Just let us kill walkers/freeman

@Teeceezy @Shteevie

Here's a thought for how to let people just play: a sandbox area.

The sandbox would:
1. Cost no fuel to do missions
2. No healing required
3. We could pick any map to fight on
4. We select the starting level of walkers
5. Very minimal if any rewards.

This would allow us to:
1) try different gear out on our survivors to get an optimum set
2) try different survivor classes and try to find effective ways to use them
3) fill those dead times when we just want to kill but can't because we have no gas

Should be a very minimal investment by NG to doing this as you already have all of the maps. The only real "new" items is the interface for selecting the map and the walker/freeman starting level.
zivaoliviaDavid_H79vshield50sligoempaintbeastJaden淡水地鼠CRUSHMrsScattercushionRedEye52TeeceezyGebobsWhisperer

Comments

• SmittySpivey3SmittySpivey3 Member Posts: 324
    You mean like a training screen?
  • Nomad4195Nomad4195 Member Posts: 27
    I would assume the server load would be the main issue with this. I assumed that's why you have the gas restriction to begin with, so you can't play continuously.
  • DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,048
    Nomad4195 said:

I would assume the server load would be the main issue with this. I assumed that's why you have the gas restriction to begin with, so you can't play continuously.

But what happens when there's the Jackpot event or increased phone event or double kill xp event or 5 sec gear upgrade event and everyone and their brother buys a gas boost to play continuously to take advantage of the event?

I have a hard time believing that something like what @Warlord is suggesting would tax the servers that much when those same servers have to be crushed during popular event weekends.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
    Guapo
  • GuapoGuapo Member Posts: 990
    edited May 2017
    I would bet that such a thing wastes any possibility for income, so why offer it? Maybe offer it for 25 gold for 5 minutes? Somebody would pay that. Gold just ain't what it used to be. I paid 50 gold bars for 25 gallons of gas. Inflation sucks! Friggin' pipeline.
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    Gebobs
  • Nomad4195Nomad4195 Member Posts: 27
    > @Dodkong said:
    > I would assume the server load would be the main issue with this. I assumed that's why you have the gas restriction to begin with, so you can't play continuously.
    >
    > But what happens when there's the Jackpot event or increased phone event or double kill xp event or 5 sec gear upgrade event and everyone and their brother buys a gas boost to play continuously to take advantage of the event?
    >
    > I have a hard time believing that something like what @Warlord is suggesting would tax the servers that much when those same servers have to be crushed during popular event weekends.

They make money which pays for the servers. Your idea is massive increase in server load with no increase in revenue to pay for the additional server capacity.

Just to be clear I like your idea and wish we had it, just stating why I think we don't and never will
  • WarlordWarlord Member Posts: 165
    @SmittySpivey3 Yes, but I used "sandbox" to avoid using training area as the camp already has a training grounds. Also, "sandbox" in the IT world is an area where whatever you do there is separated and won't affect anything else as in browsers sandbox pages to prevent malware or crashing other tabs. Give us a little one square sandbox icon (or repurpose the memorial building) we can put on our map, click on that, and off we go.

@guapo, @Nomad4195 Fully realize there is no "direct" possibility of income, but this was inspired by @Muzz's post on endgame boredom. How many people would it keep from quitting that were spending money that NG wouldn't now collect? How much revenue has been lost by players who quit as it didn't allow them to play as much as they wanted to because of gas limitations? You have to look at it from that perspective too. That's also why the proposal should have things that should involve very little investment by NG in labor costs.

Finally, this would also fill that desire for people to play the story mission maps all over again without the need for a lot of software changes to facilitate it.
    RedEye52
  • GuapoGuapo Member Posts: 990
    I'd be happy just to do story again. I can't figure out why not.
    In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us.
    Pig
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    I guarantee that would be a very low server load, no gas, no rewards. But there are no deadlies anymore, the whole game is your sandbox divorced from any real consequence.
  • TeeceezyTeeceezy Staff Posts: 3,577
    Cool idea, thanks for that @Warlord. :) I'll pass it on!