Bloated app data

I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
I've seen this complained about before, and while it doesn't bother me, it does create issues for other users, who have less storage to make use of and/or aren't aware of how to limit it a bit.

In particular, the adverts we all see time after time, once downloaded, are stored in a directory that cannot be manipulated by the user unless they have rooted or jailbroken their device. I say this knowing that game data can be deleted, but want to qualify the main difference. By deleting game data in settings menu, you delete all app data, with no control.

As can be seen the second screenshot only shows a small selection of mp4 files (I intentionally kept scrollbar in view when taking screenshot).

Surely it would be possible for NG to implement some kind of clean up to maintain this directory so that outdated or no longer used ads are purged. I understand the logic of saving data usage downloading ads multiple times, but a lot of these will be historic.

That is an enormous amount of bloat. And I know it is defintely an issue for some users.

@Shteevie
@Fearofabotplanet
@Teeceezy
Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
sligoempaintbeastjimmorrison369ADPaqDLichtabernacNezoSlowMoPigTJSJadenCarl_s_HatTatdJdmEL34xyzGuapoblack_nineskjmia421clausLeneautumn_ashbsgper41LostWarrior

Comments

• autumn_ashautumn_ash Member Posts: 325
    edited October 2017
    I've never had this issue on my Android, I guess. I don't have an "adc3" folder not on internal storage nor on the SD card, the only cache I can spot is a couple of (or few) video files in some another folder in ...twd/files directory, which I can delete, and there's not a thousands of cached files.
    But this has got me thinking, what if these ads are caching somewhere else on my system, bloating it somehow... I call myself an advanced user and I do know my system and do cleaning and all, but still. Free space is shrinking inevitably as the time passes.
    TWD ⭐️ FearTWD ⭐️ Ride with Norman Reedus
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    @autumn_ash - That's exactly what I am highlighting here. The files are stored in a location that can't be accessed by default. However, as you can see, they are indeed lurking there.

TJS
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    At the rate the game needs more and more space on each update we'll soon only have enough space solely for this game.
    I've had to delete other apps, photos etc just to make enough room for the updates.
    It's insane how much memory this game needs!
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    Fragziejester1LostWarrior
  • autumn_ashautumn_ash Member Posts: 325

@autumn_ash - That's exactly what I am highlighting here. The files are stored in a location that can't be accessed by default. However, as you can see, they are indeed lurking there.

What do you mean exactly by "cannot be accessed by default"?
    Do you mean it's hidden? To the best of my knowledge, users can see android hidden files even if their system isn't rooted. For me, it just takes making an option switch in the explorer.
    How else the access can be restricted, or the files hidden? It's really not some deep android core stuff, it is in the app folder, and it can be accessed, at least it seems to me.
    Also, the size of twdnml on my system isn't growing with time, as shown in the settings--app info. It is relatively constant, ~ 450 mb total.
    So I have my doubts here.

I have another question though - it's obvs exist in your system. So when you're deleting the app, do these files stays in the system? If you're not deleting the app, but choosing "clear app data" on the app screen, does it still there after that?
    TWD ⭐️ FearTWD ⭐️ Ride with Norman Reedus
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    @autumn_ash You cannot view files & folders under root unless you rooted your Android phone. For example cannot see the game apk file installed on your phone.
    edited October 2017
    Since posting this thread, the app data on my device has dropped from 1.02GB to just over 76MB. Strange it should occur suddenly after I've posted this. However, I'm aware of other users who so have this bloat from historic adverts. In fact even worse than in my case.

@autumn_ash - File Explorer apps might let you see the root directories, but you won't be able to modify the files without having root access. I made the distinction between clear app data and manipulating the files directly. The first deletes ALL app data, the other method gives you more control about what you do (with very great care).

I generally only delete all app data, assuming a very last resort, if something is corrupted, and an app is failing in some way ;)

• Nick37Nick37 Member Posts: 458
    Just looked at my iPad memory settings and the app is using well over 1GB of memory and comes 2nd after my photos which I have thousands of, and well over 30 other apps.
    “Aloha Snackbar” Guild No Mans Land.
    “Sheffield UK (SUK)” Group Our World.
    I left this a few days and there was no staff response. I'm monitoring this and getting feedback from various players who have anything from less than 200MB to greater than 1.5GB. Surely it shouldn't be left to individual users to manage files associated with the game ...

@Teeceezy said it's as easy as tagging him again until he responds :p

@Fearofabotplanet