TV show vs Comics (Comics spoilers inside!!!)

DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 606
edited March 2018 in TV Show Discussion
Not sure if this is the right spot for this topic and won't give any spoilers for now, but I'm dying to hear what other people think about the direction of the show compared to the comic. It seemed to follow relatively closely until recently....
T_12

Comments

• MadPuppyMadPuppy Moderator Posts: 2,829
    It still does, doesn't it? Individual characters vary, but the main course of events is pretty much the same isn't it. Though, adding comic book info, maybe that needs a bit of caution. Not sure how people feel about that. Since it could spoil things.
    MattOfEarth
  • DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 606
    MadPuppy said:

It still does, doesn't it? Individual characters vary, but the main course of events is pretty much the same isn't it. Though, adding comic book info, maybe that needs a bit of caution. Not sure how people feel about that. Since it could spoil things.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure where to post this or how much I can say. To me its still an interesting discussion because after the war with Negan the show could diverge greatly from the comic.
  • ALF4realsALF4reals Content Creator Posts: 288
    all depends on how much money AMC wants to shell out for keeping the stars around.... if you are a fan of the comics you know there is another rude introduction for the next big baddies... just sayin
    Trust in NG *rubs ears* woo-sahhh

If you like my videos why not check them out on the YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJNZhPyxCp36-ctXh7CHUvg?view_as=subscriber
    ALF4reals said:

all depends on how much money AMC wants to shell out for keeping the stars around.... if you are a fan of the comics you know there is another rude introduction for the next big baddies... just sayin

True, but the way things are going in the show I don't see how the next arc in the comic could happen. Not saying that's bad, I'm just curious what AMC is going to do...
    T_12
    Not sure what you guys refer to?

Whisperers? This is all so long ago it's getting murky already. Why could they not happen?
    It could happen but...

to me Carl was a huge part of that arc and now he's dead in the show. Plus it feels that Rick is gonna kill Negan (another huge part of whisperer arc) in the show. That might not happen though, just seems inevitable in the show the way its going.
    T_12
    Ah, I think the TV will do right to not stick to specific characters too much. Sometimes a character that works well in the comics don't come off at all on TV. Like Andrea. She was a major character in the comics, they even spent at least one full issue just on mourning her loss, but in the TV show she was totally written off at the start of the story. Maybe a poorly chosen actor, or bad show writing, but there you have it.

Negan however, he is also quite popular as a TV show character, so He'll stick around. He's a pretty central figure so they better keep him popular I guess.

The Whisperers are just a group, they can bring them in without any of the characters really.

Just like they brought in whole new groups that weren't even IN the comics, like the garbage people. But they fixed that deviation I guess. :)
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2018
    I heard a rumor that the main show will skip the Whisperers and move on to the next threat, hence the introduction of Georgie. Meanwhile, the Whisperers are supposed to show up on Fear.

I heard a rumor that the main show will skip the Whisperers and move on to the next threat, hence the introduction of Georgie. Meanwhile, the Whisperers are supposed to show up on Fear.

Where did you hear that? Is Georgie in the comic? I only read the collections so am a little behind...
    Georgie isn't technically in the comics, but she bears a strong resemblance to a character who was just introduced in the comics in the past few months named Pamela Milton. It's likely that Georgie is the TV version of Pamela. Without giving a bunch of comics spoilers, Pamela leads a group of survivors who are much further along in re-establishing civilization.

The rumor I heard was just people talking online. There's no official confirmation. But it makes sense, given Carl's death and the introduction of Georgie.

The rumor I heard was just people talking online. There's no official confirmation. But it makes sense, given Carl's death and the introduction of Georgie.

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping the new comic collection comes out soon so I can catch up! And yeah, with WD & FWD sort of merging they could put the whisperers with fear. I thought Carl was a big part of that in the comic so it does make sense.

T_12
    Would make sense. It would allow the series to catch up more to the comics.

I want the fluffy character. B)
    Deadheads said:

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping the new comic collection comes out soon so I can catch up! And yeah, with WD & FWD sort of merging they could put the whisperers with fear. I thought Carl was a big part of that in the comic so it does make sense.

I read the Volumes )the ones that have 6 comics issues each). It's a good compromise between cost and speed. The compendiums are clearly the least costly but they take years to come out. The third compendium was just released, so there won't be a fourth one anytime soon.