[Tip] How to maximize star gain!

jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270
edited December 2015 in Strategy Discussion
****UPDATE 12-18-15****
Same to the old data! =O
hdhieu said:

I didn't have chance to test all the stars, but I think the new formula should be

3X --- 3X + 2 (stars) = X+4 (recommended level)

So 24 ---- 26 (stars) = level 12 recommended
27 ---- 29 (stars) = level 13 recommended
30 ---- 32 (stars) = level 14 recommended
and so on .....................

Thus, to take advantage on this, you should take only 2 stars in the first mission, then 3 stars next and go on.

This is like the first formula of @jureforjustice

Conn said:

Yeah @jureforjustice your formula works up until: "level 10 survivors recommended". After that it's useless, made me lose 6 stars last week

Thanks to @hdhieu and @Conn for looking into the formula and finding new ranges.

****UPDATE 12-16-15****
New difficulties use this formula
[STARS COLLECTED] = [Survivor Requirement]
3X ± 1 = X+4
----Where X is an integer to help mark stars collected----
----If 0 (ZERO) stars were collected, difficulty is 3----

Hey! To maximize your star gain, it will cost you some gas, but the pay off is 2 additional stars! This implies that you can efficiently achieve 3 stars until you reach your maximum difficulty, where you are unable to collect any more stars. *Keep in mind, you can still slowly gain stars 1 at a time as well, but imo, it's best to just move onto the next challenge mission(s) with the gas you can use*

I did some testing, and it seems like the challenge missions hold a threshold of 3 stars. After 3 stars, the difficulty for that challenge will increase by 1 level!

For example:
Mission with 27 stars collected will recommend lvl 13 survivors
Mission with 29 stars collected will ALSO recommend lvl 13 survivors
Mission with 30 stars collected will recommend lvl 14 survivors
Mission with 32 stars collected will recommend lvl 14 survivors
Mission with 33 stars collected will recommend lvl 15 survivors
So on and so on...

With this in mind, if you know you can't beat lvl 14 walkers, you're able to gain up to 32 stars instead of sitting at 30 stars. That's if you are able to get a perfect 3 star when you're at 29 stars.

-----------------
Another great way to increase your star count is...
Helio said:

@jureforjustice Another tip to help with stars is to keep dropping the daily quest until you get one that says +1 star for challenges. For example I currently have "use all melee team" which I'm saving until the next challenge. And as I remember, you have to complete the quest on a challenge mission to get the extra stars.

Good luck, Stay human, survive!
PS: sry if I don't make sense, ask questions and I can try to clarify it better =P
zosonunduzzzzzTeherror

Comments

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Member Posts: 199
    Ok I've read your post 3x now, but I'm still lost. I'm not saying this is your fault, but I'm just not processing what you wrote. Can you write it so a simpleton like me can understand? :p
    dirtydozen
  • jureforjusticejureforjustice Member Posts: 270
    edited November 2015

Ok I've read your post 3x now, but I'm still lost. I'm not saying this is your fault, but I'm just not processing what you wrote. Can you write it so a simpleton like me can understand? :p

Lol! It's me, I'm not the best with Engrish =P

But what I'm trying to say is, "before the threshold difficulty is reached (via stars) you should stick to one lower than the amount of stars needed before it increases levels." The threshold difficulties are... 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33... etc. At those levels, the requirement for survivors increases by 1 level.

For me, I can one shot most walkers at 27-29 star challenge missions (survivor lvl 13 req) since my people are lvl 10s. But once it reaches the survivor lvl 14 requirement, 30-32 stars. I have trouble because my survivors will body shot more often than doing full damage or criticals. So, I tend to stick to 1 star below the threshold, so that I can still achieve getting my 3 star perfect.

If I try lvl 14 req, I can not even win it because I will be overwhelmed by the walker threats coming in, in other words, I clear slower than they spawn, or else I can't even reach exit without dying.

Does that make more sense? Someone help =P
    Lol ok thank you. I think I'm getting your point. So are you saying I should 2 star a mission at first before I start to 3 star them?
    Yes =D That's what I do lol! Since I know I can 3 star every mission, I just get 2 star in a mid lvl mission, and then from there on, continue with my 3 star streak.
    edited November 2015
    Yay I got it! Thank you for the tip. I'll start implementing your advice immediately. The hard part will be trying to fail on purpose, so I only earn 2 stars.
  • CeszarCeszar Member Posts: 91
    Nice tactic
    Leader of Watchmen
    #1 Brasil Ranking
    Sorry my poor english :|
    Be part of a Champions Guild: forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/925/top-7-watchmen-and-watchmen-2-is-recruiting-top-players#latest
  • zosonzoson Member Posts: 2,216
    edited November 2015
    FYI, you didn't factor in the fact that the 8 fuel requirement is extra wide.
    17 is 7 fuel, level 9.
    18 is 8 fuel level 10.
    21 is still 8 fuel level 11.

Having two extra stars already will allow you to skip the double 8's(17 -> 20 -> 23). So yes, get 2 stars on your very first time for all maps, and you save gas in the long run by paying 3 instead of 8 for your 'duplicate' mission.
    jureforjustice
    zoson said:

FYI, you didn't factor in the fact that the 8 fuel requirement is extra wide.
    17 is 7 fuel, level 9.
    18 is 8 fuel level 10.
    21 is still 8 fuel level 11.

