What this game really needs long term - completely new sources of revenue for NG

nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 242
In order for this game to thrive and grow, NG needs to be able to grow its revenue. There are only two ways for NG to do this: increase the user base, or increase the revenue per player. Obviously, NG tries to do both, but there is a limit to growth in the user base. There are just so many new players that are interested in playing this game, so growth from new players will level off at some point. Maintaining, or better yet, increasing revenue per player is very important to NG's future.

NG makes about 80% of its revenue from in-app purchases. Bundle sales are critically important to NG's revenue, so that's why equipment is presently limited in its upgrade potential. Increasing survivor levels are important to NG in order to get players to acquire new equipment. NG also is interested in keeping radios a valuable commodity. The reason for the recent reduction in the radio drop rate is an effort to increase the value of radios in this game. New traits and heroes are introduced periodically to give players reasons to want even more radios.

In the long run, however, these bundle sales are limited in their revenue potential for NG. NG cannot count on endless survivor level increases and the introduction of even more new heroes and traits to provide drive new sales forever. The grind for players is a turn-off, and eventually, players get tired of the hunt for slightly different stuff. IMHO, this game can't continue to thrive forever by just counting on the existing in-app purchase options only.

So this means that it order to grow this game long term, NG needs to find new and different in-app items for sale. Creating new bundles of existing equipment and commodities just won't cut it in perpetuity, IMHO. Here are some ideas:

1. Allow players to gift each other bundles. Wouldn't it be great to be able to reward particular helpful guildmates with a booster, gold, radios, or some new equipment? The current gold crate gifting mechanism is much too limiting.

2. Offer a subscription for one, and maybe only one, piece of equipment that allows it to be increased in level and fully upgraded at the player's discretion. Say I have a favorite rifle, I can elect to pay something reasonable (say $20 a year), that will guarantee that it can be leveled up instantly anytime I want. I can only do this for one piece of equipment to prevent abuse of this mechanism, and as soon as I elect not to pay the subscription the item is removed from my inventory permanently. This would eliminate some of the resentment of purchased weapons that go obsolete quickly, and reduce a small portion of the leveling grind too.

3. Provide a subscription bundle for a fee every month that provides something like this: 1 gas booster, 1 XP booster, 30 radios, 300 gold, and 5,000 trade goods. Consider it a regular monthly supply bundle.

4. Provide a monthly subscription that allows you to buy a guaranteed number of tokens (maybe ten percentage of the hero's unlock number, e.g. 50 for Carl) for one hero of your choice once a month. Perhaps this is allowed for one, and only one, hero to prevent balance issues.

5. Offer new boosters for sale, like a health booster, i.e. 50% healing time reduction for 24 hours.

6. Offer new, locked content (e.g. story missions), possibly with higher rewards, that is unlocked for an additional fee. With this, NG can justify spending additional dedicated resources to developing new content for this game. Perhaps offer a set of missions, with the first mission free of every set, so all users can get a taste of the new areas.

Selling subscription items are a good idea for NG. They provide monthly reoccurring revenue for NG, and they only have to be sold once per player. If I was in NG management, I'd be spending some of my development budget dollars in developing the necessary infrastructure for subscription in-app sales. They could get an amazing amount of leverage with this subscription sale capability in all NG games, IMHO.

This game cannot continue to grow at its previous growth rates by depending upon increases in player levels, and the additional of more heroes and traits, to drive in-app sales. Players don't like it, and NG can't count on it much longer, IMHO. There's a limit to tapping this revenue avenue. And we as players have to understand that NG needs to get at least some of its players to spend some money on in-app purchases. The more, the better, for the future of this game.

