When to retire a survivor

DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
When is the best time to retire a survivor?

My plan, so far, has been to use my low level survivors on deadly missions. It would be okay to lose them there since I'm ready to let them go anyway and they have a chance of getting better equipment. But they keep surviving so I figure why trash a person who is being useful?

The thing is, they won't be useful much longer because I'm running out of things I can do with them. There isn't much left at their level. Maybe there would be if there was a weekly challenge but there isn't yet. So I should just retire them and hope the radio brings in someone better? Actually, I would make the radio call then decide if I keep or retire someone.

From what I'm reading, the radio is more likely to get a better survivor than picking up someone in the game. The last person I picked up in the game wasn't worth getting rid of any of the people that I already have.

I'm just wondering how people decide when to retire a survivor. Player level 20 here. (Can I call myself an advanced beginner?)

Comments

• blynknzblynknz Member Posts: 1,988
    They retire when you find a better Survivor to replace it with.
    So if you do a radio call, then replace them then.
    But just work out what ones. If you have a rare scout and get a higher level epic, it might not be best to automatically retire that scout, due to weapons available/traits unlocked.
  • DreadDread Member Posts: 450
    I retire when I have a suitable replacement.
    there is no reason to retire them until then, as having 3 of each type makes for better chances at "good" daily quests.

after following this formula for a while, you'll find you have a viable lineup with plenty of backups when needed.
    As I witness the death of innocence... A predator feeding on its creation.
    Through the fallout of this hallucination, I walked into darkness.
    I must not surrender my god to anyone, or this body will become carrion.
    One step closer to my fate. One step closer to my grave.
    Lynz4texmisfit44drglow
  • DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    Thanks! I appreciate hearing how others manage things.

I decided to get over myself and make a radio call. The first one was meh, nothing I didn't have already so I made another one. and I got an epic bruiser! I know some of you guys don't like bruisers but I'm happy to get an epic anything.
  • AysatyoPetAysatyoPet Member Posts: 1,168
    if you can, spend your gold only on survivor slot until you have maxed your slot.. this will make you retire less survivors.. and just keep those you usually use and those you think you can use for other purposes.

if you can, spend your gold only on survivor slot until you have maxed your slot.. this will make you retire less survivors.. and just keep those you usually use and those you think you can use for other purposes.

• DaleDale Member Posts: 1,122
    What is the max number of survivor slots?
    before, its 20.. but after the 1.6 update, some says they can go further.. maybe 25 now, or more..

• DreadDread Member Posts: 450
    18 will give you enough for 3 of each, you really don't have any need for more right now and other than quests.... No need for that many now. Lol
    As I witness the death of innocence... A predator feeding on its creation.
    Through the fallout of this hallucination, I walked into darkness.
    I must not surrender my god to anyone, or this body will become carrion.
    One step closer to my fate. One step closer to my grave.
  • Neil_JNeil_J Member Posts: 1,873
    I've got 12 slots. I only keep 1 Bruiser and 1 Scout atm. Msybe I'll increase these at a later point. So that leaves 2 assault, 3 warriors, 3 hunters and 2 shooters virtually all at lvl 15.
    I only retire survivors when I have a better replacement. I see no point in doing it any other way.
    “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option.” (Bob Marley)
    [Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.