No faith in the outpost community (Experiment)

(Disclaimer: this is expressed in more of a light-hearted tone in good fun, rather than any dramatic production)

So, I had intentionally dropped influence into various lower tiers. Just for fun, I ran a mini social-experiment over a period of time. I already anticipated the results, but I wanted to see for myself personally (and not just rely on the tragic tales spoken in the Confession thread). So, I plugged in low-level defenders with lvl 1 weapons, set on stationary, far away from Crates. I even re-named my defenders with a feeling of hope & faith. Yet, every one of you killed them all. Everytime. Across different tiers. Including several of you Forum people (don't worry, not going to publicly shame anyone, but you know who you are).

You have all destroyed my faith in the outpost community. Heart-broken. Forever. I suppose you're only as good as the situational environment allows you to be.

So now I'm reinstating a full 9-star Defender crew. I even re-named them more appropriately too. Maybe you can still win. But you might have to walk through the fire, now. No more free TG's. My heart has turned to stone.

And so it is written. So it shall be done.

zbotmostlyharmlessKaLiJaden1RisMonsutaDoTakstick_ninjaKARAZIPKALIiozzegJAZZZMANJackBauerPutchucoTheCrabCaptainslayerTeeceezyDLichPowerUKwrinkled_bagWalkerballzmas_killercapibaraGebobsSquall_NMLDonCoquiAndreasrmcn1031Maverick1969vshield50SCBMAricktadaantGovernatorJulialiciousArtisanssoggybottomsFOADStelioTheLostOnesVerbaubbigbeanobooshSmittySpivey3dltmellow_93TweetyBirdBlack_Jacktalliniemitze90demonkingSynapseRanger

Comments

• JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    Wouldn't have dreamed of attacking either setup... but I guess we are not in the same tier anyway. ;)
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    1RisPigMovado
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    @Movado
    What about the middle path? - killer defenders but no blocked TG.
    A free ride for gentle souls and death to all challengers.
    Movadoyoyoszoson
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    What's the influence tier at? Feel like to attack three 9 stars just for fun and to see how it work out. :D
    MovadoGovernatorbigbeano
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    @Mabiki

That's what I do. Only that my defenders aren't as awesome (but the best I have).
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm in the same boat as Movado, well, actually my boat is inflatable and his is a battleship, but on with my story...

Not a big Outpost guy. Raid for TGs in spare time. Setup both my accounts with 2 steps to crate, crap defenders cowering in fear, named appropriately. Both in 2k gold III tier. Don't get raided often, but vast majority of time it's some bullies taking candy from my babies. Mostly didn't care. But like Movado, starting to lose faith ;)

Decided to see what would happen if I switched defenders in my alt. Threw some heroes in there with mediocre gear.

What a difference so far. Crate in same place, defenders and settings changed from 'free goods, no need for violence, peace, out' to the new 'take my friggin trade goods and nobody gets hurt'

Might soon follow this on my main game :)

JadenSquall_NMLMovadodemonking
  • Squall_NMLSquall_NML Member Posts: 737
    @DoTak
    My outpost mostly lose on defense. So if your defense won, you'll get higher influence? Got 40-46 is high imo :open_mouth:
    Movadoyoyos
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 6,684
    Awesome @Movado ;)

I stopped long time ago to give free path and free trade goods. Makes no sense. When i used to give them for free they always went for influence. Imo they consider that easy tg means easy outpost defense. So... Fight for trade goods. I also like to fight for tg but before i use to kill the whole setup. :)
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    jesterMovadoSCBMAyoyos
    @Squall I wasn't paying attention to that but looks like that's true. I was just surprised to actually win a few for a change
    Squall_NMLMovadobigbeano
  • AndreaAndrea Member Posts: 1,009
    @Movado
    Same result for me yesterday!
    People haven't good hearth :(
    Movado
  • FenixoFenixo Member Posts: 141
    Will never lower my defenders... Never worked. If you want, take TG, but if you wanna fight... Lets dance! :naughty: P.S. If I raid and meet the team with changed names, no special walkers and all out of the way, I always take TG. But if at least 1 walker touches my survivors or any defender stands in my path, I'm gonna try to kill you at all costs.

