[THEORY] Why the Governor's trait doesn't work consistently for item drops & a request for your help

Based on some conversations with @Bill_ZRT, we've developed a theory on why the Governor's trait doesn't seem to work consistently for items. It seems as though his trait works and can upgrade the base level of an item (at least some of the time) in RSL22 and below missions. However, we have yet to see his trait work at RSL23 or above.

That's obviously a big issue because that's where end-gamers are looking for max level epic and legendary gear.

Forums, we need your help on this. As you start to get to RSL23+ challenge missions, can you keep an eye out to see if Governor's trait is triggered for item drops at RSL23+? If no one sees "Rewards improved" items at RSL23+, then it's very likely that this explains why his leader trait doesn't always seem to work for items.
Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
WeekOnesbfSCBMAKaLiromeoWhoareyouDLichI_Am_Psycho

Comments

• TheCrabTheCrab Member Posts: 84
    I always use the Governor till RSL 25 during challenge and the item drop is always the same, 1 and 2 star stuff
    IGN : TheCrab
    Currently : Level 71
    Guild : Mavericks NWO
    romeo
  • DBonesDBones Member Posts: 783
    My Governor is epic L23 (leader trait still L3, 15%), and I've been using him a LOT this challenge (i.e., every single map). I can't say with 100% certainty, but I would give it about 95% certainty, that I have not once seen "reward improved" since around the RSL23 mark (presently halfway through RSL 26.2). I leave that 5% possibility that it may have happened, because I don't even look at items that aren't epic/legendary, so it's possible something may have slipped by, but I really don't think so. I can say with 100% certainty that no epic/legendary items received the "reward improved" since around RSL23. However, I cannot tell you when the last time was that I saw any item get the "reward improved" moniker, so this isn't exactly the most reliable data - more anecdotal. I for one will definitely keep a closer eye on this moving forward because the Governor has such great potential, but the never-ending duds in crates usually make him a benchwarmer for me, with Maggie in his place. Good luck @JayZ and @Bill_ZRT , I hope you guys can figure this thing out!!
    Board-certified slayer of the dead
    Proud elder of Dead Stalkers
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,020
    FYI @TheCrab, the Governor doesn't improve the base rarity of an item (i.e., he doesn't make it more likely to get Epic or Leg gear). His trait only affects the level of the item (e.g., 22, 23).

Thanks for keeping an eye out @DBones. If we get an overwhelming response that people DON'T notice anything, then it might support our theory about why Gov's trait isn't working.

Also, it would be helpful if @Shteevie or @Fearofabotplanet could weigh in on this. Hopefully this targeted theory is more helpful than simply complaining about Gov's trait not working.
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    Will do @JayZ
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,765
    I've seen the upgrade of every level, except the last level. Never 22 to 23.
    Don't know if it is due to RSL, capped chances or something else.
    Also, It seems 21 to 22 happens less than 20 to 21 etc...
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 930
    My Governor is Legendary L22 and I've been using him on every map (started with 5 RPs). I'm through RSL 26.1 and can tell you with 100% certainty I have not seen any "REWARD IMPROVED!" on any gear at any RSL period.
    jimmorrison369JackBauerbigbeanoromeo
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November 2017
    Most if not all end gamers scavenger normal missions start at rsl 24. All we are looking for is 1 instance where a “rewards improved” comes up on a lvl 23 item (because at this rsl the lowest I believe you can get is 22)

I also understand there are many “other” things you can get from rsl 24 scavenger missions such as components, fragments, gold, gas, supplies, xp etc.

So the crate would have to not be a gear reward and lvl 22 (before rewards improved) to meet the criteria to be eligible for improved.

When you factor in all of this, without doing any data analysis, the odds of meeting the criteria are low to begin with then factor in the odds of it meeting the criteria it seems like way way way less than 15% of the time it happens.

All it takes is 1 person to disprove this theory. We are asking the community to help aid in this theory.

