AI skipping my turn

meathead013meathead013 Member Posts: 189
For the past couple of weeks I've had this intermittent problem where the AI occasionally just skips my turn. Usually it happens when I take a shot at the last remaining walker on the screen and if the countdown is ready to switch over to a new wave the new walkers don't run in and stop as usual but instead will run in and attack immediately.

For instance it just happened on the latest challenge board 5 of 6 I think it's called Big Boss something. I've played the board several times now and it hadn't done this before, but this time it made me lose a star. It's been happening on occasion with just about any board/mission

I know we had that one challenge or was it one of the Season missions, in any event I know those were intentionally set up to immediately have Walker's run in and start attacking if you open that crate the wrong way, but that's not what I'm talking about. This is happening in random places so I don't think it's working as intended.

Is this happening to anybody else?
kjmia421guoddim

Comments

• meathead013meathead013 Member Posts: 189
    BTW, on that Big Boss Man board there is no countdown timer but when you kill the last zombie in the first wave there's another wave that comes out. That second wave is supposed to stop after it comes out. I had to replay that board three times in a row so I know. But that one time the second wave came out and immediately started attacking, as if I had pressed the next turn button but I didn't. I don't think it's supposed to do that
    T_12
    And I've seen that same exact thing happen at random points over the last few weeks for some reason. just wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has seen this
    T_12
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,450
    @meathead013 for Big Boss if you kill the fatty during your turn and you have no AP left, the spawned walkers get a free turn to move/attack. If you kill the fatty during overwatch then they will spawn during the beginning of your next turn (no free turn).

As for the skipping turn, are you using the end turn button? There are times if you finish your turn (no AP left) that the button is still on screen if you click end turn it will skip your next turn since you clicked end turn. The easiest way to avoid this is to wait and make moves after each survivor combat/ move animation is finished. Don't rush your moves.
    1RisbigbeanosmannKick_ass
  • 1Ris1Ris Member Posts: 189
    In the Big Boss Man map the spawn will not appear until after you've killed the fatty, that is why there is no spawn timer.
    In higher lvls you may be facing two fatties; the spawn does not appear until after you've killed the last fatty.

If your survivors have no moves left once you kill the fatty, the spawn will appear and immediately attack your survivors. This is why I try to ensure 1-2 of my survivors have at least half a move remaining before dispensing the kill shot to the fatty.

I recall this map always functioning in this fashion so I'm not sure it's a bug.
    zbotbigbeanoKick_ass
  • kjmia421kjmia421 Member Posts: 57

For the past couple of weeks I've had this intermittent problem where the AI occasionally just skips my turn. Usually it happens when I take a shot at the last remaining walker on the screen and if the countdown is ready to switch over to a new wave the new walkers don't run in and stop as usual but instead will run in and attack immediately.

For instance it just happened on the latest challenge board 5 of 6 I think it's called Big Boss something. I've played the board several times now and it hadn't done this before, but this time it made me lose a star. It's been happening on occasion with just about any board/mission

I know we had that one challenge or was it one of the Season missions, in any event I know those were intentionally set up to immediately have Walker's run in and start attacking if you open that crate the wrong way, but that's not what I'm talking about. This is happening in random places so I don't think it's working as intended.

@meathead013 I have also noticed this happening at different points in time after the update on top of another issue I recently have come across that I just posted about -- neither of which I had experienced since playing the game until recently.
    Player Level: 53 ~ Guild: ourgroup - Rank: Leader
    zbot said:

@meathead013 for Big Boss if you kill the fatty during your turn and you have no AP left, the spawned walkers get a free turn to move/attack. If you kill the fatty during overwatch then they will spawn during the beginning of your next turn (no free turn).

Well there you go, that explains at least that one incident because it's quite likely it was the fatty that was the last on the screen period I probably didn't notice it before because I would kill a random zombie that wasn't the fatty as my last turn period even though I don't specifically remember the fatty being the last one I'm still willing to bet that's what it was

But it still doesn't explain the other cases. Unless this is a widespread kind of standard thing now that if the fatty is the last zombie it always allows an immediate attack afterwards, I don't know.