antizops.wordpress.com
    - Connecting survivors worldwide! Join for TV shows, news and fun.
    MovadoNeil_JVerbaub
  • xxarea83xxxxarea83xx Member Posts: 221
    I don't get it. How can a defense win? I've put in my best survivors to defend my outpost and I NEVER see "Defense Won" no matter how i arrange defenders and walkers or no matter which location i use. I thought the outpost was always set up for the attacker to win
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

IGN: xxarea83xx
    Guild: Anti Walkers
    Player Level: 68
    Maverick1969bigbeano
  • srmcn1031srmcn1031 Member Posts: 565
    @Movado I wish you would out the people that say they only raid for tg but kill your defenders instead. I let people take the tg, because that is all I am after. Sorry to hear that you lost faith, but I understand why you did. Good luck to the people that raid you now, I for one won't be cause I am not in the same tier as you.
    Movado
  • TJCartTJCart Member Posts: 412
    @Movado I suppose I'll just take your flag and we'll call it a draw. Don't judge me if I sometimes pull it out at night and use it as a security blanket.

@Andrea I think part of your problem is that you're sitting at over 5K influence. No matter how you have your base set up, I think there will always be opportunistic influence pushers going for the leaderboards.

For my part, I've always done fairly decent on outposts as I've leveled up--about 50/50 win-loss rate. I've always just kept some half decent anti-stun and dodge gear slapped on my survivors. Recently, I've changed to a set up that allows for a free TG run. However if you don't take them right after opening the gate, there will be a fight.

I'll never put LLS in my OP because no matter how altruistic the community becomes toward sharing TGs, there will always be some people ready to snipe influence as long as it's a mechanic of OPs, regardless of what influence level you're at. While influence isn't a huge deal to me, I'm certainly not going to give it away for free since I get a small TG "dividend" every two weeks with it :smile:
    MovadoAndrea
    @xxarea83xx I don't get it either. That's why I'm shocked with those recent results. Especially the bottom one with 3x 19s coming at me. Think I have 1 or 2 losses with those new defenders that I didn't post though.
  • HelioHelio Member Posts: 522
    If I'm under 4200 I will kill ANY easy base... Once I'm over 4200 I only take TG.
  • Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    edited March 2017
    I raided you Monday or Tuesday and the pushovers were not defending if they were I would have taken the TG and left. I'm pretty sure the bullets just bounced off the A Team.
    MovadoCaptainslayer
  • feracolyteferacolyte Member Posts: 163
    i think it's just a symptom of a larger problem to be honest. setting up the best defense on lake and blocking the crate just results in more fleeing Tg runner, but the shield doesn't activate unless you lose so someone else will just come along eventually to fight for influence. it doesn't take much to replenish the influence lost by losing raids so i just expect to lose influence a few times a day. no big deal and i feel like i'm helping the community farm their tokens and gear. like a lot of people i only do challenges wednesday-sunday and then weekly story mission and raids monday-tuesday so it only ends up being a few losses per week
    Movado
  • feracolyteferacolyte Member Posts: 163
    don't get me wrong i like to option to flee from outposts with no injury as it lets me plan out my tg running according to my hospital tolerance but i feel like there should be a tangible benefit to the defender for setting up a proper defense.

my reasoning flowchart for raids is pretty simple:
    can i reach the tg crate?
    if no, can i kill these guys without getting bruised?
    if no, how full is the hospital?
    how much gas is left?
    the influence doesn't really change much for me... between 5200-5300 influence in really unlikely to advance a tier or drop a tier and even then it's only 1000 tg difference per 2 weeks.

if the defense looks really soft and squishy i might engage them for a little extra exp. might not seem like much but the difference between 30000 exp and 7000-8000 exp for 2 gas is quite a lot
    Pig
  • EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872

I don't get it. How can a defense win? I've put in my best survivors to defend my outpost and I NEVER see "Defense Won" no matter how i arrange defenders and walkers or no matter which location i use. I thought the outpost was always set up for the attacker to win

I won 90% of the defense until recently
    All of a sudden I was loosing every defense and lot of influence

