Scout Trait Combination

I just pulled this guy. I'll hug him and squeeze him and call him George. Besides being relatively good looking and stylish he has an interesting combination of traits. I'm not hung up on Retaliate missing as I already have a really well traited Scout with it. So George is different from any of my other Scouts. To me it looks like he can stand next to a walker, dish out a bone splitting blow, and then stand there a take a heavy hit just in time to turn around and go on the offensive again. Interested in thoughts on this combination of traits.

George">
DBonesDLichTJSbigbeanoOneLessTitanSCBMAsbfCBgaming1969JenngJapes87

Comments

• DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,526
    I like him with a weapon that has Gold Interrupt, Gold Lethal & silver swift strike.

I agree your scout can take a pounding and dish one out also. Defensive stance only works on overwatch (which will work handily with interrupt. I would use that scout for farming outposts. That's typically what my scouts get used for.

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    DBonesCBgaming1969
  • DBonesDBones Member Posts: 800
    Love this trait combo! As I just noted in the warrior thread, I recently had a powerstrike epiphone thanks to other scout threads a few weeks back, and this guy looks solid. Overwatch, take a hit (which is ok with defensive stance), or maybe no hit if you have an interrupt weapon.....then, either way, destroy the dead prick with powerstrike (especially if you're charged up, with that Ruthless!). Awesome scout!
    Board-certified slayer of the dead
    Proud elder of Dead Stalkers
    DLichsbfJenng
  • JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,244
    This Scout would be great with the Pitchfork. That extra range can be very helpful to Overwatch striking a walker but being out of range from them to hit you. The next turn, BOOM, Power Strike.
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
    sbfJenng
  • CronusCronus Member Posts: 1,091
    JayZ said:

This Scout would be great with the Pitchfork. That extra range can be very helpful to Overwatch striking a walker but being out of range from them to hit you. The next turn, BOOM, Power Strike.

Yeah my thoughts exactly...however Kingdom Spear will have to do for now :wink:
    ShadowaceAz
  • sbfsbf Member Posts: 466
    @Cronus Damnnnnnnnnnn. Killer scout. I'm looking for a great defensive scout like this guy. Maybe swap strong for vigilant or dodge if I'm splitting hairs, but my plan is to do some damage reduction badges, damage badges, and possibly a crit damage badge, take some hits and dish it out too.
    JenngCronus
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    Jealous. My best scout has the same face and 3 of the same traits (Strong, Power Strike and Iron Skin) but no ruthless (Vigilant and Retaliate). I'd happily trade my Steven for your George; George's traits work better together. You abominable snowman, you..
    Cronus
  • DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 628
    I've got a similar scout, but rarely use her (more of a ranged guy) so dont really know how to use her appropriately, just been dumping tokens in her. Can anyone tell me the best way to use her and what badges to give her?

• MabikiMabiki Member Posts: 1,732
    edited April 2018
    @Deadheads

Use her to kill walkers mercilessly. Swift strike and threat reduction are the tried and true weapon traits to make great use of scouts. Run and stab, baby.

But Power Strike works especially well with Interrupt weapons and overwatch - like interrupting a fatty, then killing without moving on the next turn. With ruthless armor, your charged critical hits will be massive in those situations.

As for badges - I focus on damage and critical damage, ideally percentage-based since scouts have high damage to start. Throw on one or two flat health badges to make your scout a little sturdier, and you'll be in business.
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,399
    edited April 2018
    That right there is my unicorn power strike scout , congrats man .. badge and get some pink on him ASAP
    Mabiki said:

@Deadheads

Use her to kill walkers mercilessly. Swift strike and threat reduction are the tried and true weapon traits to make great use of scouts. Run and stab, baby.

But Power Strike works especially well with Interrupt weapons and overwatch - like interrupting a fatty, then killing without moving on the next turn. With ruthless armor, your charged critical hits will be massive in those situations.

As for badges - I focus on damage and critical damage, ideally percentage-based since scouts have high damage to start. Throw on one or two flat health badges to make your scout a little sturdier, and you'll be in business.

