NG promotes hoarding even though they say they don't promote hoarding

Take a look at some of the aspects of the game that have occurred but are no longer available. (Dislaimer: If any of these have been resolved definitively, please let me know, as I am not always on the forums)

The first, for instance, was the birthday event of No Man's Land. The event was 15-call radio call discount for 10 radio phones. People were ecstatic about this deal. What a good deal! What a discount. People save up their phones, unaware if there will ever be an event like this again. If only we were unequivocally told that this was a one time thing that would never happen again. The deafening silence for NG promotes people hoarding phones just on the possibility that this will happen again.

Another example: Take the guaranteed legendary weapon for 12.5K Trade Goods that is the same level as the highest survivor in that class. All of the sudden, it's gone from the trade goods shop. Well, I do consider that the best bang for my buck. "Why don't a save up for that if it ever comes back?" I ponder. But what if this is just another situation where this is never coming back. And we just don't know. Why can't we be told unequivocally that this is never coming back?

One last example is spending tomatoes in the Trade Goods shop. For max players, you are FORCED to hoard, because you have no where to spend these goods. There WAS a way for players to spend these, I'd like to point out. It was implemented a few times in the past from what I recall. But gone now. The only thing I can imagine is that NG wants you to save these to upgrade/build new buildings for the impending update. But how are we supposed to know? Unless the unequivocally tell us that these are their intentions.

The bottom line is that when we are left in the dark waiting for an event that may never come back, and we do not know that these events are not coming back, we still hold on hope that these events are coming back, thus leading to hoarding. People will continue to hoard their phones. People will continue to hoard their trade goods. People are forced to hoard their tomatoes. The only way for this to be cleared up is if NG states plainly that these events either ARE or ARE NOT coming back.
SlayerTwdCzarnyJoPigbababooeymostlyharmlesslunaranvshield50

Comments

• 8N88N8 Member Posts: 164
    I should also point out an update that the weekend event is supplies for gear in the trade goods shop so I'm not too sure where that really leaves things. I'm not so sure why they would implement that, even though in the event announcement, they caution that a new council update is right around the corner... I suppose we shall wait and see if trade goods for gear is offered as well
  • HelioHelio Member Posts: 522
    @JayZ
    I don't think NG said they would never ever have another phone event... I thought they said it just wasn't planned for the next 6 months...
    David_H79lunaranTransmuteJun
  • DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,048
    @Helio

@Shteevie said that he would do everything in his power to make sure there was never another ICELS event.

He said there was a suggestion to do one for the anniversary event but he fought to not have it. I assume the 10 for 15 phone call event was a compromise.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    They refuse to do it out of nothing other than everyday stubbornness. It may have initially been their desire to discourage hoarding, but as explained in this thread it doesn't work. Even if you believe them that there will never be another ICELS, I figure sooner or later they'll run a good phone event of some kind. So I hoard for it.

The only thing that will stop me hoarding is a good phone event. So if they actually do want to discourage hoarding, they should run events that make me want to spend phones. It's pretty simple, and the refusal to do it has never been given anything like a logical reason. So I have to conclude it's motivated only by stubbornness.

I blew my phones when they said no more ICELS. What happened? They ran a 15-for-10 and I only had a handful of phones. I learned my lesson. You need to have a hoard on hand in case they run a useful phone event.

I also agree with the point above that their justifications for decisions are often contradictory. A nerf gets justified because it encourages more playing styles; the lack of good phone events is justified because it discourages a playing style.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    TransmuteJunSgtSalami8N8
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,168
    edited March 2017
    @Pig I completely agree with what you said. They said there would be no more ICELS, and I got burned too. I learned my lesson and now I hoard phones for another event. If it takes until NG's next birthday celebration, then I'll hoard phones until that time. I don't want to spend phones on 'regular' calls because I'll only feel badly later on when I realize I could have gotten a discount. NG fooled me once, so shame on them. But fool me twice... ain't gonna happen.

I hoard TG as well, but that's because I have had enough level 20 gear for a couple of months now. I knew level 21 would be coming someday, and so I've been saving for it. I have extra equipment in my gear storage, extra TG available, waiting for the guaranteed level 21 gear in the TG shop. And now I am justified for doing that as they have announced level 21 in the game.

The forced hoarding of supplies is annoying, but I have gotten used to it. I am just glad to be able to spend them again with the new update!

I agree that the only way for NG to prevent hoarding is to have good offers all the time. If they had a 15 calls for 10 phone event every month, then people would hoard for a month and then clear out their hoards. Done. Simple. But they refuse to do it. As you say, it is stubbornness on their part, which only makes me more stubborn on my part to hoard and wait for that day they finally give in.

I do think there's a pretty good chance the 12.5K crates will be back in the TG shop after the update. They took them out (I think) because they didn't want people buying level 20 gear when level 21 is about to be the new hotness.
    PigSgtSalami
  • paintbeastpaintbeast Member Posts: 1,188
    > @TransmuteJun said:
    > I do think there's a pretty good chance the 12.5K crates will be back in the TG shop after the update. They took them out (I think) because they didn't want people buying level 20 gear when level 21 is about to be the new hotness.

Though they have no problem continuing to sell weapons bundles for real money even though level 21s aren't available yet.
    Captainslayer8N8Maverick1969
    I don't hoard tgs mainly because I don't raid much any more. I lost interest. I play the challenge, and raid a little here and there with spare gas. When I hit my limit on challenge I either don't play at all or I run a few scavenge missions, with a raid here and there. And of course I play the episode missions.

Honestly, on a Monday night sometimes I play just the episode and let the rest of my gas go to waste. Anyway, I'm maxed on supplies and keep a bank of 1000 phones (doing a call when I hit 1015). My tg, however, are always low. I often don't have enough to buy any of the 4000 token deals, or any gear. And I just don't really care. I don't even have level 23 gear for all my dudes yet, so I'm not going to worry about hitting the ground running when level 24 is a possibility.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    @Pig
    Ok, so you're a specific hoarder. Your house isn't full of all sorts of junk, but you have columns of aluminum pie plates stacked to the ceiling creating maze-like corridors inside your home :p
    @DoTak I thought we were talking about the game here. Did you hack my webcam?
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    DoTakTJCartTransmuteJunggbats