How long to stay on a player level for.

I'm player level 63,over half of my survivors are 21,some 20,18,17 etc,do most people level up all characters plus upgrade weapons before upgrading training ground and starting again.Something I've wondered for a while,thought I'd ask before upgrading again,take my time levelling all characters or keep moving up player level?

Comments

• deb1hddeb1hd Member Posts: 333
    I always make sure my camp is totally leveled and the heros and survivors that i use the most are leveled. before upgrading my council. at level 63 you would be there a long yime trying to get all your surviors leveled up.
    marie1980
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,784
    edited April 2018
    Personally whilst you're levelling up I wouldn't hang around at one level for too long. Assuming you have one weapon and one armour per class that's over a month's worth of upgrading from 20 and up, so by the time you get round to getting everyone kitted out it might be time to move up! I bought a couple boosters during double supply weekends and went from 21-23. Only focus on your main survivors for the time being and once you hit max you can try to bring the rest up.

I still have a level 17 epic Ezekiel who might one day make his way up to 24 :lol:
    marie1980flyingcowking
  • marie1980marie1980 Member Posts: 137
    Thank you so much for the advice.
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    I upgraded council too soon, too often!

Got myself in a heap of a mess because all the weapon drops in crates in TG store, note I said crates not the 11k or more individual purchases, are based on player level. So by upgrading buildings/council faster than my survivors, I cannot get weapons in my level. Making it a b*tch to upgrade my people now.

Also it depends on how close you are to unlocking new hero's as they unlock at same level as top survivor/hero. I jumped a major trench in difficulty and now I'm hurting to meet our 600 minimum because I'm using gear 2 and sometimes 3 levels too low.

Just something to consider.

I've told myself now, no more upgrades till last 3 hero unlocks.
    Now to see if I can follow my own advice!
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

• mobbiemobbie Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2018
    I just hit van 22 with spending. Only leveled few main heroes and main toons. as for gear drop still trying get something good at level 21/22. Would be nice see level 24 gear drop less when your not 68.

But for you should wait for next 2x food or if you spend here and there offer with full food is a good buy

and just do 2 days worth nonstop food farming with gold for golding upgrades
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,784

I upgraded council too soon, too often!

Got myself in a heap of a mess because all the weapon drops in crates in TG store, note I said crates not the 11k or more individual purchases, are based on player level. So by upgrading buildings/council faster than my survivors, I cannot get weapons in my level. Making it a b*tch to upgrade my people now.

Also it depends on how close you are to unlocking new hero's as they unlock at same level as top survivor/hero. I jumped a major trench in difficulty and now I'm hurting to meet our 600 minimum because I'm using gear 2 and sometimes 3 levels too low.

Just something to consider.

I've told myself now, no more upgrades till last 3 hero unlocks.

Now to see if I can follow my own advice!
    This is also a good point. I went through a long stretch of getting weapons from challenge crates which were 2-3 levels lower than my survivors but the trade off works out in the end. To be honest, even when I'm guaranteed level 24 stuff from every crate it's rare that I actually get something decent from these crates. 99% of the time I just get exp!
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    Until I hit level 19 with my toons, I was firmly in the @WellyLuga just-go-for-it team. I think that in the early/mid levels, there's little gain in hanging around; you waste a lot of time buffing gear that you'll throw away soon. That said, it's been three weeks since I upgraded both my council and my training area so that I could push on to level 20 - but I haven't. It happens that a) I had some great gear that was worth levelling up and b) there's been a succession of hero weeks where I really wanted to concentrate on releasing/promoting that hero and didn't want distractions or a team weakened by not all being ready for tougher enemies.

Having seen how well one of my guildmates did by sticking at level 19 until he felt entirely prepared, I'm going to take a more measured approach to the 20+ levels.