So I changed my outpost to one that I never opened the gate on because I usually take too much damage
    I also updated all my walkers to level 19 which hopefully causes the raiders to take some damage or run out of time

Ok, so now I am winning 90% of the defenses in my outpost again
    So try changing your outpost location to one that you hate to raid

nobibiMovado
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Pfft. There’s enough for all at the Grimstead.
    Maybe they remember you killing people in their outpost, despite free access to the TG, @Andrea I seem to recall something like that, lol.
    AndreaMovado
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 4,406
    My decisions to kill the defenders are pretty simple: Are they blocking the TGs and are they set up to pick off one at a time or stun as a group? If they meet these 2 criteria, I go for the kill. I have passed up plenty of easy kills because the TGs were not blocked.Sorry @Movado I didn't come across you to help keep your faith in humanity. :sunglasses:
    PigJadenMovadoVakali
  • CaptainslayerCaptainslayer Member Posts: 1,430
    I only go for tg except when i surged upto the 5k tier a few months back.
    But I must admit if i came across yours @movado knowing how good your survivors were I probably would've beat them just so i can say i beat you even though it would of been an empty victory lol
    Elder of dragons weyr a top USA guild
    Movado
  • AndreaAndrea Member Posts: 1,009
    edited March 2017
    @GrimGael probably you're right :D but you do the same >:)
    I was young and bad ;) but today is different! Only TG until someone block it or get survivors in defensive!
    My fridge contain a good italian beer for all!...but kill my survivors and " Not today, Not tomorrow...i'll kill you" o:)
    Have a nice day bad guys!!
    Movado
  • carlos1981carlos1981 Member Posts: 346
    I'm only a lvl46, only lvl17 players, but same here. Read the confessions post a few times, but no-one my level really there.

Tried placing my guys away from TG, stationary, still get attacked. No matter if Split, Grouped, Stationary, etc..

Kinda given up on the thought that people will offer TG, that's kinda 60\40 now

Trying to work out a mix setup now, so they can take TG, or fight if they are needy enough - I.E - Make it so that TG grab is easy, but if they want to come for a fight, my guys are capable of at least making it costly.
    AndreaMovado
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,541
    capibara said:

Awesome @Movado ;)

I stopped long time ago to give free path and free trade goods. Makes no sense. When i used to give them for free they always went for influence. Imo they consider that easy tg means easy outpost defense. So... Fight for trade goods. I also like to fight for tg but before i use to kill the whole setup. :)

But the logic here is basically saying that since there are some that chose to kill your defenders that now all have to kill your defenders. You have the right to set up your outpost the way you like as does everyone.

Since you have changed your defenders so that they block the crates do you find yourself being attacked less? Are your defenders killed less often? If the answer is yes it's probably because players like myself whom don't care about influence flee.

When someone opens the gate they use 1 survivor to open the door. That leaves them with 2 survivors to "attack" on that turn. I think whether or not you block the crate, someone who wants influence will use those 2 survivors to attack rather than 1 getting the TG's and 1 attacking.

I understand the theory of "earning" TG's but I really hate wasting gas and time to find a player blocked their crates. It's especially annoying when the TG shop is about to reset in 5 minutes and I have 3 gas left to get 300 TG's in order to buy whatever it is that I want to buy before the shop resets and don't get TG's because someone blocked their crate or used a map making it impossible to achieve it in one move.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    JackBauerAndreaMovadoJaden
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    @DLich when there is only 3 Gas left: Go additionally for influence and take a break afterwards until gas is filled up again and so your survivors healed. That's what I usually do.
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    Movado
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    edited March 2017
    Haha, yes. I'm out of lls, but I have plenty of low level gear. I'm bumping my head on platinum encrusted tier because of tg blockers. Time for free IP at the Grimstead soon.
    @Andrea it was indeed the misfortune of a memorable name from the series coupled with the transgressions of your youth that caused your poor defenders to die. Usually I don't bother, but you I remembered to personally kill when you came up. Now that is taken care of, the choice of vendetta is back to you. I have my weregild and am back to my peaceful ways. I think Irish whiskey goes well with Italian beer...
    AndreaMovadobigbeano