[THEORY] Why the Governor's trait doesn't work consistently for item drops & a request for your help

Comments

• TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,035
    I got a unicorn... not a purple or rainbow unicorn, but a unicorn all the same! This is from a level 22 challenge mission.

Overgrowdaworld
  • WeekOneWeekOne Member Posts: 1,195
    I’ve been monitoring since this post and haven’t seen any improved equipment in any missions over RSL 22.... something is definitely broken here.
    JadenSCBMADBones
  • jimmorrison369jimmorrison369 Member Posts: 1,931
    @DLich
    Look at @JackBauer post on page one.
    He did got a lvl21 upgraded to lvl 22 on RSL 22
    DLich
    Furthermore, @mabiki found a lvl 22 upgraded to 23 at rsl 22
    In that case I find @jayz theorie about the trait more likely (no more governor from 23 and beyond). Still more fond of my own theorie for now.
    They see this page. Least someone could do is simply tell us if this is intended. Maybe it is intended to not work at RSL23 and beyond. Why not tell us?
    Maybe it should work on RSL23, but it is bugged. Why not tell us?

Radio silence is the worst. People start speculating over something that should be easy to confirm or denie...
    TJS
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    @jimmorrison369
    It's possible they don't actually know.

The case of the badges not working in op defense is an example of this.

But I agree it's frustrating to see players trying to figure out a part of the game for weeks before any official comments are made to clarify an answer. And in some cases no answer is ever given.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    jimmorrison369
    TJS said:

@jimmorrison369

It's possible they don't actually know.

They don't know if they intend governor trait to work at RSL23?
    I'd assume they at least know that... If they do, they can at least tell us this.
    TJS
  • DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    edited December 2017
    @jimmorrison369 mabikis upgrade to 23 was at rsl 22. It shows “upgraded” 23. My hypothesis is that whatever the rsl is you won’t find gear upgraded to that level. Meaning if it was drafted at base 21 (range of rsl 22 is -1 to +1) that nothing will be 22 upgraded. In his example a base 22 was upgraded to 23. My hypothesis is that a base 21 (which is -1 rsl) won’t be upgraded to 22.

JackBauers example doesn’t fit my hypothesis since if it was infact rsl 22 and was drafted as a 21 and upgraded to a 22 then my hypothesis was disproved. @JackBauer are you positive that was rsl 22 and not 21?

We all know there is a range of 3 that every piece of gear could be except when you hit rsl 23 or higher the range becomes 2.

We all know that 23 cannot be upgraded any higher.

I’m theorizing that the lowest level a piece of gear could possibly be isn’t affected by governors trait.

RSL 22 can have 21,22,23. 23 can’t be upgraded. I’m hypothesizing that neither can 21 because it’s the lowest.

RSL 21 can have 20,21,22. 21 and 22 can be upgraded. I’m hypothesizing that 20 cannot because it’s the lowest.

I ask if players can check the rsl of the missions to see if my hypothesis is false.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    Basically whatever the rsl is you don’t find gear that was upgraded to the level.

If the rsl is 22 then you won’t see an image of lvl 22 gear that says it was upgraded (from 21)

If the rsl is 21 then you won’t see an image of lvl 21 gear that says it was upgraded (from 20)

If this is true then that would explain why at rsl 23+ you won’t find gear of lvl 23 that says it was upgraded (from 22)

If you are on rsl 22 you can find gear upgraded to lvl 23 because the range is 21,22,23. 22 can be upgraded to 23. I’m hypothesizing that 21 can’t be upgraded to 22 (RSL = 22 therefore lvl 21 minimum gear not upgradable to lvl 22 due to the “minimum” factor)

jimmorrison369
  • DoTakDoTak Member Posts: 1,964
    Hilltop challenge Rsl 23+

21 opportunities for Governor to upgrade level 22 gear to 23 (18% chance)

nada
  • Markus_Markus_ Member Posts: 14
    I told the support team 2 times that my governor (level 23, legendary) doesn’t work. I played like 3500 missions and he never upgraded the equipment or weapon level. Only XP and Tomatoes.
    @all I hsve talked with @zbot (thank you for your input) and my hypothesis was disproven. That’s good. It rules out that as the issue.

I believe something else might be the cause.

The game doesn’t have lvl 24 gear. There has to be some code that tells rsl 23+ to not drop 24 gear setting 23 as the max. Every other rsl has a range of 3. -1rsl, 0rsl, +1rsl.

Lvl 23+ only has 2 possibilities. It’s either RSL or it’s RSL -1

If the max is 23 it’s not inconceivable to think the game somehow has a bug that says (in layman’s terms) “once rsl = 23 can’t upgrade beyond that”

Something tells the game not to upgrade 23 to 24. What if that same code is accidentally telling once you hit rsl 23 don’t upgrade?

• ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    We're pretty sure that the upgrades were happening as intended, but the code that checked whether or not to show the "Reward Improved" label had a logical flaw when there are only 2 possible levels and not 3, as exists for most of the game.

Let us know if you continue having this problem after 2.9 is released, but please know that you haven't been missing out on the actual improvement in the starting level of that gear. [And as a reminder, the trait does not affect gear rarity.]
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    DLichzbotjimmorrison369TJS
    @Shteevie that is very logical.

Us players are assuming it’s not working because we don’t see those little words “improved”. The fact that 23+ only has 2 options instead of 3 whatever is causing it not to appear is whatever.

Players are thinking it’s broken because those words don’t appear. Looking forward to 2.9 so we can put this to rest :)

zbotjimmorrison369
    edited December 2017
    Nevermind :).
    Visual glitch lol.
    DLichMonsutasbf
  • dandancar77dandancar77 Member Posts: 322
    I used Philip for my entire challenge, up to RSL 26.3. I seen a handful upgraded at RSL 22 and below, zero on RSL 23 and higher. Lvl23 5-star Governor (18% luck on trait) added with gold luck on his weapon (20%) still no help.
    I forgot to take a screen shot but I just got an improvement on gear at rsl24 so maybe a fix came with update.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    DoTak
    edited December 2017
    TJS said:

I forgot to take a screen shot but I just got an improvement on gear at rsl24 so maybe a fix came with update.

I was beginning to doubt myself as I couldn't repeat this result until now. Again RSL24

-
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    DoTakDodkongJackBauer
  • MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    Yeah, it looks like this was fixed with the update.

From an RSL26 scavenge

JackBauer
  • DBonesDBones Member Posts: 800
    No screenshot, but I got a "reward improved" on a L23 weapon on Monday from a scavenge mission, which was RSL 24. So I agree with @TJS and @Mabiki - it appears to be working now.
    Board-certified slayer of the dead
    Proud elder of Dead Stalkers
    TJS
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,239
    Awesome. Nice to hear that it’s actually working now. @Shteevie can you tell us what the bug actually was? I want to see how close some of the guesses in here were.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    DBones
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    It was as I said above- the level increases were happening, but there was a logic error that caused the "reward improved" banner to fail to appear.

Glad to hear that the fox has worked. Let us know how things go on the late stages of this week's challenge.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    DLichDBonesTJSScowley
  • GovernatorGovernator Member Posts: 3,652
    DBones said:

Yep, he was all over it, @Shteevie ;)

He? Maybe there's a female dev over there that he has his eyes on. ;)
    DBonesSCBMAzeekdogDoTak
  • dandancar77dandancar77 Member Posts: 322
    worked for me today - RSL 23.2

paintbeastSCBMA