This news explains a bit what is going on - developers are leaving the game along with the players

13»

Comments

• BttlOpenerBttlOpener Member Posts: 895
    @Kaz Thanks for your response to my post. It is definitely a tough situation, becoming a spokesperson for the game developer to a very passionate and opinionated forum audience. While I appreciate your offer to make me more comfortable, it is the customers who purchase items (bundles, gold, ect.) in the game that NG needs to hold on to. Myself watching ads and (on occasion) purchasing a gas booster probably won't sustain the further development of the game. I believe there are ways to increase customer purchase of bundles but this is not the thread for that. Once again, thanks for your time.
    Kaz
  • JackBauerJackBauer Member Posts: 1,550
    > @Techfall said:
    > @Shteevie @Kaz for the love of God, weapon swap fix, please sirs.

The simplest thing at least: a "drop weapon/armour button" that just replace the survivor stuff with the lowest stuff available. Would be very very helpful for the distance.
    -----------------
    Remember to use your charge abilities
    KazTechfallant
  • TechfallTechfall Member Posts: 168
    Shteevie said:

Techfall said:

@Shteevie @Kaz for the love of God, weapon swap fix, please sirs.

I don't disagree. However, that one comes with a lot of extra stuff that we have to design around and account for.

Like, what happens if you swap your level 25 [base 23] weapon off of your level 23 guy and replace it with the level 24 [base 22] weapon from your level 22 guy? The level 22 guy can't hold the base 23 weapon, so we'd need to create a "unequipped" state for characters, which doesn't exist yet. Then, what if you try to start a mission with a character with no weapon? Now we need a warning there to tell you to give the character a weapon. And if one of those characters was an Outpost defender, we can't let you leave them unequipped, because you might be attacked.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm trying to say that A) we have thought it through a fair amount to see what it would take, and B) it's not exactly trivial. It's actually more work than something like the Round Pass feature was, and I could argue that the latter has a bigger impact on the game's success as a whole.

I would like to see this feature myself, so I'm still hopeful to find a space in the schedule for it. Hope the insight is at least interesting to you.
    I think simply allowing a swap potential would be a good start, if it's not feasible based on level you get a notification saying so
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,292
    > @Kaz said:
    > @Kaz
    >
    > I initially guessed you had 'drawn the short straw' for being the next staff member to interface on the forum. It appears that @Shteevie is MIA from the forum (considering his last comment was over a month ago). I will leave this here just in case the saying isn't clear for those who are not familiar with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawing_straws
    >
    > None of what was stated above is meant as disrespect. But those of us who are avid fans, of not only the game, but the IP would like to know the direction the game is going, IE; future updates, promotions, and most of all the longevity of the game. My best guess is NG has a contract with AMC to support this game for a specified time frame. No one here is asking for the specifics of said contract, but players probably would support future NG games as long as there was some definitive answers to the path TWD:NML is going. Good luck on your journey.
    >
    > Haha, all the straws I draw are short, since I'm the guy that will be the bridge between players and the development of the game. Shteevie is part of the development, so he sometimes shows up to talk about specific things, explain some stuff or even just to hang a bit. However, he's been super busy currently. Mostly because I've been bothering him with suggestions, bazillion questions and discussing features and improvements.
    >
    > But yeah, I'll talk to the team and the managers to see if I can give you some spoilers from the upcoming update. Can't promise anything for know, but I think it'll be super useful to at least make you more comfortable, right?
    >
    > Thanks for the kind feedback, mate. Really appreciate it! > @BttlOpener said:
    >
    > > @Kaz
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I initially guessed you had 'drawn the short straw' for being the next staff member to interface on the forum. It appears that @Shteevie is MIA from the forum (considering his last comment was over a month ago). I will leave this here just in case the saying isn't clear for those who are not familiar with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawing_straws
    >
    > >
    >
    > > None of what was stated above is meant as disrespect. But those of us who are avid fans, of not only the game, but the IP would like to know the direction the game is going, IE; future updates, promotions, and most of all the longevity of the game. My best guess is NG has a contract with AMC to support this game for a specified time frame. No one here is asking for the specifics of said contract, but players probably would support future NG games as long as there was some definitive answers to the path TWD:NML is going. Good luck on your journey.
    >
    >
    >
    > There's something at the report that says three years. Pardon me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > It's more along the lines of: "we have to release a game that last at least 3 years" but not one that ends in 3 years. So season 9 was just confirmed and with the massive update we are about to release "soon". Again, we have no plans to cease the production of No Man's Land. @Kaz thank you for dropping by and for giving us some reassurance.
    >
    > Communication is key and all we are asking is that you keep communicating with us.
    >
    > We haven’t seen @Shteevie since December on the forums so naturally we feel neglected (I do anyways) on that part.
    >
    > Are you our new @Shteevie ?
    >
    > I can’t wait to see what you have planned for us.
    >
    >
    >
    > Can't wait to tell you either! And nope, I'm not your new Shteevie. He's a game designer and he's deeply involved developing new content, features and well, basically every change in the game pass through him. So he's busy as truck right now. And well, I'm the messenger. :cold_sweat:
    > Basically
    >
    >
    >
    > Teeceezy—Soon
    >
    >
    >
    > Kaz—sorry, can't tell anything for now.
    >
    >
    >
    > I am Eggcited for the update
    >
    > How about if I change to:
    > "Soon! Can't tell you anything for now :dizzy:

Thanks again @Kaz

We have never been treated so well since you joined the forum. Honest and "no bullshit" answers. Good vibes.
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
  • ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
    nadecir said:

Let's not quibble about the meaning of the word "sunset".

1. What are the plans to fix the bugs in this game?

2 Does NG plan to become compliant with Apple Store Review guidelines that state "Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase."?

I disagree; we should definitely be clear about the definition of a term like "sunset" [or "bug" or "honest" or "vague"] when we have discussion like this. Otherwise, we run the risk of not understanding each other, creating false agreements, and feeling betrayed when things don't pan out to match what we thought mistakenly was mutually understood.

The standard industry definition of "Sunset" in this context is "the end of new feature development and reduced levels of support for existing players". That is not happening here. We have features big and small on the to-do list, are planning development roadmaps for as far forward as we ever have, and are hiring new people onto the team. Some people have become seniors or learned new skills while on this team, and are using those skills to help the company as a whole.

Further, you always need more people right as you prepare and react to the launch of a new game. Since we are launching 2 this year, it only makes sense to loan out team members and put a lot of focus on those projects. For what it's worth, though, the designers, programmers, and artists for NML are all so busy with this project that we're keeping our focus as a team where it has always been.

Secondly, without seeing information that is confidential and proprietary to the game, it's frankly impossible for you to assign causality or correlation between the information in the release and the speculation about team size. We're not losing players any faster than your average 2+ year old F2P game. We continue to have a stellar relationship with the makers of the #1 TV series in the US and many other places around the world. We'll be doing a ton of stuff for the first time this year, and we hope it knocks the socks off lots of our current, past, and future players.

Now that we have that out of the way, your questions:
    1) We choose bugs to fix during the process of planning and finalizing every update. We have dedicated time in every release to find and fix bugs, and a backlog of bugs that are worked on when time allows. It's therefore impossible to point to any one bug and say for sure when it will be addressed. As a rule, though, things that keep people from playing or cause errors in the shop are of course given high priority.

2) We have not announced and do not plan to announce an end to future updates as delivered through the App Store.

Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
    Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
    TroublemakerWeekOneant
  • hunter_xhunter_x Member Posts: 246
    Oh my, another update coming.... :wink:

• nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 242
    @Shteevie Again, I appreciate your engagement here.

I understand your point of view on the word "sunset". I will choose not to discuss it any further. Often I have found that getting wrapped up in the meaning of a single word does not advance the conversation. I will let your CEO's words speak for themselves and not try to generalize it in a single word: "currently Next Games prioritizes new games over this product when allocating the company resources in between projects..." and "As resources and focus shifted towards our future projects as a consequence, there were fewer impactful updates in The Walking Dead: No Man’s Land during 2017 in comparison to 2016."