These are just a few of my ideas for adding new in-app purchase options. Do other players have any other creative, reasonable ideas for in-app items to purchase? Please be mindful that any ideas for items to buy need to add to NG's revenue, so they can't cannibalize existing NG in-app sales. What else would you would like seen sold that meets these criteria?
xbamfxSpacemanSpiffSmittySpivey3SpeedszeeblackJapes87RedEye52淡水地鼠

Comments

• MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    Some decent ideas in there @nadecir

I particularly like No. 3, the subscription bundle.
    xbamfx
  • xbamfxxbamfx Member Posts: 1,019
    I've been saying this for months. I play another mobile game on my phone that does this. Monthly subscription (optional) to all players for a fair price that rewards players who frequently compete every week. It allows you an option for a weekly reward exclusive only to subscribers, it allows better bundle pricing, it allows access to special events monthly as well. So many option to choose from and only costs 9.99 a month! Imagine 75% of player base enrolled into that category alone? You wouldn't even need bundles in game anymore lol but still could contribute from those sales also. We all know it's a business first and that's awesome, but create something affordable and worthwhile for all and you will make so much money $$$$. Just my thought, great read @nadecir bravo.
    gcheong85VudnikRedEye52
    @nadecir hospital booster like an I.V. Or morphine booster ahahaahahah that's a first I've seen on here also! Great ideas friend.
  • WarlordWarlord Member Posts: 163
    @nadecir great ideas. Hospital bundle is a good idea and better than the suggestion of first aid kit drops to reduce healing time that I've seen.

The only bundles I have ever bought were the ones that offered full supplies. The marksman one is still sitting in the trade shop but haven't touched it yet. The ONLY reason I bought that is because I did not want to grind and it saved me a huge amount of time and felt the $ for the time saved was a worthwhile investment. On top of that, my camp upgrades were permanent and they wouldn't become obsolete.

There are more out there that think that same way so bundles should address that too.

So, along that line, what if they offered a $1.99 full xp bundle? Considering the complaints about grinding, I'm sure there would be takers on that.

Also, offer the bundles in 4, 8 and 12 hour blocks instead of just 24. I'm sure there are some people who just ignore gas and xp for 24 hrs because they don't have the free time to dedicate to it but if there were smaller options, they might be more inclined. Quite a few games I've played have tons of different options in their stores for quantities and time to meet as many different customer needs as possible. The shop in this game is pretty bare bones.

Not sure why bundles still have survivor slots in them. I would suspect most people have quite a few empty slots now. Get rid of them and downgrade the bundle costs. Maybe have a customer appreciation day and allow us to sell the unused ones back for 300 gold each?
    xbamfxCarl_s_HatRedEye52Pic
  • mikpay2316mikpay2316 Member Posts: 110
    I love playing this game! I admit it's become extremely repetitive and redundant (see what I did there lol), but overall the comrade within the guilds has kept me around. I am not f2p, however I don't make a lot of money. It's all I can do to UG and occasionally buy a weapon bundle. I get paid on Fridays and I'm often broke by Monday. Point is, there's been multiple occasions where a bundle is released on a Monday and by the time I can afford it, it's gone.
    OG Mike 420 - MAVERICKS FAMILY 4 LIFE!
    xbamfx
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    edited June 2017
    Oh, I still want more slots, though I have all that gold can buy and then some. It is really strange that they won't give me more rope to hang myself with...
    xbamfxJadenRedEye52
  • R2runfastR2runfast Member Posts: 332
    Bruh, you're askin alot. These guys havent even thought up an idea for a new building for goin on 2 years. Lol
    xbamfxCaptainslayerRedEye52
  • Carl_s_HatCarl_s_Hat Member Posts: 176
    Warlord said:

So, along that line, what if they offered a $1.99 full xp bundle? Considering the complaints about grinding, I'm sure there would be takers on that.

Also, offer the bundles in 4, 8 and 12 hour blocks instead of just 24. I'm sure there are some people who just ignore gas and xp for 24 hrs because they don't have the free time to dedicate to it but if there were smaller options, they might be more inclined.

