i continue to play. im not having any trouble completing anything yet so theres no hurry to get new survivors

btw - you know ive never seen the show but so far i like this game a lot. very reminiscent of the XCOM series, which I played the hell out of. anybody remember the very first xcom with the funny little cartoon aliens? lol. that game was brutally tough sometimes but you could cheat your way through with savegame reloads
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    Keep the radio phones for now. You really don't need to call for additional survivors yet. Wait until you have stopped gathering them during the missions then assess the traits on the ones you have.
    yeah thats what i was thinking. thanks for the confirmation
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    Regarding the radio tower and the max initial survivor level (unlock level) - that number (in your case max level 5) is really only the max level for a 1 star common survivor.
    If you pull survivors with more stars, their initial level will be lower than the max initial level your radio tower says. Generally, the higher the rarity (stars), the lower the initial level. I think that's why people don't care that much about upgrading the radio tower asap. The important thing is usually finding higher star survivors with traits you like. The starting level is less important

• jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,765
    The relative cost and time for upgrading low level survivors is nothing compared to the higher level upgrading. That is why radio tower upgrade is not very important. You only skip the fast and cheap part of upgrading.

There used to be a time when the max-(upgradable)-lvl for your survivor depended on your radio tower lvl. Radio tower was very important back then.

Maybe in the future they'll give it a new important role. Patience for now
  • DarkZeroDarkZero Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2016
    NCDawgFan said:

There is a 0.0% chance of getting this option unless you always use 15 radios per call. photo ewu7vqgr1ke8_zpsbj0rxdfv.png

There's about a 0.0% chance of me getting that even when I use a 15 radio call :D Been doing 15 calls for awhile and I still haven't even seen a single Legendary survivor pop up. Just did another three 15 radio calls and here's what I got

65 radios to start with: photo IMG_24231_zps4wvbspv0.png

15 wasted: photo IMG_24241_zpsbdkzkphx.png

Another 15 wasted: photo IMG_24251_zpsczwyomqk.png

Sidenote: Can we please take a moment and recognize that the "Mario" portrait face is Seraph from The Matrix and he even uses pistols? :D photo 905797-seraph_zpsgzeho30o.jpg photo MatrixSeraph_zpsub4zekg2.jpg

Another 15(ish) wasted:photo IMG_24261_zpsvclegjle.png

Siedenote 2: I say ish because the Warrior tokens will help me out but let's be honest....There's almost a 0% chance her last trait when upgraded will be Retaliate so I'm most likely kidding myself. Also, I've very disappointed that on a forum about games NOT ONE person has named their swordmaster- photo IMG_24281_zpszumkueks.png

And now down to 20 radios:photo IMG_24271_zpsg8m97yke.png
    Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me DZ.
    meathead013