MASTER STAGE ~ What the Ultimate Challenge should have been

ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,531
I've had this idea for a while, but just been kicking it around trying to think of the "perfect pitch".

Sadly life and limited time getting in the way, so I'll just throw out there what I've got for you guys to love it or hate it.

PROBLEM #1 THE GRIND

it turns many away, but you cannot eliminate it, this is a grind-based game. many sheep love that grind and eliminating it will lose as many or more than keeping it.

The solution I have I've dubbed...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MASTER STAGE CHALLENGE

**Six stages, same as now, but one stage, called the "Master Stage" is much harder than the others

**Master Stage difficulty will be +5 higher than the other 5 missions
**Defeating each of the other 5 missions will systematically reduce the difficulty of the Master Stage by -1
**Defeating the Master Stage will earn you the Stars for itself, AND any unfinished other missions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this do?

Grind LOVERS can grind on the same as they do now without any real change at all, earning same rewards, same stars, same effort.

Grind HATERS can throw themselves at the FULL difficulty of the Master Stage to earn all the stars for one round all at once, progressing quickly to the highest difficulties if they choose.

There are flaws I've not worked out, like if the master stage were the same one mission every round that could be abused and get boring, so might be better if it rotated each round or was randomly chosen?

Anyway @Kaz @Shteevie and everyone, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Happy Hunting!

~BG

[EDIT - this could easily be the end of Round Passes as well]
Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
EMAIL US --> [email protected]
deb1hdmack22ekimhclewromeoBigwil11ScowleyRanger85ShadowaceAzAzrulmorbidMadPuppyKudukDanielBezTroublemakerCaptainslayerHuttSlayer23DBonesbladgierTJSJenngiamedgel2wannabekkatsuT_storm69DLichSCBMAJapes87TatdJdmBill_ZRTbuchizombiebreathSlowMoPutchucoSPC_TORRESGovernatorpradiKazJayZCarlsRightEyeWaltz46n2SlickRickkamilowatyFester17mik81MischaBloodyChainsawpsychwolfWahooDawgMrsScattercushionmsapaevden4playccmOzzy99BWilsDoTakEdd8NarniasligoemRenopwnsvshield50WhoareyouNezoanthony172JoeSmartJTannerRiotZappaaquilaTripod

Comments

• Bigwil11Bigwil11 Member Posts: 8
    I think it's a great plan, it is a bit weird that if i don't boost and skip the distance , i still can't get max stars??? So less grind , i will love that..
    romeoATLAS-Z
  • AzrulmorbidAzrulmorbid Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 7
    Love the idea. However...the cost in gas of the master stage should reflect the cost of saving 5 maps...meaning 20 to 25 gas.
    Could be a very effective way of taking the grind out. Then players could always do maps one by one to benefit from more rewards.

As an extension of this idea, it would be great to have a sim button for say 4 to 5 scavenger missions at a time, available when you have 3stared it 3 or 5 times in a row at a given difficulty. In short, wake up in the morning, hit the button, get 5 times the rewards and off to work!
    Renopwns
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,402

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE MASTER STAGE CHALLENGE

**Six stages, same as now, but one stage, called the "Master Stage" is much harder than the others

**Defeating each of the other 5 missions will systematically reduce the difficulty of the Master Stage by -1
    **Defeating the Master Stage will earn you the Stars for itself, AND any unfinished other missions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~BG

Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

T_storm69DLichATLAS-Z
  • ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,531
    Glad you guys like it. Thanks for the support.
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    JenngekimhclewTroublemakerromeo
  • Japes87Japes87 Member Posts: 1,398
    Great idea @BiggyGuyinTWD
    I still feel like optional round passes would be a very easy fix , but this is some outside the box thinking and I would totally support it
    ekimhclewATLAS-ZromeoKick_ass
    Best thing we can do is keep talking about it.

Providing constructive feedback and ideas to game team is our best chance for change.

This idea might not work, and the next one will... Let's keep the wheels turning.
    mack22KazromeoBill_ZRT
  • DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,048
    As @Azrulmorbid mentioned, there'd have to be a fix to balance out gas cost of 1 mission (4-5 gas) versus 6 missions (24-30 gas).

