Challenge Balance Test - Let's make this together!

Comments

• ATLAS-ZATLAS-Z Member Posts: 2,015
    @Drhoo most refer to grind as the low easy boring levels
    Are you Lost? Alone? Looking for a killer team to have your back?
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Remember, search ZOMBREX SATISFIES. Check us out HERE
  • DrhooDrhoo Member Posts: 44
    Not bored and meant all levels
  • warlordfwarlordf Member Posts: 220
    edited November 2018
    well imagine this,

you go to a very nice restaurant and you pay a fix price and have 2 options:

1 until you get to the best meat you are forced to eat the ones you dont want too ( challenge we have)

2 you can choose where to start and reject the ones you dont like (challenge some of us want)
    crambert_nec
  • warlordfwarlordf Member Posts: 220
    yep, leave restaurant like quit playing but guess this post is exactly to avoid that... lets see if anything changes for better which is not the option @Danski_46 suggested :P
    Yeah someone mentioned it earlier, but it warrants repeating @JayZ
    Join ZOMBREX! We have a tiered guild structure so players of every level and ambition can find a home they fit in.
    Mystiqueromeoafroponix
  • huskersoxfanhuskersoxfan Member Posts: 183
    Love it!

Really, anything but this roller coaster going back and forth. Be careful, don’t get many round passes, or watch people pass you by that normally finish well behind you, all because you start at a higher level...and oh by the way, that means fewer rewards for you and your Guild.

Hopefully something constructive can come from this, that will be middle ground for end gamers and beginners alike.
    Proud Elder with Badger Hounds
    1RisJenngKasimir
  • JenngJenng Member Posts: 2,838

And I kinda love ya @Bill_ZRT. When do we start this shit?
    Bill_ZRTJadenTroublemakerSPC_TORRESGovernatorbigbeano
    So let it be said...

...So let it be done.
    aafr99
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    Interesting idea @Bill_ZRT I could live with that. I might be missing something though.

Why would a player start at the minimum available rsl for after mission crates alone?
    Wouldn't one find higher rewards in scavenge missions than low lvl challenge missions?

Also if you are able to advance to the maximum possible start level & get all previous possible stars and rewards, wouldn't many low/mid lvl players just be able to do nothing in challenges and claim rewards?

Again, maybe I have misunderstood something but it's an interesting suggestion.
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    afroponix
  • Danski_46Danski_46 Member Posts: 517
    Some great ideas being put forward here. One that I've thought of is making round passes available in the shop, purchasable with either gold or tg in 5 or 10 bundles.
    TCBRITOafroponix
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,331
    @TJS fair questions.
    TJS said:

Why would a player start at the minimum available rsl for after mission crates alone?

Wouldn't one find higher rewards in scavenge missions than low lvl challenge missions?

I agree that I would personally rather spend my gas on scavange missions for better rewards, but time and time again I hear some players say they don’t want to lose or miss out on rewards. I have also heard players say that they like lower level missions as it lets them plan out strategies for the higher RSLs. This addresses both of those concerns.
    TJS said:

Also if you are able to advance to the maximum possible start level & get all previous possible stars and rewards, wouldn't many low/mid lvl players just be able to do nothing in challenges and claim rewards?

Again, maybe I have misunderstood something but it's an interesting suggestion.

This is why I would have the maximum starting RSL based on the max level achieved. In my example I suggested that maybe this would be your last RSL - 5. So if a low/mid level player made it to RSL 20 last week, the max they could start at this week would be RSL 15. If they did nothing beyond that this week, next week their max starting RSL would be 10 and so on. If this isn’t enough of a deterrent, there could be a rule in place that you can only ‘skip’ as many levels as you complete. So with the example I just used above, if a player made it to RSL 20 last week, the max they could start at this week would be RSL 15. If they did nothing beyond that this week, next week their max starting RSL would be the minimum starting RSL because they didn’t actually play any levels. I think this makes the situation a bit more complicated than it has to be and would try it to implement without this and see how it goes.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

TJSmimicaJenng
  • ShadowaceAzShadowaceAz Member Posts: 3,391
    @Kaz
    I will hold tongue and provide feedback as tests are run, I simply wish to remind you of a gentleman's famous words:

Descensus in cuniculi cavum
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    Concordia

WellyLugaSPC_TORRESwarlordf
  • tdiddytdiddy Member Posts: 355
    i will gladly start at rsl 1 each week i enjoy the game, breaks up boredom of work, give me the option.....
    next week starting rsl is going to suck with crazy scores/round passes.
    1RisATLAS-Z
  • Marcus6253Marcus6253 Member Posts: 177
    @Bill_ZRT Some tweaks to your suggestions
    1) Remove round passes; they will no longer be needed with this new method.
    2) You start at any level you want with no limit based on number of rounds you completed the week before.
    3) Only when you get 18 stars on the level you start at do you receive all stars for the levels you skipped. If you cannot get 18 stars on the level you chose then you made a bad choice and you only get the stars you earned for that level. In other words don't start at level 32 if you can't get 18 stars at level 32.
    4) Once you get all 18 stars for your start level and earn stars for previous levels you didn't run you get all rewards associated with those stars plus the stars contribute to the guild total. So if everyone in the guild starts at a high level it will be raining rewards on the first day once everyone gets their 18 stars for the level.

