Why warriors are awesome

Sometimes I think warriors are the most overlooked class of survivors. Sure your hunters and shooters and assualts are great choices, but with warriors you don't have to worry about the dreaded body shots. As you can see on the "before and after" attached photos, your warriors can deal massive amounts of certain death in many situations. I was able to kill seven level 20 and 21 walkers in a single blow. If you are normally a ranged survivor player, don't be afraid to use your warriors from time to time just to mix things up. Good hunting!
Conan1976mimicajimmorrison369InvaderavelardezgespuerDoTakShut_UppsychwolfPapacasPiccoloGovernator

Comments

• jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,051
    Pretty sure an Assault could've done the same. I agree with the point your trying to make though
  • Survivor6ixSurvivor6ix Member Posts: 131
    I have to disagree. Some missions they are absolutely the right tool for the job. But for the most part (outposts, low level challenge missions, and farming) I find them mostly less effective.

- With higher level walkers I'd rather use a scout due to higher strength, and better mobility; or a ranged survivor to accrue less hospital time (shooting from distance is usually going to be safer than getting up in walkers face)
    - With low level missions I'd rather use an assault to kill more walkers faster, and bring on more walkers for a little extra XP
    - With farming, why use someone who won't alert more walkers?

I do love chopping off heads, and they do look cool doing it. But I think just about every other type of survivor has more use in common situations.
    DarkZeroJayZ
  • DarkZeroDarkZero Member Posts: 339
    Agree with @Survivor6ix especially when it comes to farming. I already use Glenn for Leader trait so another melee unit hurts more than it helps when trying to draw more walkers. It also becomes extremely risky when you get to +4 levels, if you make a single mistake or Warrior doesn't kill off what you expected them to on that turn, then you're gonna have a bad time :D
    Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me DZ.
  • Marcus6253Marcus6253 Member Posts: 208
    I rarely get the situation shown in your screen shot and more often have a group of walkers that my warrior can only attack/kill 3 or 4 out of 5, almost ensuring hospital time after the mission is over.
    Invadergespuer
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,567
    Second what some of the people above have said.

One other part that bugs me a lot about Warriors is that their bonus attack does 75% as much damage as a normal attack, which is totally different from the Charge attacks of any other class, which has a guaranteed Critical (or Stun in the case of an Assault). When I play Hard scavenger missions, I can't one-shot walkers using my bonus attack, which is infuriating, because I might as well not even use the Charge ability if I need the same number of turns to kill the same herd of zombies.
    Shut_UpTheSittingDuckInspTurbines
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 1,261
    I was just showing a buddy this yesterday. I agree. I use them a lot on missions and in outpost. Use them to test player strength. Since they have two turns. Shooter, warrior scout. Grab TGs and cut two once to see if they strong. If that critical kicks in, I cut them again and finish them off on the next turn with another cut and my shooters follows up with two rounds to each of their heads and my scout uses his power strike on the last to soften him up to face the next three strikes.
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,266
    @NCDawgFan ...oh great, now i see the nerfing warrior action coming with the next update. It would be better to keep safe those considerations... :#
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    Shut_UpGrimGaelPapacas
    In case anyone was curious about the thread that @Shut_Up mentioned where NG confirms that the weaker charge move is intentional, here it is: http://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/14233/warrior-bonus-attack

You don't have to convince me to lobby for buffing the Warrior's bonus attack. I necro'd a 2 month old thread to initially ask about this, and you can see that I do my best to plead my case (which hasn't seemed to make a difference, at least in 2.3).
    Shut_UpMizTyInspTurbines
  • SPOOKYSPOOKY Member Posts: 8
    I use two warriors and a shooter in my outpost attacks and am at 4850 influence. Not fully upgraded yet. I love chopping the heads off all your ranged defenders!
    Papacas
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    Even though I agree with everything that's been said against them, I still love my warriors and use them when I can so agree with @NCDawgFan

I take one along on every raid to deal with the armored walkers (scout/assault/warrior) and love using them on challenge maps with hordes of armored. They'll probably get a rest in the upcoming Compound, which I believe has fatties on 5/6 maps and no armored at all

And I too only found out about their charge ability a few months ago from reading the forums and then paying closer attention. It's disappointing and would love to see it buffed, but won't let it prevent me from using them.
    jimmorrison369MizTyggbats
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    @JayZ You must have just posted you message from 12:02 will I was still typing in my post that's right behind yours but I like that we are on the same page about this. I'm going to say the movement to fix the warrior special attack now has 2 people in it!

