Rufus???

2»

Comments

• Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    edited April 2017
    @GrimGael I like your post especially the part about feeding into stereotypes. When he first came out I said he was kind of offensive and Shteevie explained to me that dufus had AMC's blessing (well duh they were promoting it on Talking Dead) and a whole 20 hours of conference calls went into his design and that Shteevie used to live to live in South blah blah. I wish I had used the the phrase "feeding into the stereotype " instead of somewhat offensive.

I know some people love the charge point gained but I just can't deal with all the body shots in between. I also follow some of general Akbar's field tactics (Its a trap!) and I concentrate my firepower on the nearest star destroyer so I can get my charge points without his help and thus the trade off isn't worth it.

Ugh I just can't play with a green assault when I have several gold and pink assaults.

@Mais88 I don't know how to put it mathematically except : 3 charge points + decreased damage resistance + (increased health*3) < fewer body shots + increased damage resistance through dodge and iron skin
  • KillingLightKillingLight Member Posts: 118
    Rufus would be really useful for new players.
    I started playing the week Rosita was released as a hero and I managed to unlock her in the first week and she was useful as a Common.
    Rufus who is rare would be much more useful..

On higher levels however he is weak.
    Rare Abe and rare Rosita do more damage than Rufus.
    50 points of difference in my case with Rare Abe.
    So I almost never use Rufus.
    Jade333
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Well @Mabiki you prove my point, outgroups don't get to decide what's offensive to the group in question. People who aren't in them are rarely offended by stereotyping, so you are extremely typical in that regard. Almost stereotypical. Not sure I'd term that knowing better, feeds into that stereotype too much. Also, plenty of media time has been devoted to mocking hillbillies, including a popular 9-season sitcom.
    Several paragraphs about the show is a bit off topic, because Rufus had nothing to do with the show. In fact, that is almost the point, Rufus would never make it onto the show. He's comedy, and comedy in the vein of Pollack jokes.
    As I said, I am of divided mind. I remember sitting with my hillbilly grandparents watching that sitcom and laughing. Also, if Chris is indeed in the in-group as he claims, there's something to be said for his right to hold that stereotype up to ridicule and pull its fangs.
    But let's follow the Glenn analogy a bit farther out on the limb. Let's say Glenn's trait was called "Kung Pao Kitty" and its rationalization for extra supplies was him scavenging cats for the stewpot. Many know hillbillies eat squirrels, surely Hardwick does.
    Or we can take it out to the absurd for illustration. How about Isaac Goldberg, whose hero trait is called "Greedy Jewry" and doubles gold bars from boxes after missions. At what point do we move from "mildly amusing because I'm not part of the group" to "hey, wait a minute..."
    Shut_UpJaden
    Lol @Shut_Up who would ever care where Shteevie lived or what his rationalization is for anything. They did it, so no matter how poor the idea or its execution, it must be defended. It's a job.
    JadenShut_Up
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,066
    Was it Shteevie who said that a certain "g-word" (don't want to risk another warning for repeating something someone else used :p ) was offensive? I can't remember...
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    Lmao @GrimGael or should I start calling you Merle. Bulgogi dumpster or Bulgogi kitty would be more accurate because he's Korean and not Chinese lol.

I find the whole dufus thing just a big SMH moment for so many reasons but dufus will live on in infamy and every couple of weeks I can count on NG to add more to the story of dufus.
    GrimGael
  • Jade333Jade333 Member Posts: 93
    I'm not trying to get on the whole stereotype thing about Rufus and never mentioned as part of my intention with this thread. People get caught up in that useless nonsense when it's actually irrelevant.

Looks to me like the general consensus is if you're a newer player then Rufus is great and quite helpful. Those of us playing higher levels don't need him. What would be cool is if we could trash heroes from our survivor catalog.

My issue is that Chris Hardwick does a lot for AMC and they really should have constructed a better player for him on his behalf. Daryl was free also to start and even now that I am almost maxed out on the game, he is still one of my best players and Rufus is actually the worst player.

Those of you on the Rufus bandwagon that are low level players will eventually see what the rest of us are talking about once you reach the higher levels. If you want to get maximum amount of stars during challenges each week at higher levels you simply won't be able to do it with Rufus and can almost guarantee you guys won't be using him.
    edited April 2017
    Well you did title the thread Rufus??? and in your first post your last line was what is everyone's thoughts on Rufus but we can cut the humor and move back to the more serious side of dufus.
    Jade333GrimGael
    @Shut_Up
    I'm all about the humor, baby! Keep it comin! :)
    @Shut_Up
    You're right, I was curious on everyone's thoughts, and still am. Just making it about a stereotype or projecting racism type stuff into the mix just really wasn't my intention. Suppose I should have been more clear about that. Pointing out a stereotype about him was never in my mind so I suppose I didn't think to include it originally.
    Shut_Up
    edited April 2017
    Well then in that case what do you think about dufus and his ass scratching?

