Semi-New Player Questions

Hello. New to the forum here. Have been playing since about 2 weeks before season 7 started. A couple questions though:

1) I'm always getting garbage gear/equipment which seemingly makes it 100% impossible to complete some missions (Some level 16 missions using level 16 survivors have me dying less than half way through the mission). After reading through the forum a bit, some people have posted about having X level players with X+2or3 equipment (after upgrading, I know). I have players at level 16 but am only pulling level 15 common or level 13 epic (if I'm lucky), sometimes level 12 common. Do you have to pay for legendary, higher level equipment? I don't pay to play, and would prefer NOT wasting all of my trade goods on one weapon.

2) Are scouts even worth keeping outside of (maybe) an outpost raid?

3) For a while, I was only upgrading a few buildings here and there as I needed to upgrade the counsel to upgrade my survivors. Is it better to max out all of your buildings before upgrading your counsel? Outside of overall building upgrade capabilities, I haven't found how your overall player level matters much for anything else.

My Survivors are at level 16, player level 41

Thanks for any info. By all means, link any threads I may have missed.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

IGN: xxarea83xx
Guild: Anti Walkers
Player Level: 68

Comments

• jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,765
    Best bet for you atm is buying legendary/epic with tradegoods.
    Your player lvl(41) gives you 15/16 legendary equipment for 7,5k tg.
    Or you can get garanteed equipment lvl for 12,5k.

Doing hard scavenge on equipment should work to. But those missions are probably to hard for you. (You'll get 1 or 2 per 100 missions)
    Doing challenge above your survivor level should work to. But those missions are probably to hard for you, too.

It depends on your play-style. For me personally, there aren't many missions I won't take a scout with me. There is much potential, it's up to you to discover.

Upgrading buildings, aside from the obvious benefits, helps you get good equipment from legendary and epic crates. Not much more I know off.

• DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    Welcome to the forum @xxarea83xx

1) your best bet regarding getting epic or legendary usable gear is to play in challenges 1-3 levels above your current level of survivors. The game is designed to reward players for difficult play and hence why when you face RSL equal to your own, your equipment will be lower level than yourself. @OneLessTitan has created a sheet (which has been suggested many times to be stickied... I don't have it off hand or else I would share it with you) regarding how crate drops from the TG store work regarding your BP (player level). You're not going to find usable epic or legendary gear unless you face tougher opponents in challenges (or hard mode scavenger).

2) scouts are worth keeping yes. Maybe 1 or 2. I have 3-4 but I play outposts ALOT. They are also very helpful on some challenge missions requiring you to get crates since they have extra long movements they can run far. I always bring one with me in every mission (scavenger, challenge, raid)

3) appears with the 2.3 update BP is spread evenly (although I can't confirm it). It's always best to max council then training grounds, then workshop.

For only playing for 2 months you've come quite a long way. lvl 41 with survivors lvl 16 you must play alot! I hit lvl 16 around 4 months into my playing (but that was before the era of gas boosters... since then I've leveled quickly.)

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    jimmorrison369bigbeanobobochbobMizTy
  • xxarea83xxxxarea83xx Member Posts: 221

Best bet for you atm is buying legendary/epic with tradegoods.
    Your player lvl(41) gives you 15/16 legendary equipment for 7,5k tg.
    Or you can get garanteed equipment lvl for 12,5k.

Doing hard scavenge on equipment should work to. But those missions are probably to hard for you. (You'll get 1 or 2 per 100 missions)
    Doing challenge above your survivor level should work to. But those missions are probably to hard for you, too.

It depends on your play-style. For me personally, there aren't many missions I won't take a scout with me. There is much potential, it's up to you to discover.

Upgrading buildings, aside from the obvious benefits, helps you get good equipment from legendary and epic crates. Not much more I know off.

Some levels are definitely harder than others. I've passed levels ranked 2 levels above my survivor levels at times with minimal injuries and get killed fast on equal level missions. I will say though, at this point, I'd rather face 3 tanks over 2 armored walkers. It seems, even if I bring a scout and/or warrior team, the armored walkers always get the best of me.

Hard scavenge missions are hit or miss for me. I'd say i beat them 9 out of 10, but with injuries. I'll have to run those more often. I've been concentrating on food supplies for 99% of scavenge missions.

