How long do you keep lower level gear?

I've been thinking lately about when to give up on lower level gear. I tend to hang onto the 4 and 5 star gear for a few levels. At what point do you let it go? As soon as you move up to the next level? Wait until you're sure you have enough gear for the new level? I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.
Human3001

Comments

• JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,084
    Before I was an end game player, I typically replaced gear every ~2 levels. As people will probably tell you, it's not worth the XP to upgrade at every level, but it is good to have higher level items and extra traits from upgraded gear. I didn't worry so much about what level my gear was, but focused a lot more on traits. Even if my gear was outdated, I wouldn't replace (for example) an Hunter rifle with silver bore, gold piercing, and gold luck with a slightly higher level Hunter rifle with silver interrupt, gold silencer, and gold accurate.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    RedEye52psychwolf
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    I probably keep and use gear that's 1 level lower than current. I tend not to scrap unless I need space or the scrap XP so I end up holding on to old gear for awhile. Occasionally, I hold onto a weapon that has a trait I might want to use if I haven't found the same trait in a higher level weapon. Those items would be the last to be scrapped if I was doing a big purge.

I also used to hold onto upgraded lower level gear in case I had some new survivor that wasn't up to speed yet and wanted to take them out on a use 3 quest, but that's become mostly irrelevant so I don't bother saving gear for that purpose anymore.

Basically, if there's no reason to scrap something, I'll just hold onto it in case I get desperate for XP one day and buy a double XP booster. I can see that day fast approaching...
    RedEye52Maverick1969Pig
  • psychwolfpsychwolf Member Posts: 1,003
    Spring cleaning? We need more lemon pledge
    ekimhclewgespuer
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    Forever and ever, amen. Exchange rate is too poor to give up my sentimental murder toys.

SpringChickenRedEye52DoTak
  • RocketmanRocketman Member Posts: 227
    @GrimGael why can't we find the claw at a higher level anyway. It's way more badass that a plain ole knife lol

Fully upgraded gear I always keep for times I buy a xp booster. Also gear a couple levels lower but fully upgraded is better than higher level gear that's not upgraded at all. Wait till you have higher level gear upgraded before you dump the lower stuff.
    DoTakGrimGael
  • RedEye52RedEye52 Member Posts: 182
    @GrimGael I still have that one, too. Too badass to scrap.
    GrimGael
    Heck yeah. Guess how much mayhem I personally could wreck with an old .22. End item elitism! Bring back the screwdriver!
    RedEye52
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 2,935
    Shovel - definitely shovel!
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you!
    GrimGaelRedEye52
  • paintbeastpaintbeast Member Posts: 1,188
    Now that we have the Seaside community, why is no one killing walkers with a harpoon? I want a harpoon. That would be a great additional long range scout weapon.
    DoTakanniesprinklesRedEye52
    Woah, nope. Harpoons are for things you want to keep. With walkers, it would get stuck in one, yuck.
    DoTakJadenRedEye52
  • paintbeastpaintbeast Member Posts: 1,188
    @GrimGael You don't think that curved blade on the claw would get stuck in a skull? :p
    GrimGael
    Sure, an amateur would do it every time...
    Jaden
    Er, I mean maybe...
    paintbeast