Some perspective about the skipped round passes

I've seen a lot of players go berserk over the round pass bug (on the forums and in Guild Slack chats), and I wanted to bring some perspective to the table about the actual impact of having 1-2 fewer round passes.

Let's assume you are a player that typically gets to RSL28, thereby earning 7 round passes (if there was no bug). Next challenge, if you start with 7 round passes and get through RSL28 with 3 stars on each map, then you will have 880 stars.

Because of the bug, you might be short 2 round passes. If you start with 5 round passes and get through RSL28 with 3 stars on each map, then you will have 868 stars.

Losing 2 round passes is only a 12 star difference. Not getting double TG rewards for 2 rounds will cause you to miss out on 2000 TG at most (and likely much less), which can be earned in 4 outpost raids. The biggest impact on your next challenge will be spending 48 extra gas on two rounds.

NG has done pretty good by players over the last few weeks, from the 1 gas Distance missions, to the new Hero gold calls, to the extended double weekend event for Thanksgiving, so let's be reasonable and reserve judgment until we see what NG offers us next Tuesday before we continue to rant.

From NG's perspective, I understand how it can be difficult to give out "make-up" round passes. It likely requires some non-trivial coding efforts, which is a waste of their time given that it will likely only be a one-time fix. Let's not waste NG's time with complaints that can be easily fixable with a gas and TG gift to the players who were affected. If we really want NG to code new and productive things, why not ask them about things that will improve the game in the long-term? Things like:
- Figure out why the Governor's leader trait doesn't seem to work correctly with items?
- Review the mechanics of the Revenge trait so that it works correctly with freemen?
- Finish the story missions so we can finally figure out what happened to that damn baby?
- Make Overwatch and Retaliate compatible in the same turn? (the fact that this still doesn't work totally blows my mind)
Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
autumn_ashJackBauerWellyLugaTroublemakerDavid_H79suzequeueMystiqueConan1976DLichEdd8MonsutaDBonespaintbeastbigbeanoTJSMrsScattercushionMadPuppyCronusJadenScowleysbf8N8ekimhclewEastman

Comments

• EL34xyzEL34xyz Member Posts: 1,872
    I ended up getting the same number of round passes, even though I lost one
    No big deal to me

David_H79bigbeano
  • Midlo88Midlo88 Member Posts: 15
    Your math is off slightly. It would be an additional 18 stars per level (for just beating each challenge) plus the doubling of the round total round level amount (eg level 20 would pay out 40 stars instead of 20). So losing 2 round passes you’d be looking at missing out on at least 76 stars. Which in this new format can be a lot for most players.
    TeenahGeeGForceBarcodeJ
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,171
    edited November 2017
    Midlo88 said:

Your math is off slightly. It would be an additional 18 stars per level (for just beating each challenge) plus the doubling of the round total round level amount (eg level 20 would pay out 40 stars instead of 20). So losing 2 round passes you’d be looking at missing out on at least 76 stars. Which in this new format can be a lot for most players.

No. I think your math (or at least your understanding of round completion mechanics) is slightly off.

If you don't have the extra round pass, then you play more rounds. You then earn stars from completing those extra rounds that you ordinarily would have skipped.

The only stars you lose out on are the 2-3 round completion stars that get doubled.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    David_H79DLichpaintbeastekimhclew
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    Midlo88 said:

You still play the round. The round doesn't "disappear".

If you earn 1 skip and skip round 17 you'd then earn double on round 18. 18*2 = 36. 6*3*2 = 36. This means you would earn 72 stars on round 18 had you skipped round 17.

Now lets suppose you don't earn a skip (or you lose the skip because of this glitch)

You earn 6*3 = 18 for completing the 6 maps. 17 stars for completing the round. That's 35 stars for RSL 17
    You earn 6*3 = 18 for completing the 6 maps. 18 stars for completing the round. That's 36 stars for RSL 18.

If you skip RSL 17 and get double rewards on RSL 18 you earn 72 stars
    If you dont skip RSL and play it and you get single rewards on both 17 and 18 you earn 71 stars.

This is a difference of 1 star.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    David_H79WellyLugaekimhclewBarcodeJ
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 1,084
    HOLY COW!!! I just found out they have a Guild too!
    1LostWarriordeb1hd
  • D_BD_B Member Posts: 2
    Jayz - You don't get it. People spend money on a game that they love. When an error by the game's developer results in a perception of unfairness then its not good for the game.
    TroublemakerOrion_Guardian
  • RoadRashRoadRash Member Posts: 178
    I can appreciate different perspectives and everybody is entitled to their own.

From my perspective I expect to be able to play this game on day of challenge without oops our bad messed up cant give you the round passes missed, have a nice day "keep save hunter".. That was essentially the message folks received, Its not the first time there was a mess up on challenge day that personally impacted me. It's not the loss of stars that has me upset its the loss of confidence that on challenge day that my results will be counted correctly.

Namaste.
    pirate1125rustynailOrion_Guardian
  • Orion_GuardianOrion_Guardian Member Posts: 7
    I wouldn't have noticed the bug if I hadn't gotten the message. The difference in Stars and rewards will be minimal and we got an apology and will get something to make up for it.

