Play without real money?

Does anyone here actually play the game without spending any real money?
I see screenshots where people have so many million supplies etc and wondering how this is achieved!
I've been playing for a while on and off but still only have level 11 survivors and I think level 11 council.
It seems to take forever playing different missions to make enough supplies to upgrade buildings etc, or am I doing something wrong?
For eg, at the moment I need 575,000 supplies I think to upgrade my training camp (to upgrade my survivors further) which seems unattainable without paying for stuff!
Is that where I'm going wrong?

Comments

• Shut_UpShut_Up Member Posts: 2,295
    There are lots of people maxed who have done it with little or no money. Getting up to level 22 survivors isn't the big trick the big trick is finding usable gear and that is one big area that money helps. Getting pink stars for your survivors and heroes is another place where money helps. The game has been out for 2 years now how many months have you been playing.
    banzai
  • enCryptenCrypt Member Posts: 29
    Thanks, I've been playing for about 6 months, but don't get much time to play.
    I also tend to wait for a while for my supplies to build up and / or when I've damaged all my survivors in missions and I have nobody left to play with!
    I dont even know what pink stars are I'm afraid, can you explain?
  • Nick37Nick37 Member Posts: 478
    I am now at survivor L17 and been playing for 3 months but the only thing I spend real money on is 24 hour gas once a week at the beginning of the challenge.
  • xxarea83xxxxarea83xx Member Posts: 221
    I've been playing for about 1.5 years; started just before the 2nd half of season 6 and I've only spent money on the initial "Fresh Survivor Bundle," which was $4. As of now, my 30 survivors (including heroes) are at levels 21 and 20 and slowly upgrading. My Council is maxed and I started building the newest tent, currently upgrading to level 8 of 11. It's really dependent on how often you play and on which missions you concentrate.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

IGN: xxarea83xx
    Guild: Anti Walkers
    Player Level: 68
  • CarlyCarly Member Posts: 2,832
    I have not spent any real money. I have never purchased a single booster, bundle, gear, or anything.

Been playing since 2016. It may take me longer to upgrade, but i feel okay to wait and not rush. I do okay playing with gear that's free but a free level 23 pitchfork or long range spear would be nice (hint hint)

I hve a few elites at 7 star. Just takes time. And as long as I'm having fun, I'll stay this course
    Leader of Badger Hounds
    Having candy for breakfast!
    100% FTP
    MyYouTubeChannel
    PigJadenbigbeanobanzai
  • CRUSHCRUSH Member Posts: 583
    edited October 2017
    I'm 100% f2p and maxed out. Sorry, no longer yet. The grind started again and again and again.
    CarlyJaden
  • SleeperyJeemSleeperyJeem Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2017
    You can absolutely enjoy the game without spending. I’m at player level 46, and other than a few purchases totalling about $20 (which I consider filling the tip jar for a good game), I’m totally free to play. It’s not like there’s any rush to get to max level. And I’m not sure you should be buying any bundles at much below max since they obsolete so quick.

Also, the outpost is a good way to get supplies via trade goods without spending. I pick up a ton of stuff that way.
    edited October 2017
    Thanks all,
    So, are there any secrets to making loads of supplies without having to play pretty much all day every day!?
    At the moment I seem to get more XP than I need (but then have to wait hours for weapons / armour to upgrade), hardly any supplies and next to no gold...
    I have had a tip on 'farming' walkers in supply missions using Glenn as leader on another thread which I don't do, so that might help.
    I seem to have been stuck on level 11 survivors for ages now because of the catch 22 situations where I need to upgrade the council, before upgrading the training camp etc.
    Apart from that I guess I either need to play more / play differently / be more patient...
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    Been playing for close to 12 months, I've been at max level for a month or so (until 2.8) never spent a cent.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    banzai
    Oh, and what are pink stars please?
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    Once a legendary survivor has all traits upgraded to max, you can promote, getting a pink star
    Each time you promote after, you'll get another pink star until max of 5 pink stars (lvl10 survivor)
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    David_H79
  • xxarea83xxxxarea83xx Member Posts: 221
    As far as pink star (elite) survivors are concerned, wait until you have at least 3 survivors all with solid traits ready for promotion to elite status. The RSL for most missions (except challenges, if i remember correctly) will all jump up a level once the first one is promoted, or at least that's what I'm told. I have found only 2 survivors worth promoting myself.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