I will take it on your word that "We're not losing players any faster than your average 2+ year old F2P game." However, It should be plain to see that NML has many significant advantages over the average 2+ year old F2P game. NML has these advantages, among many others, over the vast majority of games in the market:

1. The game has the support of a major cable television network (AMC) as a part owner of the company.
    2. It's based on one of the most popular cable television series of all time.
    3. The company has the financial support of major investors, including raising money from the public capital markets.
    4. The game enjoys tapping into a very dedicated and loyal customer base of the television series and the comic book series.

No offense intended, but holding this game to the standard of an average 2+ year old F2P game is an extremely low standard given these advantages. Take this constructively, but NML's standard of excellence should be the top 1% of all F2P games. I would encourage Next Games as a company to hold themselves to a much higher standard than average for all its games. Your employees will be better off for it, your company will be better off for it, and your bottom line will be better off too if you push to excel to a higher standard.

In terms of my questions, please give this one some thought on my question #1. Bug fixes should NOT be a mystery that is detailed at each release in release notes or uncovered by players after an update. Many players of this game decide whether to invest money in it depending on the state of issues in this game. Some players decide whether to stop playing based on the state of issues in this game. I am sure as a good software development organization, you utilize a bug tracking system. Some reported bugs are marked as "closed", meaning they will not be addressed because they are either seen as working as intended or you just plain never plan to fix it. Other bugs are marked as intended to be fixed in the next release. Others may be left to be addressed in the future. Giving players visibility into these bug fix plans will raise customer satisfaction and customer retention rates, not lower them. Players are intelligent people; they can handle this information and process it accordingly. Players also understand that plans change, and although a bug may be planned to be fixed in the next release, the fix may slip. You can certainly continue to withhold information on the status of game issues like you have done in the past, but in my opinion, this hurts you rather than helps you with your customers.

For my question #2 on whether you plan to disclose the odds of receiving randomized virtual items for purchase to customers prior to purchase, I must be having a comprehension problem this morning. I don't understand your answer. I fully expect you will continue updates through the Apple App store, but that was not my question. Maybe someone else can help me determine if the answer to my question was a yes or no. Or maybe you can choose to elaborate further Shteevie.

In general, I would encourage Next Games to be more transparent with its customer base. Some of the best companies in the word embrace transparency with their customers; some of the worst companies hide and obfuscate information from customers. If you polled the players of this game and ask them this question "Would you be more satisfied players, recommend the company's games more often, and spend more money in Next Games products if the company was more open and transparent with communications?", I think the overwhelming answer would be "Yes". Your Net Promoter score would undoubtedly be higher, IMHO, if you embraced more transparency with your customer base.

To Shteevie and the rest of the NG crew who lurk here, thanks for listening to me.
    TroublemakerWeekOne
  • dandancar77dandancar77 Member Posts: 322
    just please tell us no council level increase in the next update **crosses fingers**
  • Pain WalkerPain Walker Content Creator Posts: 2,473
    @dandancar77 Kaz said no council upgrade
    David_H79
  • DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,048
    @dandancar77

Already been confirmed by @Kaz, no council upgrade in the next update:

https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/comment/291514/#Comment_291514

About halfway down, where he responds to @JayZ's question.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
    David_H79WeekOne
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    @nadecir

Asked a couple of questions.
    The second being this;

2 Does NG plan to become compliant with Apple Store Review guidelines that state "Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase."? When will NG publish the odds for receiving every type of virtual item that one can get from random events in this game?

@Shteevie answered by saying this;

2) We have not announced and do not plan to announce an end to future updates as delivered through the App Store.

My question. How is this in anyway answering the question asked?
    To put it simply, it doesn't.
    Why is this question not answered?
    This is not the first time I've seen questions completely ignored.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    TimboskiOneVoice
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,883
    I'm no expert but there aren't really any loot boxes in NML which are directly available for purchase with real money. There are the component cases, TG legendary crates and the 12.5k TG crates. You can't directly purchase these with money but instead with gold/trade goods but these can be earned, albeit slowly, by playing the game.