Great idea. I rarely buy the full gas/double XP offers because I get lost doing something on my computer for hours sometimes, so I do not often buy them. 12 hours or 8 hours I would buy more often.
    Warlord said:

Not sure why bundles still have survivor slots in them. I would suspect most people have quite a few empty slots now. Get rid of them and downgrade the bundle costs. Maybe have a customer appreciation day and allow us to sell the unused ones back for 300 gold each?

Agree. I have 26 out of 37 slots filled. This weekend I pretty much used three of them during the entire challenge run. I also unlocked Carol and used her on a few scavege runs. I rotate my three assaults and will use Glenn to ghet some maters. But that is about it. I would like to resale my empty slots.

• zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,489
    As for the gas bundle, it's the minimum price for the bundle, I'm pretty sure there's no price lower than that so while it's a good idea, I don't think it's economically feasible. Similar to McD offering $1 for all size drinks, you can get as much or as little as you want.
    gcheong85biter370Vudnik
  • SpacemanSpiffSpacemanSpiff Member Posts: 634
    I preface first by saying the thread is nicely articulated. But.... (yea, don't you hate it when there's a "But" with the dot-dot-dot's? lol)

Here's how the standard freemium models work; revenue is never contributed evenly by the players. Nope nope. Games bank on the WHALES; something akin to 2% of the players are responsible for contributing like 70% of the revenue. specific percentages vary game to game but that's the concept. True, for sure, it's all pretty much the same in type of games. So, as long as the 2% affluent continue to spend then the game wheels are greased and keep on turnin' no matter how many F2P peeps stop watching ads and stuff and games only need to hold onto the 2%. Newbies come & go and some them later spend too. I used to be 2%. But no longer, not active player anymore. But there are other 2%ers out there lurking in the shadows and those whales dive deep in the waters so hard to catch them because all the drama and condemnation is above sea level on land and they don't want to be harpooned, lol. Your mission if you choose to accept it is to harpoon the whales. Ok, not sure where this analogy is leading to anymore and now Im just rambling. But the first part of my post is legit. :D but no matter what if you still play this game then try to have fun and enjoy it for what it is, a nice little mobile tablet game.
    CaptainslayerTheLostOnesRedEye52
    @SpacemanSpiff although I can't disagree with your argument as I think you hit the nail on the head, I still don't understand the logic in that when you could target 70-75% of your customer base if not more? 75% spending $20-50 a month is way more valuable then 2% I would think. I don't know am I completely clueless in my assumption? I for one know with the right package deal people will gladly spend that kind of money monthly. Hell most people play console gaming too and spend $60 on a single game so I'd imagine it's not farfetch to assume NML fan base would support the game with a valuable subscription(optional) that rewards those members somehow.
    The reason I suggest it is I've seen it done in numerous other games and work with huge success. Like I said most people I know love this game either way and want to support NG efforts in making the game better continually. It just seems to me that the value of the customer is not at the forefront. I'm sorry when you charge 19.99 for a bundle I can use for 3 weeks that just flat out robbery. The other games I play monthly subscription is $10 mobile and $15 a month on console and is by far way more rewarding then anything NML has offered.
    gcheong85R2runfast
  • SpeedsSpeeds Member Posts: 64
    @nadecir Good, viable proposal!
    Indeed most current business are doing their best to provide services based on recurrent fees as this provides a stable, predictable income while it also allows the company to concentrate on other issues than focusing on creating good value bundles for individual purchases.

