PSA: Guild Advertising Isn't Working As Documented

GindyGindy Member Posts: 703
The "Guild Advertising" feature is documented as:
  • "Advertise for the next 24 hours or until the guild is full"
  • "Targets players based on the average level of the Guild members and the country of the Guild leader"
The below information I first brought to support on Tuesday BUT since getting my canned response, following up with providing supporting evidince on and stil having not yet received a response it's my obligation to bring this to the community so you all can be made aware.

I've used Guild Advertising on a number of occasions since it's release. It worked the first few times; hoewver, over the last half-dozen attempts I've used it, not a single request has been submitted. At first I thought it was a fluke and/or so many guilds were advertising I never made the cut.

I opened a support ticket:

"We checked through the functionality of the advertisements carefully, and they seem to be going out to players as designed. There are multiple different factors that have an effect on who can see your ad, ranging from guild and player location to player levels. Unfortunately we can't say for sure what makes players shoose a certain guild over another. It is completely possible that it is also down to luck that some leaders can not receive any requests even after advertising their guild.

As there is a limited amount of players searching for a guild at each time, we can not assure that every advertisement will receive applications."

So... I decided to just do a little investigation myself 'cause that's what I do.

1) I opened the "GUILD" window with my L38 account, no search applied :: guild displayed was "Brexit_UK"
  • (fail!) I'm in the US, Brexit_UK is not in my country
  • (fail!) Looking for L48+ players, way above my toon's level/capabilities
2) I searched for "WATCH TOWER" :: guild displayed was "Brexit_UK" and "WATCH TOWER 20"
  • (fail!) Brexit_UK is not in my country
  • (fail!) WATCH TOWER 20 filled up within minutes of first posting their ad this morning, and their status is 20/20.
  • (fail!) All other WT guilds are displayed (including two guilds without these words in their name) but my guild, WATCH TOWER 8 does not.
3) ONLY when I type my guild name in whole "WATCH TOWER 8" does my AD display.
  • (fail!) I'm in the US, Brexit_UK is not in my country
  • (fail!) If someone is typing in my WHOLE guild name, why would I need to advertise!?!?

So! It's no wonder I'm not receiving requests! And how many others who have multiple-guilds is this affecting?

Speechless...

@Shteevie -- I still have my in-game support ticket active. Can you please help make sure this issue is properly addressed? I've been trying to have this resolved since Monday, and to quote the initial response I received from support, "the guild ads are currently the only way to grow your guild in the game." This is a big issue, a huge concern, and I'm sure this isn't something only affecting myself and my guild.

WalkerballzArtisansDeadBeatjesterSgtSalamidrkuharLorindReapersRedEye52Pic_Lily_

Comments

• bucko69bucko69 Member Posts: 44
    Leave ur guild open it will fill up fast
  • GindyGindy Member Posts: 703
    @bucko69 - can you please elaborate on what that means? If there's a proven strategy behind recruiting and response to posting ads, I'm open to trying :)
    Pic
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 3,341
    If your guild is "full" (20 out of 20 slots filled), then no amount of advertising will help. It will not be visible when people search for it.

You may also want to check your guild settings. Click the "i" next to your guild name and look at the drop-down list. Make sure you are not "Closed." I leave mine set for "Join by Request" so I can approve people coming in as opposed them joining on a first-come, first-served basis.

Governer just explained but if u leave guild open it will fill up then u will have to discard guys/gals that u dislike till u get what u want
  • jesterjester Member Posts: 2,733
    @Gindy is a member of the Watch Tower. The largest guild system in the game (nearly 600 members). I'm pretty sure she understands the intricacies. The point is they want to advertise and it's not working as stated.
    ArtisansSgtSalamiRedEye52
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 3,341
    @jester I didn't know @Gindy 's affiliation. I always assume people are down at my level. :lol:
    jesterTheCrabGindyRedEye52
  • GindyGindy Member Posts: 703
    So a quick update after setting my guild status to "Open" as suggested and letting it ride 8'ish hours... Nothing. Not one. That eliminates the "request missed" possibility.

I also changed the guild description as maybe the L42/300+ star requirement was scaring off people. Check that box off, too!

BUT, if you search WATCH TOWER, #15's ad displays... they're 20/20.
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    We get a lot of support tickets for guild ads; I think it's safe to say that no one feels like they work perfectly. However, what support says is correct; they are the only way in the game to try and get your guild name in front of players. We will be looking into the issues with the feature for a future update; there is no time left in the schedule to do anything about it immediately.