The only thing I can think of are the full supplies bundle which have random traits but even then you know exactly what you're getting in terms of a legendary weapon and each trait seems to have an equal probability of showing up. 99% of the bundles for purchase show exactly what weapon/traits you're going to get.
    @WellyLuga
    It's not just loot boxes for cash. It includes in game credit. ie; gold and TG

And NG knows this full well. Probably why the question was avoided.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Timboski
    Probably why the question will remain avoided. Unless @Shteevie would like to actually answer the question???
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Timboski
    edited February 2018
    This thread explains this very well and has various links for further information.

https://forums.nextgames.com/walkingdead/discussion/31746/we-might-get-to-know-in-game-loot-boxes-drop-rate-in-the-near-future

To add: This thread was posted December last year. Was it completely ignored by NG.

Of course!
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Timboski
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,830
    The message I'm getting from those quotes @TJS is in order to keep publishing in the store they will need to meet requirements.

Furthermore shteevie expanded on that topic later on in this same thread. I'll quote what you seem to have missed.

Shteevie:
    "On the second question, my intent was to say that since Apple has made new requirements for acceptance for release on their store, and we intend to continue to add features and content to the game, it follows that we will necessarily need to take those new requirements into account before those updates will be accepted for release. To loop this item back to your first question, the work needed to comply with these requirements [sent out to the industry just as people all over the world started their winter holidays] made a considerable impact on our capacity and bandwidth that could be offered to bug fixing. We've had one of these kind of development-resource-heavy curveballs with about every update for the last year. I don't say this as a way to make excuses, but rather to illustrate my earlier point that planning out every bug fix and the order that they will be made is often an impossible task that would be irrelevant within a month or two."
    TimboskiOneVoiceBill_ZRT
    Thanks @MadPuppy
    I indeed missed that. My blood boiled after the first reply which didn't answer the question.

Much appreciated.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    MadPuppy
  • nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 242
    @Shteevie Thanks for your response earlier to me in this thread. Your answers were indeed helpful.

I am well too familiar with unintended problems from even innocuous bug fixes, unfortunately. The only developers who haven't personally experienced this problem are the developers who haven't fixed a bug yet.

In terms of the bug list, I did not mean literally that NG should give access to their internal issue tracking system. I was thinking something like this: NG could create a forum stickied thread of the game's issues (call it an announcement if you like) that could be maintained by the forum moderator here. The thread would contain one line per bug with its status. Only the moderator could change this thread.

The thread might look something like this:

Bug status

Issue #XXXX - revenge during overwatch: open
    Issue #XXXX - freemen AI: fixed in release 3.X
    Issue #XXXX - badge damage calculations: closed, working as intended

In terms of publishing the virtual odds, It's unfortunate that it consumed so much development bandwidth. Unexpected regulatory changes can be a real pain. I had assumed that NG would just put the odds on your website somewhere, but it sounds like you elected for a more difficult, albeit better, implementation.
  • WhoareyouWhoareyou Member Posts: 71
    So with the update that’s coming are the new weapons and gear going to be available to everyone or is it another lot of gear and weapons that are only available to pay to play Players and free to player get left out again like the winter weapon witch we where told would be available in the distance but are yet to see
    edited February 2018
    @Whoareyou

To answer part of your question.
    The winter weapons were only available for purchase.

I believe the comment you're referring to in the update notes is;

New Weapons

New Winter Survivalist weapons will be appearing in the game throughout the wintertime. Look for these in the Shop, and expect to see them mowing through Walkers in a Challenge or Distance mission near you soon!

I can understand some players read this as these weapons would be available in The Distance.

"...moving through walkers in a Challenge or Distance mission near you soon!"

Is just making reference to where and how you can use the weapons, not where they'll be available.

*edited spelling
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Japes87SCBMA