Thank you.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    Pic
  • sbfsbf Member Posts: 466
    I'll definitely keep an eye out for this, it's an interesting theory. My baby "account" (which I have to not lose perspective while my main account is maxed out) has the Guv and I'll see the reward improved as much % as should be expected while on my main account I've seen 2 pieces of gear upgraded having run hundreds and hundreds of missions with him. Though I always grind the lower challenge levels with him (up to 26) and, like I said, I've seen 2 pieces of gear "improved", so this wouldn't explain everything.
    jimmorrison369
    It is not that hard to see though. I have had numerous rewards improved. 100+. Never 22-23. Always in beginning of challenge, season missions.

I'd rather talk about what is the theory of the reason why, not if it exists...
    And what are the limits?
    So I do am curious about if it is possible to have a reward improved to max level.
    But there is no doubt that chances decrease when you get close to max level.
  • MonsutaMonsuta Member Posts: 1,168
    I have a level 22 legendary equipment showed "reward improved" earlier, not sure about the exact RSL but it's lower than 23 if I remember it correctly.
    There is NO higher rarity when we use all legendary to craft the badge, we are being punished for having a chance to get LOWER rarity.
    This is NOT WORKING AS INTENDED & it's UNFAIR.
    To be fair, we HAVE seen a level 22 item improved to 23 from @zbot. However, that was on a RSL22 mission, so we still have not seen any evidence on RSL23+.
    jimmorrison369
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    If it’s possible to switch off getting supplies at a certain camp level it’s not insane to think the same is capable for this trait.

If it’s possible not to get supplies after a certain rsl in challenges it’s not insane to think the same is capable for this trait.

I’m not expecting every piece of lvl 22 gear to become lvl 23. But I’m asking for someone somewhere to show me one they achieved on a rsl 23+ map.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,315
    For months I've used the Governor in every challenge from the beginning until around RSL 25 or so. I don't believe I've seen "reward improved" on any piece of gear at any level ever. Hundreds of gears at the lower RSLs and not even once.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
  • SCBMASCBMA Member Posts: 2,104
    My scavenger missions start at RSL 24 and I have run hundreds, maybe even a thousand with my Governor and never once saw "reward improved" on a piece of equipment. I didn't even know that was a possibility until I saw it posted on this forum.
    Zette
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,329
    Here's the data I collected so far... during the last 'Jackpot' event, which I believe is the challenge that started on November 15th, I ran all missions with the Governor up to RSL 25 when I started losing stars (then I switched him for Abe). I took a screenshot of every time I got a non max level piece of gear that his ability could have worked on and of course I took a screenshot of any time his ability actually worked on gear. I'm not going to spam this thread with the screenshots, but I have them and can post them if people would find them interesting. Here's what I found:

There were 40 opportunities for his ability to work on gear, out of those 40 times, it worked twice for a success rate of 5%. In order for his ability to work 15% of the time, I would expect to see it happen 6 times out of 40 opportunities. My governor started the challenge at Epic (15% chance) and ended at Legendary (18% chance) because I got some nice Governor radio calls. I can't say for sure what RSLs I was at, but thanks to the time/date stamp on my screenshots I know that both hits happened on the 16th and 17th, at the beginning of the challenge, and I got no hits on the 18th-19th (when I had 19 opportunities for his ability to activate on gear) when I was playing at higher RSLs.

A had a rare item improved to level 22 and a common item improved to level 23.

It's a small sample size for sure, but I would love additional players to do the same thing... play the Governor in the lead spot in whatever game mode you play and take a screenshot any time you get a non-max level piece of gear (since that represents an opportunity for his ability to work). And of course take a screen shot any time his abiltiy actually does work whether is max or non max level. Do the math and post your results. Are you getting anywhere near 15%? Are there RSLs (or other variable) at which players aren't seeing the ability to work at all? Thanks!!
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

jimmorrison369
    Just an abstract thought.