Mistakes happen, and how it was handled was good customer service.

No company anywhere can guarantee perfect rollouts the only difference is how they handle the inevitable mistake. And to be fair, I have seen far worse.

And considering the "minor" bug that affected everyone (which means no 'unfair' advantage at all) AND the fact that there is no PvP component involved (nobody lost something on the expense of someone else) I would have expected far less from any F2P mobile game.
    1RisTeeceezyRoadRashLightfeet
  • pirate1125pirate1125 Member Posts: 319
    10 phones is hardly the same as the lost round pass
    BBRi
  • DrunkenDrunken Member Posts: 1,081
    That is based on 10 round pass vs 9 round pass while the gas aspect blows the additional stars are so min that will it make that dramatic of a difference???
  • Orion_GuardianOrion_Guardian Member Posts: 7

No actually it is more....the last round pass you lost is about....24 Gas and 12 stars,

Yes 24 gas might have been "nicer" but 10 Radios is fine as compensation, espoecially as they are not obligated for compensation anyway *shrug*
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168

Yes 24 gas might have been "nicer" but 10 Radios is fine as compensation, espoecially as they are not obligated for compensation anyway *shrug*

Everyone including those doesn't affected by the round pass bug also received 10 phones too, it's not a compensation for those affected, it's a free gift for everyone.

There is NO higher rarity when we use all legendary to craft the badge, we are being punished for having a chance to get LOWER rarity.
    This is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED & it's UNFAIR.
  • abailey362abailey362 Member Posts: 304
    There is no way for them to fix the 1...maybe 2 for a few...round passes that are missing without tons of coding. If they had given everyone an extra round pass, then ppl would complain that the ones that didn't lose a pass were given an unfair advantage.

The only way to do it "fairly" so that ppl won't complain about everyone getting something, even though they weren't affected (see above and other posts this morning) would be to write new code to go in and look at rounds completed, then replace the number earned vs what it should be at 1 pass per 3 levels. The effort would be much better spent improving something else, vs something this minuscule.

I'm sure support could manually go into each account and add a round pass if needed, but the man hours to do so would make it impossible.

It happened...they gave us 10 phones, dbl scrap xp, and reduced distance reset as an "I'm sorry" gift...time to move on.
    abailey362 - TheHerdReturned - part of #THR Family

Dodkong1RisLightfeet

No actually it is more....the last round pass you lost is about....24 Gas and 12 stars,

Look at my pic it isn't even 24 stars. It is 6 stars for a beast who gets 10 passes typically
  • RoadRashRoadRash Member Posts: 178
    Basically if you play the challenge on Wednesday at the start your have a chance to have mistakes happen but its ok because everybody will get a compensation for it. Seems Fair.

Drunken said:
    Check out this thread.

Your spreadsheet is a smaller version of mine. There are slightly extra stars earned on round skips when comparing 9 to 10 (6 to be exact) if you finish at the same RSL.

0 to 1 is 1
    1 to 2 is 3
    2 to 3 is 5
    3 to 4 is 4
    4 to 5 is 4
    5 to 6 is 3
    6 to 7 is 4
    7 to 8 is 6
    8 to 9 is 5
    9 to 10 is 6
    10 to 11 is 8
    11 to 12 is 7
    12 to 13 is 8

The difference between 0 skips and 10 skips is the sum of all the numbers. 1+3+5+4+4+3+4+6+5+6= 41.

A person playing with 0 skips getting to past 50 rounds will play to 32.3... A perfect score of 2144
    --- This person will use 50 rounds of gas
    A person playing with 10 skips getting to past 50 rounds will play to 32.3... A perfect score of 2185
    --- This person will use 40 rounds of gas (saving 10 rounds of gas)

The stars between each are minimal

Most players aren't making it past round 50.

But in essence, with round skips you are saving a round of gas and earning slightly, minimally more stars.

BarcodeJ
  • ignasignas Member Posts: 312
    Accepted the fact of 10 radios but also disappointed as the RP should be easily just adjusted directly it database.
    RoadRash
    @DLich
    The gas I can totally understand. But how many of you big dogs that get that amount of passes buy gas anyways? Is the gas difference that big of a deal that it is going to swing this challenge that much more for you? Are you not going to be able to finish the same this time around?

While I get the frustration 10 radios is equal to around same price as gas and a great time to get them with hero week.

Now the debate of is this a gift or a thank you is a good debate. :)
    I can play 30 rounds in this mode (RSL 14 to RSL 27.1). I usually attain 6 skips so I'm playing 24 rounds and saving gas on 6.

In the "Ultimate Challenge" starting on RSL 17 and double rounds 19-29 making it to the same RSL (27.1) is only 19 rounds of which 6 I'll skip (so actually 13 played rounds).