Having two extra stars already will allow you to skip the double 8's(17 -> 20 -> 23). So yes, get 2 stars on your very first time for all maps, and you save gas in the long run by paying 3 instead of 8 for your 'duplicate' mission.

Hahahah! Yes! Totally true =D
    Thought I'd bring up that this is most likely no longer true after the hotfix that reduces gas cost of challenge missions.
    Owlkapwn
  • HelioHelio Member Posts: 522
    @ Zoson, why would it no longer be true? I believe the point was that every 3* the level would increase in difficulty. Reducing the gas shouldn't change that mechanic.

• WhiteRynoWhiteRyno Member Posts: 21
    is this strategy still working?
    I tried doing it..

Went to one mission (recommended lvl 3 using 3 gas)..got 2 stars..then waited. Looked at the same mission again but now it says (recommended lvl5 using 3 gas).

Did I do this right? or did they patch this strategy?
    edited November 2015
    @WhiteRyno , I've went ahead and did some star collecting. Will inform about if it changed or not next morning. =D Thanks for asking about it! It could be they did go and changed it to be difficulty increases PER RUN now instead of dependent on STARS collected =O

IMO it's better if it's PER RUN, since then we can definitely tell who's leading the charge instead of people abusing it like the strategy I've laid out.
    @jureforjustice so was I doing it right? lol..just wanted to make sure.

and thanks for looking into this :)
  • VerbaubVerbaub Member Posts: 650
    My pattern was 3/4/4/5 ...
    So the 3 pattern seems to have been changed
    WhiteRyno said:

@jureforjustice so was I doing it right? lol..just wanted to make sure.

and thanks for looking into this :)

Yes the way you did it is correct, but it seems like @Verbaub says, they've changed the pattern. I'll record mine after I've got more data. =D
    edited November 2015
    Ok, I've figured the new method out.

These are the difficulty
    3X ± 1 = X+4

This means, difficulty increases by 1 level at:
    14 -> 16 = 9
    11 -> 13 = 8
    8 -> 10 = 7

To take advantage of this, you'd want to stay at the high STARS (1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34, 37... etc), BEFORE the difficulty increases.
    I'm still a bit fuzzy on understanding the pattern..

Correct me if im wrong..so at zero stars..is the ideal pattern to collect stars?

0, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3,

or

0, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3,

I'm not seeing the best way to take advantage of this pattern...yet.
    When you're at zero stars, you want to collect equivalent to 4 stars. You can't get 4 stars in one run, so you're going to have to do a combination of 1, 1, 1, 1 or 1, 1, 2 or 2, 2 or 3, 1 etc until you've gotten 4 stars. Then after that, just always do 3 stars every time so you always get the highest star possible, for the lowered recommended level needed of survivors.

Your progression stars should look like this, if you're able to do 3 stars.
    All of this is for example, in CAGED IN mission.
    Start with 0 star, gain 2
    start with 2 star, gain 2
    start with 4 star, gain 3
    start with 7 star, gain 3
    start with 10 star, gain 3...

The reason why you want to be in these stars, is because the recommended survivors have not changed from 2 stars below. For example, going on mission with 10 star has a recommended survivor level of 7, and while going on a mission with 8 stars is also survivor lvl 7. However, when you get to 11 stars, you're going to increase the recommended lvl from 7 to 8.

This is important because, if you're able to kill walkers in recommended lvl 14 (29, 30, and 31 stars), but can not kill in recommended lvl 15. You want to do the mission at 31 stars so you can end your stars at 34 stars (if you can get 3 stars), instead of ending with 32 or 33 stars. Since 32, 33 and 34 stars recommended lvl 15 which you can not beat, that's 1 extra star you could've earned, and if you do it for all 6 missions, that's 6 possible stars you could've earned!

Did that make sense?
    Brilliant! Totally makes sense now..thanks for the clarification. I'll go and see how it work for myself.
  • VenomVenom Member Posts: 6
    Thanks @jureforjustice .

So basically get 2 stars in first and second mission, then 3 for every single run till the end. Correct?
    jureforjustice
    Venom said:

Thanks @jureforjustice .

So basically get 2 stars in first and second mission, then 3 for every single run till the end. Correct?

Yes! correct!
    It should be pointed out that you can earn the extra stars by 2 starring the missions at *any* time, not just the first. The difference is you'll pay more gas doing so.
    jureforjustice
    You could just have a survivor go into struggle mode, save them, then end to gain only 1 star, and then continue doing 3 stars as well.
    I know that at some point I'm going to make a stupid mistake and get only 2 stars, so I just play normally and just not get upset when the eventual 2 star result happens.
    jureforjustice
  • VerbaubVerbaub Member Posts: 650

I know that at some point I'm going to make a stupid mistake and get only 2 stars, so I just play normally and just not get upset when the eventual 2 star result happens.

This ... :D
    jureforjustice

YES! That's it! hahahah!!
  • hdhieuhdhieu Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2015
    does this formula still work? I had 32 stars and the recommendation level was 14.
    X=11, then stars from 32-34 = level 15 recommendation
    jureforjustice
    hdhieu said:

does this formula still work? I had 32 stars and the recommendation level was 14.

Yes, the recommendation changed to be
    3X ± 1 = X+4
  • hdhieuhdhieu Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2015

hdhieu said:

Yes, the recommendation changed to be
    3X ± 1 = X+4
    With your formula, I should have level 15 recommended when I had 32 stars, but it's only 14.

assume X = 11
    3X ± 1 = X+4
    33 ± 1 = 15
    32 - 34 = 15
This discussion has been closed.