Should I upgrade my survivors.

Kick_assKick_ass Member Posts: 513
Concerned because I've been hearing people are getting less stars as they upgrade.
Maverick’s Core Leader and / OG Co-Leader
Other Leaders | Pic |
Tux77 |
KeepGen |

Stolen from Dlich

Comments

• Kick_assKick_ass Member Posts: 513
    Level 18, upgrade to 19?
    Other Leaders | Pic |
    Tux77 |
    KeepGen |

Stolen from Dlich
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    My understanding is that the problem is only with the upgrade from 20 to 21.

You might temporarily struggle to get the same number of stars as you continue to upgrade higher level equipment for higher level survivors, but that's normal.
    Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."
    Kick_assjimmorrison369
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,007
    Yes, you can upgrade up to level 20 without any sort of penalty.

To make the best of it, start your challenge with only one upgraded survivor and upgrade during the challenge. (You will start at the lower RSL and should be able to get more stars that way.)

But make sure you have good equipment for your team or else it will be harder.

Only level 21 is currently penalizing players...
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    Kick_assjimmorrison369David_H79
    Thank you both. @Jaden and @Pig
    Other Leaders | Pic |
    Tux77 |
    KeepGen |

Stolen from Dlich
  • sbfsbf Member Posts: 466
    edited May 2017
    @Kick_ass I agree with what's already been said. Just want to add (looking forward) that you may want to hold off upgrading some of your buildings when you are at lvl20 gear if you still want/need lvl20 gear. At player lvl60 you'll only get lvl21 gear from the legendary gear crate in the tg shop, and at 59, you'll get quite a bit of lvl21 gear.

I upgraded my crew before reading that lvl21 was less than ideal to upgrade--so if I knew I would have stayed at lvl20. But since I had already had better lvl21 gear than my lvl20 gear I am scoring higher scores in the challenges than I was at lvl20.
    jimmorrison369Kick_assThanosOfTitan
    @sbf. Thank you I'm going go up to 19. But just one survivor until the challenge starts.
    Other Leaders | Pic |
    Tux77 |
    KeepGen |

Stolen from Dlich
    Jaden
  • PigPig Member Posts: 1,870
    sbf said:

...since I had already had better lvl21 gear than my lvl20 gear I am scoring higher scores in the challenges than I was at lvl20.

I just want to clarify this due to the discussions about whether the level 21 issue is really lowering star counts. Your case sounds relevant to that discussion! If I understand you, you're scoring higher stars at 21 than at 20, but you believe that's because your gear is better.

By "better" gear do you mean better traits? If you had 20 gear that was as good as your 21 gear, do you think your star counts would have been higher at 20 than they now are at 21? Finally, roughly how much better are your star counts now?

In other words, I'm trying to get a sense of whether you feel hindered by upgrading to 21, but that the better gear is compensating for that hindrance. Does that make sense?

Bad Pig
    Bad to the bone!
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    "I'm stuck in forum prison, and time keeps draggin' on"
    "I’ve never said I’m a perfect pig, nor pretended to be someone that I’m not."