Hunter vs Shooter

So I'm to the point in the game where my survivor/heroes are level 20 and I find hunters far superior to shooters. Shooters one advantage is they get to their charge attack at 2 kills instead of 3 for a hunter, but they can only kill 2 enemies at most per turn. Hunters still get the same critical attack but can kill many more enemies. Throw in getting a weapon with incendiary/wide caliber and I've had situations we're I've taken down 7-8 in one shot. Now that I'm mainly only playing challenges/distance I'm almost always using assault/hunter teams, can someone explain to me what I'm missing or what I need to utilize shooters?

Comments

• TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    A charged Shooter can take down high level walkers easier than Hunters and take less to charge.

That's basically the advantage.

If I'm using range weapon survivors, I'm usually taking one of each class.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    CBgaming1969antJaden
  • ShayHaShayHa Member Posts: 112
    i like my hunter with wider range its awesome!
  • DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 503
    MadPuppy said:

Edit to add that with charging trait I sometimes get that extra shot even on one kill.

Is that big factor, getting a weapon with that trait?
  • CBgaming1969CBgaming1969 Member Posts: 1,359
    I use 2 assaults and a hunter for most all challenge missions.

I use a scout, assault and shooter for outpost raids.

Early distance scout, assault and hunter team, harder distance swap scout for shooter.

Any challenge missions that say take out the tough walkers and the mission ends...bring along a shooter
    You can kill more walkers with a hunter, but you can kill one quicker with a shooter
    David_H79
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,823
    Maybe personal but charging is one of my favorite shooter traits. @turbo_234

That together with at least silver range (high powered).
    edited February 2018
    Piercing, 3 spaces and extra charge is my ultimate shooter then maybe luck
    I will not upgrade without 3 spaces
  • MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,823
    My two best (and only good) shooter weapons atm.
    My luck kinda sucks in the shooter department.

TJSJenngJaden
    Piercing will get you further in tougher challenges, but that will get you to tougher one's quicker...lvl 22 and 23 traits are perfect
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    turbo_234 said:

Thanks for all the info guys! One thing I did realized, I put all my best badges on my hunters because that's what I was mainly using which is probably why I'm not seeing much of a damage difference. Hopefully we'll have a free badge respect soon so I can change them.

Even if your hunters and shooters are putting out the same base damage, the shooter can put a critical shot and a second shot (which has a chance to go critical) into the same enemy in the same round. So there's the potential for twice the damage to one target than a hunter can achieve. Which is why shooters are tank killers.

So what weapon traits should I be looking for? This was the first legendary lvl 20 I found so was working on updating it. Seemed pretty good but is there something better?

That's pretty damn good. Piercing is also good against high level enemies (losing the chance to crit really takes the shine of a shooter.

David_H79Jaden
    That one is good, just charge up killing normal walker first then blast away a tough guy next move...
    When you are going against enemies 5 times or more higher you need the piercing below that, that will work
  • anthony172anthony172 Member Posts: 642
    These three are my best shooters weapon
    TJSJaden
    So am I hearing the ideal shooter weapon traits would be: charging (silver), piercing (gold), high powered (gold) ??
    CBgaming1969
    Which one should i upgrade?
    IMO The weapon @anthony172 posted above is perfect.
    (Middle Pic / Eqt. Surv. Shane)
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    anthony172
    TJS said:

IMO The weapon @anthony172 posted above is perfect.

(Middle Pic / Eqt. Surv. Shane)

no piercing?
    edited February 2018
    I like more lethal and charging combo. With those and ruthless my critical hit would be mortal.
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 932
    On this weeks challenge (Army Base) once at lvl 29 and above I was taking a Shooter on 4 of the 6 maps (especially with the 50% class bonus). Had to bring one to maximize damage on the Armored or occasional Tank. I have multiple weapons but was using Sasha in leader and Shooter with gold charging/piercing and silver high powered. Several times I'd make a charge kill and then take out another walker with my 2nd shot. I'd get a charge point for the kill and often enough an added point due to charging on the weapon, so it would be fully charged again. Some of the maps I had to switch from a Scout to a Shooter and had more success in the most difficult rounds.

For The Distance (Hard) there are many maps, especially after 8, where you have to have a charged Shooter to kill the Tanks, Armored and/or Spiked Walkers. If I'm unfamiliar with any map in particular I always take an Assault, Hunter and Shooter.
    edited February 2018
    Piecing is definitely a great trait.
    Don't get me wrong.
    I just prefer lethal. Critical hits can be achieved with badges too.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    anthony172
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,316
    Shooters are awesome. Slap some % damage and critical damage badges on them and they are a powerhouse. Hunters are probably the most useful class overall, but shooters are what you want for a target with high health. I too have a weapon with silver high powered and gold piercing/charging. It's one of my favorite weapons. Charging is such a useful trait with shooters.

I use my best shooter in almost every Distance map paired with Sasha. Her leader trait plus the charging trait on my weapon gives me so many charges and lets me clear the initial spawns on almost every map with relative ease.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
    tabernac
    so would you say crit damage or crit chance badges are better for shooters?
    I think critical damage is perfect for scout, shooter, warrior and hunter. I dont like so much critical chance.
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,316
    @turbo_234 Critical damage for sure. Their charge attack is a guaranteed critical for the first shot, so by buffing that damage with badges it's going to hit even harder.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD

@turbo_234 Critical damage for sure. Their charge attack is a guaranteed critical for the first shot, so by buffing that damage with badges it's going to hit even harder.

and I assume % increase is better than flat damage?
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 932
    edited February 2018
    % crit damage for Shooter and Scouts, + for Assaults and Bruisers, Warriors or Hunters can go either way

Edit: I'll typically put any crit damage badges on Shooters, Hunters and Scouts.