Too bad dufus couldn't take out tomatoes and make alcohol out of them and then give us extra fuel for the mission car!

If you want though we can stick more to his combat mechanics now that you kindly clarified you wanted to stick more to that and that's not an attempt to be a smart ass.
    Jade333
    @Shut_Up
    Oh man, that's a brilliant idea! Would be even better if the tomato alcohol was moonshine;-)
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    My problem with Dufus has nothing to do with racial stereotyping.
    He's just basically useless to established players, and i cant stand Hardwick.
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    Jade333
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    @GrimGael
    We're in agreement Rufus is a stereotype, and the fact his stereotype is considered more acceptable than others does raise some interesting questions. I hope it's clear I was trying to mildly address your very real point while also injecting some humor to the topic.

JadenJade333GrimGael
    Precisely Neil. I'm judging his skills and power in game; not what he looks like or his background.
    Which opinions am I disregarding? If I didn't acknowledge some, it wasn't my intention to ignore.
    Jaden
    edited April 2017
    @Jaden While I and some others did talk about how useless a green dufus is my intention by bringing that up wasn't to compare the strength of a green to a gold but rather that I find it hard to believe so many people are using him and that he is the second most popular hero. He may be that popular but it seems those numbers are skewed by his availability to new players because as an older player I find him useless compared to just about any of my older well seasoned assaults.
    JadenPig
    Ok. Aside from the social science thought provoking, then:
    Rufus-associated weapons are useless at best, detrimental at worst. Also not on the plate, but since the Rufus saga has so many tendrils, many of which put off players that have been around for a while, thought I'd put that out there. A textbook lesson about spending money here.
    I personally don't see Rufus tokens in regular play, or with any frequency in the tg store. 10 calls are another textbook lesson about spending money (for me) so, really, Rufus is moot. As Jaden points out, rare Rufus is irrelevant, unless you make him relevant with special treatment. Epic Rufus, maaaaaybe. Legendary Rufus, I'd explore.
    I think rare Rufus is a kick start for beginners. I also think it's disingenuous to quote the usage statistics, because when you see them in context, they say nothing about overall "popularity". As we saw from Hardwick's defense of Rufus on twitter, featured here on the shut down thread. He just went by what he was told and extrapolated an erroneous conclusion from it.
    JadenPig
    @Shut_Up
    I agree that the numbers are most probably skewed by his availability to new players. If everyone had all of the heroes at the same level and rarity then that comparison might be fair (fairer at least).

We just don't know how many new players compared to seasoned ones there are, either.

And even some of the seasoned ones may use him once in awhile (I know a did a few challenges ago when we had that one with the Freemen - he helped me beat one of the maps, can't remember the name - even as a green).

I'm by no means a highly competetive player. I am F2P and don't have the greatest gear for all of my survivors. That might be a reason why I use different tactics than maybe others do. (I also might just try a few combinations fun.)

Last challenge I used Tara to beat the map where Winslow spawned after closing one of the gates. Took me a long time until I had just been healed enough and still had my charge attacks ready but I made it. With better gear I would not even have tried that.

Anyway, I digress...

I just tried to point out that if we had Rufus as a legendary (or maybe even 6star or higher) he might be used more often because it's not that he is weak by design but because of his rarity.

@Jade333
    I might have gotten the wrong vibes here... but to me it seemed that you said that Rufus is useless in general, no matter his rarity, to higher level players. Which I think is not necessarily true. He might not be a tool for just every kind of situation and map (like Abe who gives more damage and health in general) but much like Sasha can be useful to gain charge points from bodyshots Rufus can be useful getting them on spawn.

My Sasha is still green, though, so I hardly use her at all because she is so weak (and her trait doesn't kick in often enough). Rufus at least guarantees a health bonus and extra charge points.

But if both were legendary they would get used more often... at least by me. ;)

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    SCBMA1Risjimmorrison369
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 2,023
    Jade333 said:

I'm not trying to get on the whole stereotype thing about Rufus and never mentioned as part of my intention with this thread. People get caught up in that useless nonsense when it's actually irrelevant.

Useless nonsense you say?
    Jade333
  • OvidmikelOvidmikel Member Posts: 965
    Rufus ROCKS yee haa with a rebel yell he cried more more more
    JackBauerGrimGaelSCBMAGovernator
    Hmm. Is Rufus helping anyone out on Quarry Crossroads? Lots of spawns there.
    Jade333
    I think he works better if you need charge attacks against single (or a few) targets.

And with assaults doing so many bodyshots - even if they are pink - I doubt that he will be of much use on higher difficulties (at least not if he isn't legendary himself - since mine is still green I can't check that, though... I might be wrong...).