This news explains a bit what is going on - developers are leaving the game along with the players

The excerpt below is from the earnings report from Next Games this morning from the CEO. Players are indeed leaving the game - 18.7% down in monthly active users from 2016. Development resources from NML have been moved to other games.

Some might say NextGames is indeed on the path to sunsetting No Man's Land. Usage in this game is down significantly, and the company is admittingly focussing on its new games versus continuing to have the same priority on NML as it did in the past. I am pretty sure we won't be able to expect the kinds of updates for this game in the future that we've seen in the past, due to the decline of development resources on this game.

IMHO, it might have been early to move development resources from this game. It undoubtedly cost the company money to do so. The company might have gotten ahead of itself with development on too many future projects instead of improving its cash cow. Time will tell. It can't help that the new Blade Runner movie pretty much bombed at the box office, and The Walking Dead ratings are down too.

Next Games stock is down slightly today after its earnings report.

=====
The Walking Dead: No Man's Land has been our only product generating significant revenue in 2017, and it has sustained itself and the team developing it during the year. The Walking Dead: No Man's Land will continue to generate revenue, but currently Next Games prioritizes new games over this product when allocating the company resources in between projects. At the end of 2017 approximately 24% of our staff was working on The Walking Dead: No Man's Land (approx. 64% in 2016), the rest of the company was working on the four new projects, except for approximately 7% of staff in general administration (approx. 7% in 2016).

As resources and focus shifted towards our future projects, as a consequence, there were fewer impactful updates in The Walking Dead: No Man's Land during 2017 in comparison to 2016. This shows as a decline in our key performance indicators. Our daily active users number was down by 1.33% and monthly active users by 18.7% from 2016. The investments in our future projects is reflected as a slowing down of our year-on-year revenue growth to 4.5% and -6.4 million euro EBIT, thus Next Games is willing to forgo short term gains over long term profit.

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/next-games-corp-financial-statements-bulletin-and-annual-report-2017-focus-on-building-future-20180130-00025
valereeeSteinarTroublemakerGovernatorSCBMAPutchucoCronusJade333OneVoiceMattOfEarthTheSittingDuckkiwinz7xiaofei66rustynail

Comments

• General_PainGeneral_Pain Content Creator Posts: 2,463
  • SteinarSteinar Content Creator Posts: 96
    edited January 2018
    As the report shows, NG has shifted its capacities to other games. These cost a lot of resources and so NML is probably left behind at the moment.

However, you also have to say that a "finished" game doesn't need as much resources as it does at the beginning. At the moment, however, it seems that many things remain unfinished due to a lack of resources.

A sad development, as there is still so much potential in NML. We can't wait to see what happens next, with this game.

Maybe in the long run it's good if NG develops other games as well. This would raise more money and that would certainly be positive for NML.

Addendum to the report

If the 69% are spread over 3 projects, then it is very balanced. No comparison with 2016, of course.
    https://twd-nml.de

Wir informieren euch über Neuigkeiten rund um das Spiel, verraten die Tipps und Tricks der Profis und schreiben Leitfäden für die verschiedenen Spielmodi.

Facebook

valereeeKillersZ
  • Conan1976Conan1976 Member Posts: 758
    Looking for a guild? The Den is the place to be!
    We bring the fun back! Game Tips and Videos! Common interest non-game related chats too!
    Everyone is Welcome!

Grimes Den & Dixons Den: competitive / different play styles
    Shivas Den: semi-competitive / relaxed Maggies Den: training and growth

Email us to make our home your home: [email protected]
  • General_PainGeneral_Pain Content Creator Posts: 2,463
    A sad change for the better @Bill_ZRT

Also my signature refers to NML changes not people in NG.
  • theldssdltheldssdl Member Posts: 114
    Seems like a poor strategy to me. This game was all but destined to succeed due to affiliation with an incredibly popular franchise. What future game could NG be working on that is as likely to have a built in group of interested fans?
    R2runfastcrambert_nec
  • valereeevalereee Member Posts: 179
    theldssdl said:

Seems like a poor strategy to me. This game was all but destined to succeed due to affiliation with an incredibly popular franchise. What future game could NG be working on that is as likely to have a built in group of interested fans?

There's a TWD Augmented-Reality game expected to release in the next six months, plus a Bladerunner game

Winner of the 'Post Your Worst Jackpot' contest Jan18
    Steinar said:

Maybe in the long run it's good if NG develops other games as well. This would raise more money and that would certainly be positive for NML.

