Get Rid of the Protective Barriers!

dmar310dmar310 Member Posts: 83
These things are so annoying. Sometimes I have a clear shot with my assault to kill a half dozen walkers, but because the game keeps directing my survivor to behind a barrier, the angle changes and I can't get the shot I want.

Other times, going to a barrier puts you in more harm's way than a direct shot. If there's a walker standing beside the barrier, I shouldn't have to use it to fire at another walker.

Get rid of these things, or at least make using them optional. [/gripe]

PS: I tried to post this in 'Suggestions & Ideas" but it wouldn't let me select a category.
TimboskiMattOfEarthJadenMurdoqueFragzieflyingcowkingGunny_HighwayTimberChrangbanzaiADPaqTransmuteJuntheldssdlInspTurbinesTechfallromeomik81msapaev

Comments

• ekimhclewekimhclew Member Posts: 779
    I simply don't understand why they ignore this to the extent they do. I've literally never heard anyone say they like this feature. If you have something in your game that is widely hated by everyone who plays it, why would you not make taking it out of the game one of your top priorities?

I know the mods play this game too and i know they must hate this feature just like the rest of us.
    MattOfEarthdmar310DBonesromeo
  • DrunkenDrunken Member Posts: 1,726
    @Governator

I stole yours I scored 6 count them 6 gold jackpots last time. I was lucky enough to score a bunch of super duper rare green exclusively for me gear. Some awesome supplies, maybe 2 epic frags, radio once or twice.
    GovernatorSCBMAJadenbanzai
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    This is a situation we have gone around and around on.
    If there were no preference for cover, then it would never be used. Players would vary rarely take the choice to move behind cover if it caused them to forgo their attack. For example, if the cover position were 4 spaces away, most characters could at best move near it, and then attack from out in the open, rather than moving to the cover and attacking, as it is now.

The position about the complicated interface still stands. The game needs to maintain a level of simplicity in order to not confuse and overwhelm people. If they are scared off by too many options, they won't become fans and regular players of the game in the first place. So, additional interface options are not an option for mechanics like this.

However, we have spent some time on the pathfinding logic in the last few months. We have experimented with changes to the pathfinding that would:
    A) Not take auto-cover positions if an enemy could make a melee attack into those spaces on the next enemy turn,
    B) if there are multiple possible routes from the origin to the destination, don't take the one that provokes a bonus attack from a walker

These have been developed to the point where we had it running in the game development environment, but I don't know if we hit a snag that prevented it from going into the game in the last update. I'll make a note of following up on this. Hopefully, they would eliminate the vast majority of turns where the character would move into cover against the best wishes of the player. In the meantime, if you haven't tried using half-moves to eliminate the possibility of moving to cover, it can be an [imperfect] answer here. Sometimes, just making one step backwards and spend the AP means that you no longer have the range to make it to cover, and so it's not going to go there. It doesn't work all the time, and I know it's not as good as the options we have worked on but it may work for you until the changes get added in.
    Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    ShadowaceAzant
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    @ekimhclew
    Harsh.. man, harsh...

He just said they are working on it and even thought it was about ready. I assume you know about coding for multiple platforms and OS’s, so I won’t go into the details on what a “simple” thing these are ... Not ... but cut him some slack at least he responded with an honest and open answer.

You see how many people want different specific things added on any given day, I think most of the player base is hoping they comb out the challenges to be fair and equatable to all before every single nitpick is pick and knitted.

Hate me, despise me, or heck love me for speaking out in defense (we know that’s not gonna happen), but why do you need to be so harsh?
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

jrodrf2zivaoliviaRealClareB
  • Camel56Camel56 Member Posts: 568
    To me auto cover "might" be useful only when fighting humans with guns. There is no need for cover when all you have is melee type enemies, human or walker. Even then, bullet dodge and bullet proof may or may not protect you from those evil snipers that out power your strongest survivors!
  • ekimhclewekimhclew Member Posts: 779
    @ShadowaceAz

This has been an issue for well over a year. People have been begging to have it removed ever since it’s inception. Our complaints have fallen on deaf ears all this time. It should have been fixed a long time ago.