Update 2.7 New Challenge Mechanic Pre-Release Thread

Comments

• TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2017
    @JayZ I can appreciate that you are better off by skipping challenge rounds, but I'm betting you have some pretty hefty pinkies. I have to start strategizing at same RSL to RSL+1. This does NOT give me '5-15 rounds' of recon if I'm starting at RSL 20. Sure, I can go further in the challenge... *if* I could go further in the challenge. I have to stop at RSL +3 or +4 (depending on the challenge) because the hospital time and frustration just aren't worth going further. Skipping the early levels of the challenge does not mean that I will play further in the challenge. It means I will be playing the challenge less. That means that I have to play scavenges (or be bored) more. The extra gas I 'save' may very well be wasted/useless, because I generally don't play scavenges once I am maxed out on food (as I currently am) and have little else to upgrade with my XP (and I'm almost there).

My point is simply that while this may seem fabulous to you, there are many players who will be disappointed at being forced to skip the early levels of the challenge. All I'm asking is that it be made optional. This takes nothing away from you, or other 'reach for the stars' players with 3, 4, 5+ star pinkies. It only leaves the current system available to those of us who enjoy it that way. I'm glad that you are looking forward to this. I'm only saying that not everyone sees it the way you do.

Now I'll acknowledge that I haven't played The Distance yet, so perhaps that will fill the extra time and gas I will suddenly have on my hands, but given how it's being described (as incredibly challenging for end-game players) I'm guessing that I won't be able to finish that either. So it may end up that I could be playing the game LESS than I am now. I just figured that NG might like to know that missing those lower levels will actually have that effect on some players.

ETA Seems Bill_ZRT posted at the same time I was typing up my post. Yes, that's probably what I will end up doing, Bill. Seems a bit of a bandaid solution, but I agree, it's the best approach. But no, it's not entirely trivial. I like to run scenarios on the low level challenges that might involve running into the midst of a group of walkers or into the way of freemen... and multiple hits from those, even at level 20, it going to result in hospital time.
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    @Firekid
    Since the minimum level of gear in mission crates is RSL-1, I think it's best to repeat RSL+1

So for example, if your workshop can upgrade base level 20 gear, and that's what you're looking for, then playing RSL 21 is the ticket. Playing RSL 20 could give out level 19 gear

bigbeanoDLichBBRi
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    edited August 2017
    @Shteevie do you have server control for the 5 rounds per one round pass calculation or would a change require an update ? (EG 4 rounds per one pass round)
    I am looking forward to start even higher RSL 22/23 to reach the dead zone much faster to spend my gold on healing there (hint hint).
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
  • ScowleyScowley Member Posts: 377
    Just popped on and saw the video, skimmed some comments and now I'm seeing stars!

Guess I'll wait till it arrives as my brains spinning. Gotta tip your hat to the developers for keeping things interesting.
    Elder of guild 'Aloha Snackbar'
    Troublemakerkjmia421
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,452
    Great discussion but let's keep things civil.

All view points are welcomed on the forum.
    JackBauer
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 5,785
    Despite to @DLich awesome chart i'm still more confused. Considering that i will maybe not lose any star until 27.3 ...what will be my stars count after the update if i'm a lvl 21 player? And how many stars if i'm a 22 player??
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    JackBauerbigbeanoVladoII
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    @DLich can you please add in your xls sheet a third coloumn for the poor guys that have 3xlvl22 like @JackBauer @vshield50 and @tallinie ? o:)
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    bigbeanovshield50
  • capibaracapibara Member Posts: 5,785
    edited August 2017
    I don't agree @Bill_ZRT now i've got it...

17 more stars if i'm lvl 21 or 20 more stars if i'm lvl 22... So when upgrading survs to 22 i will end 27.3 with 5 more stars :#
    "Always be yourself unless you can be a capybara. Then always be a capybara".
    --> Do you need a guild? ...send me a Private Message. My Recruiting den and my "Art Objects" in the Next Games Collection.
    JackBauerbigbeano
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,171

@JayZ I can appreciate that you are better off by skipping challenge rounds, but I'm betting you have some pretty hefty pinkies. I have to start strategizing at same RSL to RSL+1. This does NOT give me '5-15 rounds' of recon if I'm starting at RSL 20. Sure, I can go further in the challenge... *if* I could go further in the challenge. I have to stop at RSL +3 or +4 (depending on the challenge) because the hospital time and frustration just aren't worth going further. Skipping the early levels of the challenge does not mean that I will play further in the challenge. It means I will be playing the challenge less. That means that I have to play scavenges (or be bored) more. The extra gas I 'save' may very well be wasted/useless, because I generally don't play scavenges once I am maxed out on food (as I currently am) and have little else to upgrade with my XP (and I'm almost there).