NG, this ideea is really worth considering.
    xbamfxRedEye52
  • SmittySpivey3SmittySpivey3 Member Posts: 324
    @nadecir a thoroughly thoughtful post. I like all of those ideas. The gifting is guilt driven on us by each other on holidays for examplechallenges we all break down and gift our guildmates.
    I think still there is something to ego and being at the top. Example, Killing off 120 stars or whatever for starting at level 15 instad of 14 in challenges was a reductive decision. It broke the competitive edge the spenders felt they earned.
    In the competitive spirit, many have asked for a weekly guild vs guild challenge. Sadly this could be as simple as pinning a thread and driving specific feedback on this topic. So far the idea has not been realized in the game.
    xbamfx
  • VudnikVudnik Member Posts: 307
    I've carefully read all these posts. There are some awesome thoughts here! If NG were a company actually looking to make big bucks instead of toting the line that most other online apps do, pushing the envelope open, they could do it easily by offering their "intabgible" items for much less. You price something at $1 million you may get one purchaser. Price it at $10 and now you have a million buying it. Do the math!

@nadecir , while I think this thread is right up the alley and speaks to NG's numerous failings, perhaps we are giving them too may good ideas here! They are supposed to have their own marketing crew. Lets not do their job for them!

If they can't see their problems they are blind. If they do see them and keep going they way they are, persistently ignoring the negative feedback in this forum with a "zzz...", they will all be looking for jobs soon.

Tomorrow's update may make or brake them. I've screen capped all my stuff since their track record for successful updates is none too trustworthy. I'd suggest everybody do the same :)
    xbamfxRedEye52R2runfast
  • zeeblackzeeblack Member Posts: 1,059
    I think the solution is new game content, a bigger and badder PvP tournaments and market for trading among players.

I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY tWo with hUnDrEd ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, tWo MiLlIoN star guild
  • nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 242
    Thanks for all the comments here. Unfortunately, I believe until NG finds completely new sources of revenue in this game I think the players are facing a continuing problem of NG trying to drive the scarcity of the valuable commodities (radios, tokens, equipment, etc), in order to increase those commodities' values. The result of this inflation is that some players will spend even more to acquire those commodities.

Hopefully, this thread will give NG some new ideas, so this inflationary sale of commodities is not the only way NG envisions as the way to increase revenue from this game.
    RedEye52Invaderxbamfx
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,394
    xbamfx said:

@SpacemanSpiff although I can't disagree with your argument as I think you hit the nail on the head, I still don't understand the logic in that when you could target 70-75% of your customer base if not more? 75% spending $20-50 a month is way more valuable then 2% I would think. I don't know am I completely clueless in my assumption? I for one know with the right package deal people will gladly spend that kind of money monthly. Hell most people play console gaming too and spend $60 on a single game so I'd imagine it's not farfetch to assume NML fan base would support the game with a valuable subscription(optional) that rewards those members somehow.

You are vastly underestimating what @SpacemanSpiff and the other 'whale' type players spend on the game. Not sure that @SpacemanSpiff wants to get into specifics (I can remember seeing him post SSs of all of his survivors fully equipped and upgraded less than an hour after past updates have dropped) but we're talking people who are spending upwards of thousands of dollars a month.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

RedEye52R2runfastxbamfxgcheong85
  • GrimGaelGrimGael Member Posts: 1,410
    When we have a player base that stops rewarding bad behavior, we'll stop seeing bad behavior. It's hard, because probably most, although they like the game, don't analyze and number crunch or visit the forums and see the results of those that do. So things go unnoticed, or get passed off as rng, or they go play online poker for a while, or whatever. We saw a glimpse of just how much was tinkered with last update, because it was released before NG had their pants all buttoned up. This one, not quite so bad, but we see obvious bugs in categories not even remotely touched in the release notes. Transparency appears to be the enemy here, and that's probably good for business.
    InvaderCaptainslayerWarlord
  • WarlordWarlord Member Posts: 163
    @GrimGael Looking through the reviews, there is a whole subset of players that just play this game to play their favorite character on the show and don't care about the quality of the product either, just as long as they can be Daryl or whoever, they are content.
    GrimGael
    @Bill_ZRT oh I'm sure the top percentage spend a lot of money on this game and that's their choice I'm not going to knock that but in reality even if they spend big it's still would pale in comparison to 500k, 1mil or even more spending a decent amount to be a VIP member or whatever nick name they can think of lol.