Changes Being Made

Anyone hear about Scott M. Gimple being relieved of his duties on TWD?
T_12bigbeano

Comments

• T_12T_12 Member
    Ohh no no, he's not relieved of his duties, in fact he now has an even bigger role since he just got promoted. He overlooks the entire TWD universe i.e. anything related to TWD. I think there are 3 reasons that led to this :
    1. The petition that people signed to oust Gimple.
    2. Consistent ratings drop, so they wanted someone else in charge of the show.
    3. Kirkman just loves Gimple so much he didn't feel like kickin him out, so he gets a promotion. :disappointed:
    Alive!
  • Oh ok. Well either way, he won't be making the decisions that directly effect the show like he was, and I think that's mostly what people wanted.

I also think that "what happened at the very end of the mid season finale" was also a big reason for it.
  • MabikiMabiki Member
    edited February 9
    The Walking Dead' Just Killed Its Biggest Character Yet For The Worst Reason Possible

The most shocking part of all of this to me is that according to an exit interview with THR, this is not Chandler Riggs wanting to leave the show to go to college or anything, which may have been understandable, albeit sad in its own way. Rather, this was Scott Gimple’s decision and it was “all story-based,” Riggs says, something about teaching Rick a lesson that there’s a “better way” than war. Here's the explanation that Riggs says Gimple gave him. Mild (non-death) comic spoilers follow:

"In the comics, Scott was trying to figure out why there was a hole between Rick slitting Negan's throat at the end of the "All-Out War" arc and then there's the time jump and Negan is alive and in prison and Rick didn't kill Negan. Scott was trying to figure out how to bridge the gap between Rick not wanting to kill Negan and Rick also really wanting to kill Negan, which he does right now [in the show's story]. Scott's way to get around that was to make Carl this really humanitarian figure and person who could see the good in people and see that people can change and not everyone out there is bad. That's what Carl's talk to Rick was in this episode: there's no way that they can kill every one of the Saviors and not everyone is a bad person and there has to be some way forward than just killing people."

Because all that definitely requires Carl’s death and is in keeping with his character. Sure. Right. If that’s true, if Gimple really made this call all on his own, then that’s totally insane, and I can’t believe a mind-numbingly short-sighted decision like that was made to...fix a minor comic inconsistency? At the cost of one of the most key characters in the entire comic? That's madness.
  • i still think that this could still be introduction of the whisperers.

gimple didn't come out and say carl dies. he said it was a bite, and we all know what happens after a bite. he has discussed it in other interviews, which goes against everything else that they have done to keep things close to their chest.

it could all be a big hoax to get people talking about twd again to help revive ratings. think of how many people will return to watch the mid season opener to see carl's death, and how many it would retain if he didn't actually die.
    abailey362 - MAVERICKS OG

abailey3621 - MAVERICKS NOC

DreadPirateRob - MAVERICKS UC

Part of the MAVERICKS Family.

• In theory, I would love to see Carl live because I he has become one of the characters I still find interesting and believable on the show. But for that to be true, both the actor and his Dad would have to be involved in a big social media hoax effort, which I don't think is likely.

The other thing is, I would be infinitely more angry with another Glenn dumpster style fakeout than I am sad at the character death we assume is coming. I would probably quit the show at that moment.