Thanks Mabiki. I guess defensive stance was the one throwing me off since you have to be in overwatch for it to activate. So I struggled between attacking enemies or going next to them and sitting in overwatch. What's the better way to go?
  • aaxt555aaxt555 Member Posts: 120
    @Deadheads move your scout to a few spaces away from the walker, but close enough for the walker to just reach you. The scout will overwatch strike, hopefully interrupt the walker, if you have it (or just tank the hit with iron skin and defensive stance). Then you power strike without moving.
    aaxt555 said:

@Deadheads move your scout to a few spaces away from the walker, but close enough for the walker to just reach you. The scout will overwatch strike, hopefully interrupt the walker, if you have it (or just tank the hit with iron skin and defensive stance). Then you power strike without moving.

Thanks aaxt555. Do you use this strategy in the weekly challenge? Versus one tough walker this makes perfect sense, but typically there's so many that you'd get hit by 3 or 4 which could really hurt. That's why I've always struggled with scouts (and melee in general) you seemed to get swarmed easily since you have to be close to them but you cant kill a bunch of them fast enough.
  • aaxt555aaxt555 Member Posts: 120
    @Deadheads it’s pretty rare I bring scouts into the challenge, but I’ve been focusing on getting all my survivors to max level (more farming, less challenge pushing). I use scouts a ton in outpost missions though, where I’m seeing tons of level 26 fatties while my scouts are all still level 21/22.
    ok, that makes sense then. My goal in the game now is getting 1k star in the challenge and beating hard distance so am trying to learn different strategies. One being Michonne + 2 scouts with TR. Still working on getting that setup but this scout didn't seem ideal for that strategy.
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,832
    edited April 2018
    @Deadheads Don't just use this scout the same way every turn. You don't have to use every trait every turn, some turns you might be more mobile and that's where strong, iron skin and retaliate will help you. Others you might need to play a little more defensive and that's where overwatch, defensive stance and power strike will help. Scouts are so versatile and that's why I love them, handy for when you need to peek round a corner, open crates or get to a door quickly.

My assault/scout are a good duo, one is for crowd control the other finishes any stragglers, deals with tanks and does most of the leg work :smile:

In terms of badges I would go with a blend to make her a nice all rounder. 2 damage reduction, 3 damage and 1 crit damage. If you can get her to about 40-50% when not in defensive stance that would be a nice base and on overwatch you will hit the 80% cap and she'll be a tank.
  • The_JerThe_Jer Member Posts: 291
    Maybe I'm not quite getting it. I understand the strategy - move near, but at least one space away and go into overwatch. You get the overwatch attack and either get hit, which is mitigated by iron skin and def stance or by using an interrupt weapon to stop the walker from attacking. Then power-strike activates for your next turn as long as you do not move and is a monster damage number. Where it breaks down for me is that it seems to be a strategy that works until body shots are the norm. Once you get to that point, interrupt does not work, and the damage you take is high. And isn't power-strike is also rendered useless when a body shot occurs?

The reason I ask, is because until body shots, my top scout (lvl 24, 1 pink) is already doing 35-40K on a charged crit (double ruthless, damage/crit damage badges) and can take out a +5 Spiked/Tank walker in one turn, without power strike, and taking no damage. Beyond +5, with near 100% body shot, I cannot get the scout charged to use ruthless/power-strike. Why expose my scout to harm using the strategy described?
  • SteeboonSteeboon Member Posts: 509
    That’s also the reason why melee are not really used at high levels unless heavily badged or melee week.
    Power strike is good imo as it deals additional damage on your turn even without the critical chance at high levels. With defensive stance and iron skin + a damage reduction or health badge most probably you won’t go into a immediate struggle and still help you complete the mission with two stars.
  • BoukephalosBoukephalos Member Posts: 263
    @Deadheads That's a pretty good scout for the style where you line up your melee toons in a row and wait on overwatch for the walkers to approach. There are some challenge missions where that works very well indeed, like Yard Work and Big Boss Man in Alexandria; since those challenges have no spawn/threat meter, you have all the time in the world to divide up the walkers and kill them individually. I can recall retreating 3 times around the van in Big Boss Man while a fattie and his associates chased my warrior/scout/scout team.

Scouts are particularly useful for drawing one walker out of a group; use the scout's first ap to move close enough to the pack to aggro one walker, then move her straight back to your team.
    The_Jer said:

Where it breaks down for me is that it seems to be a strategy that works until body shots are the norm.

It can keep working for some time after that, depending on the nature of the mission. Some ways to help:
    1. Arrange things so that only one walker attacks at a time, so that all 3 of your overwatching team can hit the one enemy.
    2. Arrange your team so that a meat shield takes the hit.
    3. Position your scout so that the walker stops beside them but doesn't attack (works with fences and some wall corners)