@DarkZero You're right, 2 normal attacks would not shift the balance of power and world control over to the warrior but that is what NG thinks. Shteevie did like a point by point analysis of why shooters and scouts and warriors' special attacks are the way they are in a thread of mine on one of the special katanas. I'm going to post this then go find it but basically because the warrior can hit more than 1 target it wasn't fair to give them 2 normal attacks. they are entitled to that opinion but they are wrong. Like I said on paper or in the NG think tank lab it might seem fair and balanced but real world testing shows otherwise. I feel if they had someone playing high level challenge missions and doing outpost raids for hours on end to learn more about end stage playing they would learn a good deal. "In vitro" (Literal meaning is taking place in glass) results don't always correlate to "in vivo" (taking place in the living) results.
    MizTyJayZ
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    I use warriors more than shooters. Shooter aren't the best for farming, unless I'm missing something.
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for linking that post @JayZ and I have to agree with points that others have made. Sure they can hit a number of enemies but if you think about it, their "special ability" is: Using two turns to accomplish what is normally done in one :D
    Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me DZ.
    JayZ
    @Shut_Up I think the post from @Shteevie is in the thread I linked to above. Like you said, I don't think it makes sense. Even though the Shooter can only kill up to two enemies in a turn while Warriors might be able to kill more, the Shooter benefits from (1) attacking at a distance so they take less damage, (2) requiring fewer charge points, which are harder to get on higher level missions, and (3) guaranteeing a critical on their free attack.

As much as I'd love to see the Warrior attack buffed to a critical, I would honestly be happy with just a normal damage attack. IMO, Warriors have really fallen by the wayside now that Scouts have Swift Strike and the Kingdom Spear, Bruisers have Swift Strike and Morgan's Staff, and the other survivors have ranged attacks. The thing that made Warriors unique and fun is no longer unique...
    GrimGaelDoTakMizTy
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    @JayZ All valid points on how NG's attempt to maintain balance between the classes is falling short. As far as my solution I'm not saying it should definitely be a critical attack and a normal attack. At a minimum it should at least be a normal first attack and then a weaker second attack instead of the other way around. This is not my optimal or preferred solution as my preferred solution would be 2 normal attacks and then revisit the issue again in a month or 2 after they are able to "gather data." I have no expectation that they would make the first attack a critical followed by a a second critical or a normal attack. I wouldn't want them to do this right off the rip either as we have seen the correction to a problem be more of a problem so I would rather then take little steps to correct this.
    MizTy
  • NCDawgFanNCDawgFan Member Posts: 2,070
    I always make my first move with my best warrior (screen shot attached), that way my ranged survivors can clean up any leftovers if there are any. I also forgot to include that warriors are much better suited to deal with armored walkers than any ranged survivor class. They are my go-to team on mission like SWAT (minus the last assualt buff of course). I'm not trying to convince everyone to stop using their ranged survivors, just trying to get a little love for the neglected warrior class. And like @SPOOKY said, it is really cool to see all those walker heads rolling around on the screen. Good hunting everyone!
    MizTy
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    I maintain a stable of warriors. But I also maintain a stable of bruisers.
    Melee needs some love from NG, but I'd hate to see their standard problem solving method applied because it would mean nerfing every ranged class, again.
    DarkZeroMizTy
    GrimGael said:

Melee needs some love from NG, but I'd hate to see their standard problem solving method applied because it would mean nerfing every ranged class, again.

Sounds like government work: Measure with a micrometer, mark with a Sharpie and cut with a chainsaw :D
    GrimGaelOvidmikelMizTy
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    There, we go, @DarkZero
    Next warrior bundle--Ash's chainsaw.
    MizTy