Having level 21/22/23/24 gear in my workshop, stuff that I won't be able to use for ages, isn't a problem. I mostly just sell any of those that aren't epic/legendary and am happy to know I'll have some good equipment waiting for me.
    WellyLuga
    Cheers everyone, given me a lot to think about ☺
  • Camel56Camel56 Member Posts: 523
    You pretty much have to know if leveling survivors beyond 2 of the same level will change your startup RSL in challenges. It will change starting RSL for scavenge missions. What I have done in the past, is upgrade the Workshop, then begin upgrading good weapons and or gear for the next higher level survivors before I have any survivors to use them. During this time, I don't waste TG buying gear for current survivors. Once I have the gear for my 2 selected survivors to upgrade, I then try to get them upgraded before the next challenge starts, or soon after. When they get completed, they will fit right in to their new gear, and be at a higher level to boot! Doesn't change anything, if you level them up by the end of the challenge. Might even help if you get into the higher levels.
    Just my take on leveling up or not!

Just a reminder on community rewards such as the Tara gear. I didn't accept it yet, since I want to accept it after I upgrade my highest level shooter to the next higher level. Then I will accept the reward. Even though the gear doesn't have the best traits, it will still bring more XP if I choose to trash it.
    marie1980kamilowaty
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 3,041
    That being said: stay on a survivor level as long as you feel comfortable with it. Leveling up will take you farther but it will also increase the grind as the costs explode and the rewards you get don't increase accordingly (and the gas also doesn't).

So if there is not a certain goal you want to reach, it is not a bad idea to take your time and enjoy the ride. You are going to be chasing the next maximum council level with the next highest maximum survivor and gear level soon enough.
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you! If you are looking for a new guild, PM me.
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 1,087
    Jaden said:

But be aware that survivor level doesn't make you one of those bitter, crotchety end gamers - you need to have played the game for a long time, too, long enough to be fed up with all the shenanigans.

Also note: you can be crotchety and bitter even if you are not an end gamer. ;)

Oh I've been around this game all too long and am totally fed up with the shenanigans.

Jaden
  • CBgaming1969CBgaming1969 Member Posts: 1,359
    Everybody is different, and before the new challenge format I would have told you upgrade training grounds then workshop and upgrade your main challenge toons and gear as soon as you can...

Under the new challenge format you will be penalized for that...

The other factor will always be if you have better gear or better toons to upgrade...

No easy answer...but probably better to upgrade gear first and remember you can upgrade training grounds and not worry about upgrading any toons till you want to...
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402
    Jaden said:

But be aware that survivor level doesn't make you one of those bitter, crotchety end gamers - you need to have played the game for a long time, too, long enough to be fed up with all the shenanigans.

Also note: you can be crotchety and bitter even if you are not an end gamer. ;)

Less about game time I fear and more about forum time :wink:

I've always loved the "If they don't change it I'll quite" but 3 months later, it's still the same and the folks be still posting in the forums. Haha

(Sorry my bad, no disrespect to anyone. It's seen in forums all over the world for just about any game. Even seen/heard it in RL about work environments. 'If I don't get a pay raise next month I quit! Hey Rudy, you get your pay raise back in January you wanted? No, but I swear if I don't get one by June I'll quit!'.

So again, not disrespectful to anyone in the forums, just a general statement)
    Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

Jaden
  • shaunatthepubshaunatthepub Member Posts: 42
    I just upgraded my most used survivors to 22. I did the get high fast :D method up until now, but this round I plan to spend time catching up my neglected survivors.
    I've been caught more than once with on the featured heros. Trying to catch up on 3-4 levels at once so I can play a hero that is suddenly useful is costing a lot of xp and time.
  • VinsVins Member Posts: 39
    Great discussion, I am a new player and after going from 11 to 12 and getting a small setback, I have decided on the following approach:

Step 1, upgrade Council from 12 to 13 - This will give me a new game mode, and wont change my mission starting difficulty
    Step 2, upgrade weapons for key players
    Step 3, Upgrade other buildings,
    Finally train survivors to level 13

While this will avoid shock, it will ease farming / grinding, tho I realize I will want the higher level for better XP...

Any thoughts?

Vins.
    ShadowaceAzmarie1980
    I've always levelled up my main guys then upgraded their weapons, I'm definitely gonna do the upgrading weapons approach from now on thanks to advice I've been given. I've been playing this game for 18 months now,never too late to learn something new ☺,plus it's my first ever online game,a late starter in the gaming world so still learning as I go on.This forum is a massive help ☺☺
    ShadowaceAzDavid_H79DBonesmostlydead