Can somebody confirm or do you know this? If the fatty is the last one you kill on a screen and you have no more action points does it always allow the next wave to come in and attack immediately? I don't think it does that on the regular missions but maybe it does that for the challenges or the story missions, I don't know. Is there any way to tell that's going to happen on a particular mission ahead of time?

kjmia421 said:

@meathead013 I have also noticed this happening at different points in time after the update on top of another issue I recently have come across that I just posted about -- neither of which I had experienced since playing the game until recently.
    Yes this has been my experience also. Now I'm wondering if every instance was when I killed a fatty under the circumstances described above. I will try to pay attention so that I can recall the exact situation when it happens again
    kjmia421
    I would really like to know the parameters of this because it kind of sucks to lose a star and or to have someone in the hospital for a long time because you didn't anticipate the zombies running in and kicking your ass like that
    T_12bigbeanokjmia421
  • Xcal1burXcal1bur Member Posts: 54
    In the Big Boss map the event that triggers the spawn is the death of the main fattie (the one that has that red halo thingy over his head).

Check this: try leaving at least one survivor with unused AP and kill the fattie. You'll then notice the spawn occurs and the new zombies don't immediately attack you.
  • PutchucoPutchuco Member Posts: 1,289
    The 'skipping a turn' unfortunately does happen on normal maps, I had it happen to me in Gate Crashing just this challenge. Ws spawn and gain an immediate turn, as if the logic from Big Boss map would kick in.
    I have seen this happening in other maps too, most notably 'Only way out'.
    Not consistently, but it does happen. Team mates have seen it too.
    Maybe @Shteevie can help us investigate.
    If you would like to join a drama-free and fun group of enthusiasts,
    contact us via email at [email protected]
    kjmia421
  • snafusnafu Member Posts: 226
    In Gate Crashing, if you open the gate with your last survivor the spawn will attack immediately. It is consistent.
    Putchuco said:

The 'skipping a turn' unfortunately does happen on normal maps, I had it happen to me in Gate Crashing just this challenge. Ws spawn and gain an immediate turn, as if the logic from Big Boss map would kick in.
    I have seen this happening in other maps too, most notably 'Only way out'.
    Not consistently, but it does happen. Team mates have seen it too.
    Maybe @Shteevie can help us investigate.

I have to admit this is my experience as well. Now the questions that remain are do all of these instances have an explanation like our last two examples. The next question would be is there any way to tell this ahead of time?

It does feel like it's been happening randomly but now I can't remember if all of the instances are what we would call special instances like our examples or if they were indeed an anomaly
    kjmia421
    Okay it definitely just happened again and it was in a scavenger mission so it appears pretty obvious that it's not just limited to these special fatty situations
    kjmia421
  • kjmia421kjmia421 Member Posts: 57

Okay it definitely just happened again and it was in a scavenger mission so it appears pretty obvious that it's not just limited to these special fatty situations

Yeah, I've also been paying attention to what's going on when it does happen and it's happened randomly, even on maps with no fatties (including scavenge like @meathead013 had happen) as well as some challenges along the map.

I agree with @Putchuco about @Shteevie possibly looking into this and seeing what's going on. It's not fun having survivors in the hospital due to this randomly happening out of nowhere on challenges that you otherwise would have beat without a scratch!
    Player Level: 53 ~ Guild: ourgroup - Rank: Leader
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    Walkers are not only spawned by the threat meter. If a player uses their last action of the turn to make an action that spawns walkers [such as moving the gate during the Gate Crashing mission], then those walkers will spawn as a response to the player's action, which is before the walker's turn starts. Therefore, they will act on the walker's turn as normal.

I would recommend that players not use their third action of the turn to interact with any red-flashing objects or specially-indicated walkers if they are afraid of being attacked before they have a chance to respond to the walkers spawning.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    Kick_ass