When playing RSL 17. The range of possible weapon lvl is mostly 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19. All of them can be increased by governor. Together they have governors trait chanche.

When playing RSL 27 theoraticaly it would be 25,26,27,28 and 29. Since max is 23, all of them become a set chance at 22 or 23. Governor can't help anymore.

When playing RSL 23, it would be 21,22,23,24 and 25. Only 21 and 22 can be helped by governer, but 23,24 and 25 can still be lvl 22 and governor can do nothing about it.
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,329

When playing RSL 27 theoraticaly it would be 25,26,27,28 and 29. Since max is 23, all of them become a set chance at 22 or 23. Governor can't help anymore.

You lost me here... I agree that the gear will be either level 22 or level 23. If it's level 23, the Governor can't help, but if it's level 22 his ability can still raise it to level 23.

When playing RSL 23, it would be 21,22,23,24 and 25. Only 21 and 22 can be helped by governer, but 23,24 and 25 can still be lvl 22 and governor can do nothing about it.

You lost me even more here, especially the part that I bolded. What do you mean when you say: 23,24 and 25 can still be lvl 22 and governor can do nothing about it? If the gear is level 22, the Governor's ability can still activate and make it level 23.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

So the theory I'm posing is this.
    When playing rsl 27. The calculation is still 25,26,27,28 and 29 gear. Governer can increase all of those lvls to +1. But all of them are above lvl23. So in the end they all become either 22 or 23, and they then won't get increased anymore. (Because it would work before they are reduced to the current max level)

Or you could say: any gear that should've been lvl 23 or higher, already is at the max chance to become 23. So governor can't improve them anymore.
    1Ris
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the (imo) fact that the occurance of governor trait, reduces the higher up you go. Asside to the obvious effect of lvl 23 not being able to upgrade...
    Bill_ZRT said:

but if it's level 22 his ability can still raise it to level 23.

So my point is this. What if that won't work on a lvl 22 out of what theoraticaly was a lvl 27?
  • KaLiKaLi Member Posts: 426
    edited December 2017
    @JayZ

I have already observed your theories when he was first released. I believe the staffs replied to it and it's working as intended! Just very low chance

Maybe they will look into it again and I do agree after using him almost everyday since he released, my rates for improving level on equipment is very very low that I don't count on it anymore and just try to benefit from extra xp and supplies
    Bill_ZRTwrinkled_bag
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,546
    This was from trial 1 from Season 8 Mission.
    Don’t know what rsl it is.
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    @JackBauer My guess it was RSL21 because that has the opportunity to drop level 20, 21, and 22 gear. Also, if you're an end-gamer, trial missions start at RSL-2.
  • SPC_TORRESSPC_TORRES Member Posts: 1,345
    About to start round 19 which is 27.1
    I have not seen a improved reward on equipment
    Getting it on supplies and xp
    Also what is sad , is that I am still getting lv 21 and lv 22 gear
    On my second account I am at almost the same point, still no joy either

2nd trial of this weeks season 8 mission.
    Got an upgrade. lol
    -----------------
    jimmorrison369JayZ
    Thanks @JackBauer! Second trial is still RSL22, which means that we still aren't seeing this work at RSL23+
  • sbfsbf Member Posts: 466
    In terms of RSL 23+, when I was writing in support about the Guv not working I took 100 screenshots of missions at RSL 25, though I've run hundred and hundreds more without an improved reward. Still got them, though they'll likely go the same way most of my other screenshots go some months in the future.
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    Here's my tiny data sample from this last challenge.

Started compiling at the start of level 24 and stopped using the Governor after completing rsl 26

Found 26 pieces of base level 22 gear. Got improved to level 23 a grand total of ZERO times.

My Governor leader trait is at 18%
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    edited December 2017
    From RSL 22 challenge, so it doesn't answer the question about RSL 23, but it does show equipment being upgraded to max level

Bill_ZRT
    Difficulty 22
    -----------------