Thanks for the info!

edited December 2016
    DLich said:

Welcome to the forum @xxarea83xx

1) your best bet regarding getting epic or legendary usable gear is to play in challenges 1-3 levels above your current level of survivors. The game is designed to reward players for difficult play and hence why when you face RSL equal to your own, your equipment will be lower level than yourself. @OneLessTitan has created a sheet (which has been suggested many times to be stickied... I don't have it off hand or else I would share it with you) regarding how crate drops from the TG store work regarding your BP (player level). You're not going to find usable epic or legendary gear unless you face tougher opponents in challenges (or hard mode scavenger).

2) scouts are worth keeping yes. Maybe 1 or 2. I have 3-4 but I play outposts ALOT. They are also very helpful on some challenge missions requiring you to get crates since they have extra long movements they can run far. I always bring one with me in every mission (scavenger, challenge, raid)

3) appears with the 2.3 update BP is spread evenly (although I can't confirm it). It's always best to max council then training grounds, then workshop.

For only playing for 2 months you've come quite a long way. lvl 41 with survivors lvl 16 you must play alot! I hit lvl 16 around 4 months into my playing (but that was before the era of gas boosters... since then I've leveled quickly.)

I definitely was able to level up a bit faster as, since i started playing, I received 24hrs full gas twice for free and hoarded some gold for a while that helped to speed up upgrades. Admittedly tho, I do indeed play a little more often than some would consider healthy. LOL

I'll see about playing some harder missions too. Thanks for the info!

• bigbeanobigbeano Member Posts: 595
    @ xxarea83xx,you definitely should do scavenge on hard mode,regular results in scrap 99 percent of the time!Sounds like u play alot,hard mode gives better gear you can use in the near future!
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    I always accepted the pain of upgrading farms first. It made everything slower at first but paid off in the long run. Then mission car. If you have long sections of time to play reverse that. Then training ground and workshop. I know that's the big payoff of the council upgrade, but it was great to have my little farmers plugging away 24/7 while all the glamor stuff was going down.
    MizTy
    @GrimGael I'm starting to upgrade more things at the moment. My 5 farm plots are 3 at lvl 9 & 2 at lvl 8, and 4 supply storage storages are 3 at lvl 8 & 1 at lvl 7. I'm doing well on all of those for now i suppose. As fast as I was always looking to upgrade, those were always my first priorities (after counsel and training grounds of course). My mission car is only at lvl 6. I'll probably boost that up a couple levels too. And I definitely fell back on upgrading the workshop. need to get that up higher too. After realizing it was more important than i originally thought, I got it up to lvl 12, but i definitely need it to be higher if i get better gear. I always get too indecisive about what to upgrade and when.

Thanks

• GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    I only grudgingly upgraded storage when I couldn't store enough to upgrade anything else. If you're F2P that is the path. It only comes into play if you are going to buy bundles that grant full supplies. If you do, you want those maxed first to take full advantage.
    bigbeanoMizTy
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,823
    edited December 2016
    What GrimGael said.

I went for the fresh survivor bundle and the one after that. And in order to have the highest possible effect I first upgraded almost nothing but the farms and storage. When I had my storage to 17million I got the bundles.

There's a very big drawback to that though: you'll rise in player level but your training and workshop will lag behind. You'll run into trouble where some fights should be doable based on your player level but are simply not doable because you've lagged on the offensive upgrades.

I didn't mind... much... and have made up for it since, because I used the tomatoes from the bundles to get the upgrades on the workshop and training grounds.

Alls well that ends well.

Possibly THIS post will have some useful links for you as well.
    MizTy
    Not keeping the workshop upgraded for awhile is a big no no,I saw pple that didn't do this get so ANGRY they just stop playing,it was a shame really!
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,823
    Very true warning @bigbeano thanks for making it much more concise.
  • Black_JackBlack_Jack Member Posts: 278
    The more evenly you upgrade your camp and not rush in upgrading survivor level will result in better gear drops from crates
    bigbeanoMizTyGrimGael
    Judging by what everyone has been saying, it looks like my best course of action would be to lay off doing too many upgrades on my survivors for a while (unless necessary to not keep XP's maxed out for no reason) and upgrade a few buildings, especially my workshop. Seems I underestimated the workshop more than I originally thought.

Thanks for all the info. I ran a couple scavenge missions on hard mode and have already pulled 2 lvl 18 equipment (1 common, 1 uncommon). Solid advice. so thank you again!!

Yes,my survivor level is kinda low for someone who has played so long,I'm cool with it though,I only play the hard scavenge,and focus on gear alot.I simply couldn't find anything worth keeping anymore until my change,a few bruises once in awhile is worth it!