Someone who earns 0 skips in the "actual" challenge plays 30 rounds of gas
    Someone who earns 6 skips in the "actual" challenge plays 24 rounds of gas
    Someone who earns 0 skips in the "ultimate" challenge plays 19 rounds of gas
    Someone who earns 6 skips in the "ultimate" challenge plays 13 rounds of gas

Someone who earns 0 skips in the "actual" challenge compared to someone who earns 6 skips in the "ultimate" challenge winds up saving 17 rounds of gas (only having to play 13 rounds).

Gas accumulates at a rate of 1 per 10 minutes, 6 per hour, 144 per day.

I know the gas costs increase around RSL 23 or something, but 4 gas per map, 6 maps per round, 30 rounds is 720 gas. 720 gas / 144 gas a day (max) = 5 days which is the exact amount of time the challenge lasts... 5 days.

So in theory, If I was a free player, and without counting on buying gas for $2 or 8 gas for 400 TG's or any crates in gas, I would have enough to hit my wall (27.1) using every last drop of gas the game replenishes.

30 rounds of gas with 0 passes in the "actual" challenge compared to 13 rounds of gas with 6 passes in the "ultimate" challenge is a yuge savings!!!

4 x 6 x 13 = 312 gas used instead of 720. More than 1/2

The "ultimate" challenge honestly lets players play to their potential WITHOUT THE NEED OF BUYING A GAS BOOSTER and that's why so many players love it!

zivaolivia
    Still don't understand the outrage. This upcoming challenge is the old format and therefore you would have to buy gas anyways right??? Or simply use gas every single second it becomes available. So the 24 gas cans for 1 round isn't actually impacting this upcoming challenge.

If that is the case why the outrage? It is only making a major impact to the few stars lost. I get that the game shouldn't have small blimps like this but from a players POV we rarely seen the behind the scenes actions. Additionally as a gamer for Xbox1 I play Bungee games and they always have issues without rewarding us or even fixing the issue till months later. They are a lot larger than this company.
    @Drunken regarding the ops perspective this thread is regarding the differences between losing a round of gas. It’s true that 1 rp is the equivalent of 24 gas.

I think you and I are talking about 2 different things. I think I’m talking about comparing 1 round pass lost in the “ultimate” challenge to that comparison of the “regular” challenge.

6 stars is minimal. 24 gas is minimal too although annoying.

I want ultimate challenge to become permanent. I will play 24 rounds this week because I played 13 last week (19 total) and defeated 27.1

This week, as normal, 27.1 is round 30. So I’ll play 24 after I skip 6. I’ll plsy almost double the amount of rounds and use more then double the amount of gas as I did last week simply because rounds start at 14 and I’ll skip and start at 19.2 where last week my 6 RP’s started me at 21.1

@DLich

We are discussing two different things. You are arguing for the Ult To become perm, as where I took the post as complaining which is in the other thread as well.

I get why so many are made, but honestly the 10 radios is probably equal to the 1.99 gas cost. Big difference is the 10 radios comes at a great time. Then there was an additional 10 guild issued radios and IDK if that was for everyone or those with lost round passes?

So I was defending their gift as to where I think you are arguing to keep the ULT Challenge
    DLich
  • BarcodeJBarcodeJ Member Posts: 401
    Math iz hard.
    The charts confuse me to be honest. I don't get them. But taking the original post's supposition that you would have gotten 7 round passes and now have 5, and with the knowledge that we are back to the regular challenge during this next week as I believe his numbers were based on the Ultimate challenge format continuing.

An individual with 5 round passes will skip rounds for RSLs 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18. This sets his beginning point at 19.1 with double rewards for 19.1, 19.2. 19.3, 20.1 and 20.2.

An individual with 7 round passes will skip 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.1, and 19.2 thus earning double rewards on 19.3, 20.1, 20.2, 20.3, 21.1, 21.2 and 21.3.

Knowing that after 21.3 both individuals will be earning the same quantity of stars we only have to do the math for both up to that point to determine the difference between the two individuals.

5 round passes:
    This individual begins at level 19.1 and earns double stars for 5 rounds.
    19.1 = 74
    19.2 = 74
    19.3 = 74
    20.1 = 76
    20.2 = 76
    At this point this individual stops earning double stars but to compare with 7 round pass guy we have to determine his total through level 21.3 so we keep going.
    20.3 = 38
    21.1 = 39
    21.2 = 39
    21.3 = 39

So 5 round pass individual has earned 529 stars by the time he finishes round 21.3 assuming a perfect run to this point. He has utilized 216 gas.

7 round passes
    This individual begins at RSL 19.3
    19.3 = 74
    20.1 = 76
    20.2 = 76
    20.3 = 76
    21.1 = 78
    21.2 = 78
    21.3 = 78

So with 7 round passes this individual has earned 536 stars after completing round 21.3 again assuming perfect runs. They utilized 168 gas. From this point on the two individuals will earn stars at the same rate.

The difference in stars is 7 fewer stars for the person who missed out on two raid passes and he has to utilize 48 more fuel to achieve the same level. This is 8 hours worth of fuel.
    Hope that simplifies things for anyone who was confused about the quantity of lost stars. Who knew games would require so much math lol
    DLich