My point is simply that while this may seem fabulous to you, there are many players who will be disappointed at being forced to skip the early levels of the challenge. All I'm asking is that it be made optional. This takes nothing away from you, or other 'reach for the stars' players with 3, 4, 5+ star pinkies. It only leaves the current system available to those of us who enjoy it that way. I'm glad that you are looking forward to this. I'm only saying that not everyone sees it the way you do.

Now I'll acknowledge that I haven't played The Distance yet, so perhaps that will fill the extra time and gas I will suddenly have on my hands, but given how it's being described (as incredibly challenging for end-game players) I'm guessing that I won't be able to finish that either. So it may end up that I could be playing the game LESS than I am now. I just figured that NG might like to know that missing those lower levels will actually have that effect on some players.

ETA Seems Bill_ZRT posted at the same time I was typing up my post. Yes, that's probably what I will end up doing, Bill. Seems a bit of a bandaid solution, but I agree, it's the best approach. But no, it's not entirely trivial. I like to run scenarios on the low level challenges that might involve running into the midst of a group of walkers or into the way of freemen... and multiple hits from those, even at level 20, it going to result in hospital time.

@TransmuteJun I only have one 2-pink star survivor in each class and one 1-pink star survivor in each class, so I don't think my team is too hefty. Certainly not compared to some of the folks on these boards. Even still, my team can make it through RSL26 without losing a star, so I assume that most people with level 22 survivors should be able to get through RSL23-24 without a problem. I know you've mentioned that you're a FTP player, and I generally am as well (1 gas booster a month, at most), so I don't think our teams and gear should be too different.

Regardless, I respect your different viewpoint and hope I didn't come across as too critical of you. As I mentioned in my original post, I do think that you have a valid point w.r.t. the new system.

My ire was primarily directed at the folks who are arguing that you are missing out on significant rewards by passing up the low RSL levels and who have not yet acknowledged that they are wrong. This is patently untrue, and I don't want people dreading this awesome improvement because they've been misled by someone who is not considering the opportunity cost of the saved gas.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,007
    JayZ said:

@TransmuteJun I only have one 2-pink star survivor in each class and one 1-pink star survivor in each class, so I don't think my team is too hefty. Certainly not compared to some of the folks on these boards. Even still, my team can make it through RSL26 without losing a star, so I assume that most people with level 22 survivors should be able to get through RSL23-24 without a problem. I know you've mentioned that you're a FTP player, and I generally am as well (1 gas booster a month, at most), so I don't think our teams and gear should be too different.

Regardless, I respect your different viewpoint and hope I didn't come across as too critical of you. As I mentioned in my original post, I do think that you have a valid point w.r.t. the new system.

My ire was primarily directed at the folks who are arguing that you are missing out on significant rewards by passing up the low RSL levels and who have not yet acknowledged that they are wrong. This is patently untrue, and I don't want people dreading this awesome improvement because they've been misled by someone who is not considering the opportunity cost of the saved gas.

@JayZ No offense at all. I respect your opinion. I can get through RSL 24, but 25 can cause some problems (especially with maps like Archives, or ones with Freemen). It's not worth the multiple replays and hospital time I would have moving beyond that. I am glad that you can agree to disagree on the issue. I'm just asking if NG will accommodated both of our sets of preferences. ;)
    DLichJayZBill_ZRTkjmia421
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    My thinking is if there was a way to turn off the ability to skip levels it would have to be presented in the beginning of the challenge prior to earning any stars.

Almost like an "are you sure you want to not skip rounds" type screen. If you selected yes and choose not to skip rounds you forfeit all skips earned the previous week. Otherwise it leaves it to selection of turning it on and off when you like.

The player doesn't get the ability to choose which rounds they skip it's only the first few rounds of skips earned.

Maybe adding that optional screen wouldn't be too bad. Just a thought anyway.

This way those who really want to play lower RSL's can.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    TroublemakerTransmuteJunKaLikjmia421
  • tomducat21tomducat21 Member Posts: 308
    Sorry but my english is so bad !!!
    If we start first challenge in rsl 15 and win round pass we start next challenge so next week in rsl 15 + round pass win , ok but for challenge 2 next week we restart in rsl 15 or other ?
  • cylonnumbersixcylonnumbersix Member Posts: 94
    Sounds good to me, quick question though. Let's say you skip round 15 and 16 do you loss those stars or get them automatically?
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,171

Sounds good to me, quick question though. Let's say you skip round 15 and 16 do you loss those stars or get them automatically?