You miss out on after mission crate rewards but you don't spend gas for the missions; in my way of thinking this is a break even. Note, I am end gamer who occasionally spends money on boosters. I can currently complete level 31.2 with six starts and lots of healing.

I am not a fan of giving people unearned stars but it is my experience that if you can get through a level with all 18 stars you can most likely get through all the previous levels with 18 stars too.

@Kaz
    This method should reduce the grind for end gamers and those who can reach high levels since they can start where the challenge gets interesting. It should also require limited developer time since the only thing changed is allowing the user to pick their starting level and then accumulating stars once they get 18 on the current level. Eliminating round passes will also require developer time but could simplify the overall challenge code.
    jimmorrison3691RisTJSafroponix
  • Bill_ZRTBill_ZRT Member Posts: 1,331

@Bill_ZRT Some tweaks to your suggestions
    1) Remove round passes; they will no longer be needed with this new method.
    2) You start at any level you want with no limit based on number of rounds you completed the week before.
    3) Only when you get 18 stars on the level you start at do you receive all stars for the levels you skipped. If you cannot get 18 stars on the level you chose then you made a bad choice and you only get the stars you earned for that level. In other words don't start at level 32 if you can't get 18 stars at level 32.
    4) Once you get all 18 stars for your start level and earn stars for previous levels you didn't run you get all rewards associated with those stars plus the stars contribute to the guild total. So if everyone in the guild starts at a high level it will be raining rewards on the first day once everyone gets their 18 stars for the level.

@Marcus6253 - thanks for the comments.

1) Yes, in this model round passes go away. The ability to choose your starting round and get the stars for the skipped rounds replaces round passes.
    2) I like enforcing a minimum and maximum starting level because NG has repeatedly voiced that getting rewards for free isn't something they are willing to do. This ensures that a player must play each week if they want to start at the same RSL as last week.
    3) I don't mind this at all. You could certainly impose a minimum number of rounds/maps to play in order to claim the stars for the rounds that were skipped.
    Everyone’s got two wolves inside them. One is anger, envy, pride. The other…truth, kindness. Every day they tear each other apart.
    But it’s not the better wolf that wins. It’s the one you feed.

Contact [email protected] or send @Bill_ZRT a message to join DTP today!

1Ris
  • PigBenisPigBenis Member Posts: 1,020
    The one truly SIMPLE solution has been suggested by me and likely others before but nobody is listening, but I'll say it again just in case someone higher up cares this time:

EACH OF THE 6 MAPS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO PLAY AT ANY DIFFICULTY (level 15?-45?) FROM THE START AND IN ANY ORDER - Want to play map 1 from levels 15-33 before moving on to map 2...fine. Want to play map 3 @ level 35 and then go play map 6 @ level 25 and then map 4 at level 29...fine. Want to test out your level 20 survivors against level 40 walkers for shits and giggles at the end of the challenge...you go girl!

REMOVE ROUND PASSES - they won't be needed in this format.

EACH SET OF 6 MAPS COMPLETED AT THE SAME DIFFICULTY GIVES YOU A REWARD(S) BASED ON THAT DIFFICULTY

MAPS AT ANY DIFFICULTY MAY BE REPEATED ONLY ONCE FOR THE SAME/A DIFFERENT REWARD

HAVE TIERED REWARDS FOR EACH SET COMPLETION - Complete all 6 maps @ difficulty 30 with less than 12 stars and get 25K XP, 12-16 stars and get 35K XP, 17-18 stars and get 50K XP for example. Do the same with class/hero tokens, supplies, gear, radios, components at high levels, etc.

This is truly a "choose your own story" type challenge and NOBODY would be able to bitch about it, since a player would select their own maps and difficulty each time. I'm not sure how much work this would be from a developer standpoint but I believe it is THE answer.
    Black Labs Matter.
    Fingerfoodsligoem
  • tdiddytdiddy Member Posts: 355
    anything being done with starting rsl for next week? some of us will have 25 or more round passes, dont want to start at rsl 40. just food for thought
  • DrhooDrhoo Member Posts: 44
    Don't change anything, just stop changing rules every few weeks
    Get a better reward-balance
    And introduce new contents, chapters now and then (More than 170 episodes to choose from)
    Fingerfood
  • huskersoxfanhuskersoxfan Member Posts: 183
    Thanks Kaz!

As usual, you are a voice of sanity!

Really good suggestions in this thread regarding the “grind”

Are NG looking at anything like these?

You rock bud! Now I can limber up the mace and bow staff!
    Proud Elder with Badger Hounds
    Carly
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,119
    Amazing news and another good move by NG! Once again listening to the players! my suggestion to the round pass issue was to do something like fight it out with charged assaults next week but this is much better.
  • red111red111 Member Posts: 458
    Thank you @Kaz !
    Kaz
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 941
    edited November 2018
    So when we talk about balance does that mean major bruiser Nerf coming this week? These mofos are like gods now. Three bruisers is all I need now.
    Runners_0648BWils