2500 gold components crate vs. 2000 gold crate - cheaper is better?

DrUnpleasantDrUnpleasant Member Posts: 573
So the current 'mid tier' options during this event are:

2500 gold:
  • 1 random legendary component (16% chance of badge frag)
  • 25 random components
2000 gold:
  • 1 Epic Badge fragment
  • 2 random epic components (2 x 16% chance, so 32% chance of another Epic badge)
  • 20 random components
Taking the random components out (as the 20 and 25 scale with gold symmetrically)...

To my eye, the guarantee of 1 x Epic badge frag gives you a 70% chance of an Epic badge, and 6% chance of a Legendary badge - not to mention 2 Epic components (2 x 16% chance of badge frag = 32% chance overall). Mean average of 1.32 epic badges per person.

That to me seems better than the 1 x 16% chance of a badge frag you get from the 2500 chest. Averaging 0.16 leg badge fragments per person (then the lottery of whether you actually get a Leg badge...). Anyone disagree?

Comments

• DLichDLich Member Posts: 5,541
    edited July 2018
    Could you imagine spending 2500 gold, getting 26 pieces and none of them being a badge fragment?

Here's how I see it. In both options you get "randoms" at a rate of 1 per 100 gold
    25 randoms for 2500 gold + 1 random legendary component
    20 randoms for 2000 gold + 2 random epic components & 1 epic badge fragment

I'd go with the 2K gold option between these two but that's just me.

The randoms cost the same; so it matters only which one you prefer (1 leg or 3 epic)

| OG | NOC | USA | UK | CA | CQR | UC | RAD | ZEN |
    Other Leaders | Kick_ass | Pic | abailey362 | GunnerGaz | JMo2127 |
    MAVERICK'S 1 Million Star Club | OG | USA | NOC
    Analyze This with ALF4reals | v1 | v2 | v3 |
    | My YouTube Videos | My 1st Interview | Best Analogy Award!! |

Freemium... the "mium" is latin for 'not really'
    DrUnpleasant
  • DrUnpleasantDrUnpleasant Member Posts: 573
    Very much that. I'd far rather spend 500 gold less and have an average chance of 1.32 epic badge fragments rather than 0.16 legendary badge fragments for sure - especially as most people seem to have a lot more components than badge frags.
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 2,851
    If you get some good RNG those crates can be awesome. But I've watched the results from some of Painwalker's videos and after seeing that I could never spend that amount of gold on mostly 2/3* components (Not that I ever have 2k gold to spend even if I wanted to :cry:).