Question about upgrading equipment

I have a couple of days before I can start training my first L18 assault survivor but wanted to get a jump start on upgrading my L18 assault weapon. My question is does the base level of the gear determine if it can be equipped to a L18 or do I need to wait until it is equipped on a L18 before upgrading. I think I am okay to proceed but wanted to make sure before starting it.
Part of the MAVERICKS Guild Family
TJS

Comments

• TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    edited November 2017
    You can upgrade your equipment ready for when you have trained a survivor to use it.

IMO it's best to upgrade your workshop, upgrade your next lvl equipment while upgrading training grounds. Therefore you have equipment ready.

As your survivors reach lvl22 you might be better off doing training grounds and survivors first.

Edit: To put it simply, yes.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    Kratos
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,713
    Equipping gear to a survivor is based on the base (un-upgraded) level of the gear. So, if you upgrade your Assault weapon to level 21, you can still equip the level 21 (originally level 18) item to your level 18 Assault.

I think that's what you were asking?
    Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
    Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
    TJS
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 372
    Thanks @TJS Thought I was good but decided to ask first just in case.
    TJS
    @JayZ
    I guess everyone is different.
    In early lvls upgrading your survivors first increases rsl for scavenge & challenges so I always found it better to use the time while upgrading training grounds to upgrade some equipment ready.
    Nevertheless, I respect your opinion and definitely don't pretend to know it all.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    JayZ
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,713
    TJS said:

In early lvls upgrading your survivors first increases rsl for scavenge & challenges so I always found it better to use the time while upgrading training grounds to upgrade some equipment ready.

Good point! It has been so long since the early or middle levels that I forgot about level increases. Even still, I think my recommendation stays the same. On challenges, you might be lower rewards for a challenge or two, but you will be able to get farther (because of decreased body shots) and advance your camp faster if you upgrade your survivors. On scavenger missions, you always have the option to choose between normal and hard, so you can always opt for normal if upgrading your camp makes the hard scavenge missions too difficult!
    Proud member of Mavericks OG, a top 3 global GW and challenge guild.
    Message me on the forums or on Line (ID: jayztwdnml) if you're interested in joining the Mavericks family of guilds.

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSePrANMyf_S_YKJyfJodg
    Strategy compendium: https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/41787/jayzs-nml-strategy-compendium
    paintbeastTJSMystique
    @JayZ
    I see your point. I think we've both forgotten every aspect of early and mid range levels.

In any case, not to derail @Kratos 's thread, I think we both agree the answer to his question is "Yes"
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    JayZ
    edited November 2017
    @Kratos

Equipment (eg; lvl18) can be upgraded before you have a lvl18 survivor.

I believe that's the question your asking.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 372
    I have always trained survivors first based on what @JayZ says above. This time I have a lull in upgrading equipment so wanted to make sure that my L18 (upgraded to L21) will still be able to be used when I get my assault to L18.
    The base lvl of your equipment can be used on any survivor with the same lvl or above.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
  • The_JerThe_Jer Member Posts: 293
    Also, below the level it has text to let you know the minimum level survivor who can use it

• ThanosOfTitanThanosOfTitan Member Posts: 296
    I used To upgrade gear ready for the next level but recently I only upgrade legendary gear with the right traits which is hard to find, I found that upgrading my survivors to the next level and letting them have the weapons that I upgrad3d at the level below meant I still earn more stars per challenge,as @JayZ said it’s better for body shots so most of my guys are level 21 and have got great level 20gear only 5 have great level 21 gear, I am now nearly ready to go up to l 22 were I already have some nice pieces of gear,
    Member of the Super Green and amazon Family Leader of Amazon’s