Get them automatically (with some bonus stars to boot), from my understanding!
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    cylonnumbersix
  • autumn_ashautumn_ash Member Posts: 325
    rfg1982 said:

I'm amazed by this and can't say enough thanks. The grinding was killing my life.

and my battery life >:)
    TWD ⭐️ FearTWD ⭐️ Ride with Norman Reedus
    Carl_s_HatR2runfast
  • mimicamimica Member Posts: 324
    I think that complain for lost some crates is don't see the big picture of why they do this (something that so many people asked before) introducing the badges thing and the distance will affect the time that we use to play challenge for everybody. With more strongers survivor you can go further and your guild can earn more rewards (phones) if you tell me that from level 15-20 you find 10 or 15 phone you're lying, you want xp use the gas saved for play the distance and scavenge for components like someone said strategy is a valid point but really I know players of all types casual, middle and big dogs and I guarantee you that nobody lose star from 15 to 22 and they only added 2 new challenge every end player or near to it know every challenge every strategy

To close this long post I'm 100% sure that if NG don't do this move the complainers would be here saying that they not have time to play the distance and search components for badges because they have to reach his minimum and not let down his guild mates.
    KarajocaDavid_H79mik81
  • jrodrf2jrodrf2 Member Posts: 242
    @DLich I was trying to make it sound like I wasn't complaining, because I'm really not. I think this is a great idea. I didn't consider the increased scavenging due to saved gas, so I guess my only issue is the decreased possibility of radios. Correct me if I'm wrong but the challenge rounds have better potential for radios in post mission crates. My basis for this line of thinking is that the odds of supplies/XP/equipment are higher in post-scavenging crates, so the odds of radios is lower than the challenge rounds. So I figure that is taking away a better chance at radios. That's why I think the round skipping should be optional. TBH, I'd probably skip rounds anyway, but I'd like it to be a choice.
  • General_PainGeneral_Pain Content Creator Posts: 2,461
    edited August 2017
    @Teeceezy @Fearofabotplanet Question: Do the skipped rounds count towards the cool down?

@cylonnumbersix If you skip RSL 15,16 then rsl 17,18 will have double rewards.

So at rsl 17 you have 36 stars + 34=70

And RSL 18 you have 36+36=72

So for both rsl17,18 you get 142 stars
  • zeeblackzeeblack Member Posts: 1,053
    Standing ovation for @DLich for the detailed table.

@Poppy you are correct about the experience, supplies, equipment, etc we would be missing for the skipped levels. I think the players would be compensated to a greater extent by double rewards, less gas usage (10 rounds for 240 gas vs 5 rounds for 120 gas) and more stars (5 rounds for 175 vs 5 rounds for 384). Further, its up to you to use the pass or not. I don't think its mandatory

I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY tWo with hUnDrEd ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, tWo MiLlIoN star guild
    DLich

I know I'm in the minority here, but this makes me nervous. I LIKE starting at level 15, I LIKE having some easy levels to try out different strategies, explore the maps and work out how I want to do things when I get to the higher levels. I LIKE being able to use Maggie or The Governor to increase rewards in the early levels. I can't use them later on because they're not good enough to go once I get to RSL 24.

It would really be wonderful if there was an option to skip round passes, so that those of us who WANT to play the early levels could do so. Please?

Using the passes is not mandatory. The players have the option of playing through all the rounds or skipping some by using the passes. So the players can use Maggie or Governor for getting maximum benefit
    I am Black, Zee Black, Level SeVeNtY tWo with hUnDrEd ThOuSaNd sTaRs, Elder, SG Woot, tWo MiLlIoN star guild
    @Putchuco from what I gathered from Terminates video, its not mandatory. Perhaps lets @Fearofabotplanet @Teeceezy @Shteevie explain it.
  • FearofabotplanetFearofabotplanet Staff Posts: 539
    The round pass happens automatically when you begin the challenge.
    David_H79General_PainTroublemakerWeekOne
  • David_H79David_H79 Moderator Posts: 1,866
    I would use them anyway.
    Normally I boost my gas the first few days with gold to reach the max amount of stars.
    Due to real life issues I don't often buy gas boosters.
    So if I can skip 5 or more challenge rounds, I have saved all this gold and can use it for other purposes.
    MadiDLichWeekOne
  • TheRealSavageTheRealSavage Member Posts: 64
    Since you have to pass 5 rounds to earn 1 pass, only the top level players will be able to earn 5-7 round passes. Newer/ lower level players will probably only get through 20 rounds or so therefore they will skip less low level rounds the following challenge. I think this new change is well balanced for the new players and the veterans. For the ones that enjoy the low level rounds I highly doubt they will skip that many rounds.
This discussion has been closed.