And as for your concern about the same mission being the Master Stage all the time, I think that having the same one be it all the time is the fair way to do it.

Some people would complain when they get the hardest map as the Master Stage and others continue to get the easier ones. If the Master Stage is the same all the way through, everyone is on an even playing field and no one can call foul/unfair RNG/NG screwing me because I didn't spend money/whatever other conspiracy theory that emanates from the tin foil hat brigade.

IMO boring repetition is the lesser of two evils when compared to perceived unfairness.
    "I always say, if you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips." -Birgitte Silverbow, The Fires of Heaven, The Wheel of Time

"Death is lighter than a feather. Duty, heavier than a mountain." - al'Lan Mandragoran, The Great Hunt, The Wheel of Time
    ATLAS-Zmack22romeoRenopwns
    edited April 2018
    I had considered gas in my initial pitch, but I decided augmenting gas wasn't really necessary.

Charging 20+ gas for one mission is not wise for NGs for several reasons, one being it puts players in game way too little. That seldom playing can easily turn into not playing as you too frequently find other things to do.

I don't think it would cause too much imbalance. Players are quickly collecting stars in the beginning, and some personal rewards more quickly, in the beginning, but these players will be high end players needing exponential amounts of resources so a few early rewards happening quicker won't be too big an issue.

My original pitch for gas, if one is needed (again I don't think it is) included this...

**MASTER STAGE GAS COST WILL BE +5 HIGHER THAN THE OTHER 5 MISSIONS
    **Defeating each of the other 5 missions will systematically reduce the difficulty of the Master Stage by -1, AND REDUCE THE GAS COST BY -1
    **Defeating the Master Stage will earn you the Stars for itself, AND any unfinished other missions
    ShadowaceAzromeo
  • TroublemakerTroublemaker Member Posts: 1,207
    #fixthegrind
    ::
    Mavericks Guild Family
  • nadecirnadecir Member Posts: 242
    There's a reason why the most player friendly version of the ultimate challenge was not made permanent. You can bet it had to do with the revenue NG gets from the challenges. We can design a new challenge system again and again, but if NG is not sure they won't make more money off it they won't ever consider it.

NG's CEO mentioned that they moved more developers off this game in the first quarter. It's beginning to look like any major changes like this have little chance of making into this game's roadmap.

The number of players and the revenue NG is making from this game has declined significantly in the last year. None of this is good news for us players going forward.

They will milk the remaining players for any revenue they can. Player retention does not seem to be that important to NG.
    TroublemakerromeoDrhooRenopwns
  • SleeperyJeemSleeperyJeem Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2018
    Cool idea, but once you are running 5 gas a mission, you wouldn’t have enough stored to run the master mission most of the time. And if you mess it up, you’re out of gas for hours. It would be nice for the first 5 rounds maybe.

It would be kind of hilarious on a free gas booster though. This plus round passes gets you hundreds of stars in just a few minutes,
  • Jack_SladeJack_Slade Member Posts: 13
    That idea is great. A very intelligent way to balance out both sides. Bravo @BiggyGuyinTWD
    ekimhclewromeoATLAS-Z
  • Waltz46n2Waltz46n2 Member Posts: 21
    Great suggestion! Works great for people who enjoy the grind or extra rewards. Works great for the people who want to get to the higher levels faster. Maybe the rewards for the master level could be higher. Lots of little details to figure out but i like the way its heading!
    ekimhclewmack22romeoATLAS-Z
  • morbis02morbis02 Member Posts: 47
    How about let us just pick our starting round, if we complete it we get the stars for all the rounds below that but no rewards and can then continue from there gaining rewards. Let those of us who want to just start at 30.1 and be done still contribute to our guild
    TroublemakerTheRealSavageKick_ass
  • mik81mik81 Member Posts: 360
    Anything to #fixthegrind
    ATLAS-ZKick_assTroublemaker
    @kaz or mods can you love this to suggestions? Thanks!
    Kaz