Some considerations to add to the conversation here:
    * Guild ads do work for many players. Turning them off is not an option that would please anyone.
    * It is true that a guild can advertise when there is no one looking to join a guild with those parameters. However, it is unfortunate that you cannot see or set those parameters yourself.
    * Because we can't tell when players look for guilds, or what guilds they see but decide not to join, it's not possible for us to know definitively whether any individual guild ad was successfully seen or not.
    * There is a guild called Brexit_UK with some members in the US. Also in Brazil. This is why it showed up in your list even though you are not in the UK yourself.

I understand your frustration, and I have a guess as to what might happen that could be a cause of the issue, so I'll add it to the technical discussion we have about the issue in the hopes that it helps. You are being heard, and I'm sorry that there's nothing we can do for your issue right now.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    1RisTJS
  • El_GringoEl_Gringo Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for the update !

I'll be patient and roll dices until a fix ;)
  • LorindLorind Member Posts: 52
    I 100% agree with the original post. I've wasted a lot of gold trying to use the ad feature and it is not working at all. I have also watched while a friend of mine tested it out shortly after I advertised and my guild was nowhere to be found.

Based on the factors in the original post my guild should have been right there. To see it stated that there is nothing that can be done about it right now is disheartening. This feature costs gold and should not be available unless it is working as it should be. I love little Carl but I don't see spending the manpower to introduce him to the game as close to the importance of correcting the ads that many spend real money on.

Being able to choose ad parameters ourselves sounds like a dream come true though, I would love to see this once the problem is corrected

Are you ready to meet

Then check out our Guild Thread

GindyjesterRoos1
  • TheBRADLeyBTheBRADLeyB Member Posts: 82
    I spent about 500 gold on guild advertising this last week before I found out there was a known problem with the advertising. I don't find it very encouraging that it's not working and there's no warning to players that they could be putting gold into a feature that doesn't work and they will never receive any kind of reimbursement. And before anyone thinks that I don't understand how life works I'd like to point out that my guild is listed as 'Open' meaning people can join without me approving it. It's also got 10 members so it's not a 20/20 problem, it's either a guild advertising glitch or no one wants to join the guild with the really cool name 'Dead Kings' and that simply cannot be.

So what do we do about this?
    GindyArtisans
  • LadyAquilaLadyAquila Member Posts: 625
    I've tried advertising three times. Never once got a new member from it. Forum boards yield much better results.
    1RisDeadBeat[Deleted User]Gindy
  • BrenrBrenr Member Posts: 34
    I don't know why you can't click on a learderboard guild and request anymore. Maybe their way of saying buy our advertising that dosent work.
    Gindy
    Am gonna try again monday lets see what happens will let u no!!
  • jmababajmababa Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2017
    advertise in reddit you'll get full very fast people tend to look in reddit 1st 2nd in forms last on that ad
  • drkuhardrkuhar Member Posts: 144
    I posted screenshot a while back when I complained for same reason. It stated no refunds it's a luck of the draw and they only allow people from your area to see your add. I can't find my post but if anybody can please link to it. The screenshot from ng are in it. Unless they pulled the post
    Gindy
  • drkuhardrkuhar Member Posts: 144

Here it is from end of december. Don't spend your gold anymore
    Just finished my 24hr ad with nobody joining 100 gone with nothin 2 show
    Gindymauramail
  • AdamJAdamJ Member Posts: 1
    I had kicked out a lot of members who had not logged in for over 50 days in the hopes of getting members who actually play (down to 6 that do now). I have lost count of how many time I have advertised (with guild set to open). If you guys at NG think people are happy to buy something that doesn't work, then you guys are mistaken and all it will do is earn you a bad name as a company. Please give us an update on your progress, so we know that is not the case or perhaps change the parameters of the purchase ie: extend or remove the time limit until it is fixed.

Thank You
    Reapersmauramail
  • PahootsPahoots Member Posts: 8
    We have a new guild and I spent 100 gold to advertise. We only have 10/20 and set to join by request. No takers yet and now after 24 hours system no longer advertises - says advertise for 1d or until your guild is full. 10/20 is not a full guild..I won't be doing this again
    mauramaildrkuhar
  • TheBRADLeyBTheBRADLeyB Member Posts: 82
    So now it's been 600 Gold spent on advertising and nothing to show for it. I'm displeased with this all!
    jimmorrison369DeadBeat