NG isn't going to spend money made by the next game on NML. They'll spend money made by the next game on developing the next game after that. The point is to always have something in the pipeline and stop spending development money on a game that is at maturity, which NML is.
    Bill_ZRT
    edited January 2018

I hope this means we won’t get another Council Upgrade this year. :wink:

I suspect it's more that we're unlikely to see an upgrade to 3.0
    GovernatorTroublemaker
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,251
    Shall I say RIP NML?

There is a part about contracts too that says 3 year or something... Didn't read it with proper attention and can't do it right now.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
    valereee said:

NG isn't going to spend money made by the next game on NML. They'll spend money made by the next game on developing the next game after that. The point is to always have something in the pipeline and stop spending development money on a game that is at maturity, which NML is.

If NG earns more money, it creates opportunities to further develop an existing game.
    Money was invested in more personnel, infrastructure and technology. This should certainly also benefit NML.

Ultimately, time will show where the journey is heading. Remains the best for NML to hope. ;)

Wir informieren euch über Neuigkeiten rund um das Spiel, verraten die Tipps und Tricks der Profis und schreiben Leitfäden für die verschiedenen Spielmodi.

Facebook

dlb
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,394
    Steinar said:

valereee said:

If NG earns more money, it creates opportunities to further develop an existing game.
    Money was invested in more personnel, infrastructure and technology. This should certainly also benefit NML.

Ultimately, time will show where the journey is heading. Remains the best for NML to hope. ;)
    @Steinar - I don't think you read the entire linked report.

The Walking Dead: No Man's Land will continue to generate revenue, but currently Next Games prioritizes new games over this product when allocating the company resources in between projects.
    and

As resources and focus shifted towards our future projects, as a consequence, there were fewer impactful updates in The Walking Dead: No Man's Land during 2017 in comparison to 2016. This shows as a decline in our key performance indicators. Our daily active users number was down by 1.33% and monthly active users by 18.7% from 2016. The investments in our future projects is reflected as a slowing down of our year-on-year revenue growth to 4.5% and -6.4 million euro EBIT, thus Next Games is willing to forgo short term gains over long term profit.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

• nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 242
    valereee said:

"Yeah, our main moneymaker is losing players because we aren't really working very hard on it any more, but the market shouldn't punish us for that because we're using our development resources on new projects which will make us more profitable sometime in the future. So don't tell your clients to sell our stock!"

You got it @valereee. When the investment community hears a company say they are "willing to forgo short term gains over long term profit", it translates to this: "Our company had a bad quarter. So let's blame it on expenses for long-term projects, and we will allude to those undelivered projects generating big profits in the future.
    Hopefully, investors buy this story and they keep the faith and prop up that stock price." ;-)
    valereee
    @Bill_ZRT

I have read the report and the job in question is also a headache for me.

In the end, I was just speculating and expressing hope.
    Unfortunately, we do not know what the future holds.

Perhaps the numbers NG also show that they have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to NML and that something is changing.

Facebook

Bill_ZRT
    @Bill_ZRT
    Sometimes you just have to stay optimistic. Even if it's all about storms. ;)

Of course, the day will come when the game ends. And hopefully, it won't be so soon. But the life cycle seems to be very advanced.
    Compass Point West is a very good argument. Never played the game and I don't know its development. Of course, it would be nice to have benefited from NML.

Certainly not as successful as NML. The probability that investments are still being made there is probably low.

NML has so much potential that you have to use it. Anything else would be really bad.

Facebook

• pirate1125pirate1125 Member Posts: 321
    Didn't we just get told a few weeks ago this wasn't the case?
    DLH
  • JeemPedJeemPed Member Posts: 156
    My question is what game is everyone going to play instead? And sorry, I dont mean to derail this thread.
  • Jade333Jade333 Member Posts: 93
    This isn’t shocking at all. I no longer invest a cent to this game and haven’t for several months. This is what I asked in here a week or so ago and was told it was private information LOL.
    valereeeKaLi
  • zeekdogzeekdog Member Posts: 185
    As Jim Stafford once sang.

“All good things gotta come to an end,
    And it's the same with the wildwood weed”.

I’ll just sit here waving. Sitting on this sack of seeds.

Gotta have hope!
    Nick37