IGN: xxarea83xx
    Guild: Anti Walkers
    Player Level: 68
    TJS
    Ok thanks.
    The pink stars are a loooooonnnnngggg way away for me yet then!
    banzai
  • SleeperyJeemSleeperyJeem Member Posts: 113
    I generally wait for a weekend perk like unlimited gas or double resources to make any level jumps. There will always be one eventually.
  • dungeonmaster201dungeonmaster201 Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2017
    I haven’t spent a dime on this game, my council is level 19, survivors level 16 except Eugene.. you just have to login regularly at least 2 times a day to collect your supplies and concentrate on your farms 1st. That’s 36000 tomatoes every 8 or 12 hours per farm Total 216,000 per full collection. when either 1 level to max or at max. As for survivors I’m personally only missing 3. Aron, jerry & michone.
  • Phalanx44Phalanx44 Member Posts: 281
    100% f2p. Not 1 cent ever spent. Prior to 2.8 I was a maxed out player, 30+ survivors, most heroes, and several 7 start elites. It can be done without money, but as others have eluded to, money makes it faster. It took me 2 yrs to get to where i am, (I play multiple times a day, everyday) so dont beat yourself up for not being 'end game' in 6 months.
    docfinzenburgbanzai
  • General_QuatreGeneral_Quatre Member Posts: 990
    I'm almost exactly the same as @Phalanx44! I would imagine most players are either noobs, mid-game, or F2P end-gamers like us. Those of you who spend are the 1%, the "whales" as they are called, and I think NG responds to this forum quite a lot given how small (yet vocal) a minority it is.

That's why I hope they return gold-crate in scavenge drop rates back to what they had been...I notice a HUGE change in mentality when I play on a gas booster (used my free update gift today), and people are right -- when on a booster, it's not as big a deal if a gold crate nets gear, since you'll make it back quickly and there IS a chance for gold gear. But when on limited gas, when hunting for XP or Supplies, you REALLY need those silver/gold crates to give you what you want!

@Shteevie Can we expect this to be adjusted? Please and thank you.
  • docfinzenburgdocfinzenburg Member Posts: 543
    @Phalanx44 exactly what i could have written about myself :D
    Thanks for all your replies, especially @BttlOpener, that Wordpress site looks like a goldmine!
    I really wish I'd given more priority to building up my tomato farms at the beginning, I didn't realise it would get to such amounts needed now to upgrade anything...
    I have 13 survivors at the moment I think (mostly heroes as well, not sure if that's a good tactic or not), with one free slot available but I've been putting off filling it as I'll need more resources to get the new people up to scratch.
    I have noticed some of the heroes are pretty crap sometimes (Dwight, Rufus) so maybe its not a good tactic!
    As stated I don't get time to play much so I'll stop beating myself up and keep plugging away at getting the farms as high as I can get em...
    I'll have a good read through the site I mentioned above, but any other tips would be greatly appreciated...
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,067
    Don't dismiss Dwight and Rufus so quickly. At green most heroes are meh (and some would be meh for me even as elites) but Dwight is really useful against special walkers like Winslow and against humans.

Rufus is highly underrated. He gives extra health which is always nice to have and he gives free charge points on every spawn. Very useful for maps with a high spawn frequency.

You know who's crappy? Rick. He's great in the show and lame in the game... Sadly...

BTW also a f2p player - I have spent a little but less than 20€.
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
    tabernacaquila
  • JerryDixonJerryDixon Member Posts: 387
    There also is a forum thread discussing Glenn, Maggie and the Gov. You can read and decide for yourself but you need to be using one of them at all times (or at least as much as you can depending on what star level they are.) And you already said it but the farms need to be kept at max level as a priority. I never even upgraded any gear until I got to one level below max. That's much harder to do now since the max level has moved up significantly (in terms of how many supplies are required to get there) over the last two years but that's also an option. There also was some great advice that used to be posted more often and that is to enjoy the game at regular speed for as long as you can. Once you get to end game you may find yourself here in the forum whining and complaining about this or that :-)
    Jerry Dixon
    JSS