Forcing Round Pass usage penalizes low level players and discourages us challenging ourselves

I started playing a week and a half ago. I bought myself full gas for a day and pushed myself in the challenge, netting 341 stars.

Now we are at the next challenge. I am level 15 and all my survivors are maxed for my level, at level 7. I haven't unlocked Warrior or Assault.

But because Round Passes are forced, not a choice, it starts me at Round 6, difficulty 9.

This means that, at my starting level, it is difficult or impossible for me to 3 star any of the challenge missions. It means that fighting just one battle leaves me with one or more injured heroes, and at this level my hospital beds are maxed out at 2.

There is absolutely no reason to buy gas this time around because I can't even get through the gas I have. I'm getting stalled just starting the challenge, and I can't see any way I'll even come close to getting the stars I made last week. Getting double stars doesn't matter much if you are forced to start so high up that you struggle to get 3 stars on the fights.

It feels like I'm being penalized for having challenged myself to try difficult levels in the previous week's challenge. I don't know if the Round Passes balance out better at higher levels only, but they are awful for someone just starting out.

Or am I being penalized for starting later than most, for being low level? Do you want to push new players away?

It is not fun or inspiring to be forced to start at a level that is quite difficult, and which makes it nearly impossible for to repeat past performance. The Round Passes, in my case, are not a perk, but a punishment.

Please, at the very least, make using the Round Passes optional. That would greatly improve the low level experience.

I was enjoying the game, but this is highly frustrating. I've been playing The Walking Dead: Our World for months. Our World does a great job balancing play for both lower and higher levels, so I was expecting that from this game too, since it's also by Next Games Oy. I am disappointed that this game doesn't balance nearly as well.

Comments

• deb1hddeb1hd Member Posts: 332
    you should concentrate more on the story missions. and the season missions at this point in the game. not so much the challenge. that's how you unlock your warriors and assaults.
    TCBRITOanthony172
  • nettiKanettiKa Member Posts: 3
    I'm not sure I'll stick around, honestly. These sort of balance issues make the game a whole lot less appealing and fun. I prefer to put whatever time, attention, and/or money I spent into games that are better balanced.

I wish they'd fix this though, because the game does seem to have a lot of good things going for it. I searched around and while others may have different reasons, I am not the only player frustrated at the inability to decline use of Round Passes. Being able to choose not to use them would greatly improve the experience for some players, and I don't see any way that it would hurt anyone else.
    bladgierBill_ZRT
  • sligoemsligoem Member Posts: 306
    @nettiKa welcome to the game and the forum! Not to speak for @bladgier but he agreed with you and offered some sound advice. Players from the beginning who reached advanced levels before round passes were introduced benefit from your perspective. We all want new players to join the game and have a positive experience. Hope you give NG a chance to respond. @Kaz
    TCBRITO
  • zbotzbot Legendary Moderator Posts: 6,168
    @nettiKa my alt is similar to your situation, take the time to do the season missions to unlock the Governor. Governor makes all the difference.

Also find your self a good learning guild for strategy. That makes all the difference.

Good luck!
    TJSCronusSPC_TORRES
  • ShadowWalkerShadowWalker Member Posts: 29
    I am just going to add that I agree the use of Round Passes should be optional, or that we should be able to save them and use them later if we like.

However, like everyone else is saying your priority should be playing story mode and season missions anyway.
    nettiKa
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 1,477
    Even if that's the case on lower lvl and system there might be not optimal then bear in mind, being low lvl is temporary.

Being maxed isn't, once ou get there you're there and that's it.

So what I'm saying is that you will appreciate the system when you'll level up.
    nettiKacrambert_nec
  • bladgierbladgier Member Posts: 1,477
    Using round passes could be optional though.

If you wish to use them, then use them and that's it.

If you wouldn't wanna use them, then don't and loose all round passes earned. Start from lowest lvl according to your survivor lvl. Earn round passes from the beginning.

I think that wouldn't interfere the game mechanics in any way.
    nettiKa
  • nettiKanettiKa Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for the advice and feedback. I apologize for the tone in my last post; that was frustration speaking.

An Update:
    I took all but the last 24 hours of the current Challenge to level up my camp, play Season challenges, and level my heroes as much as possible, getting most up to level 9.

I then pushed as hard as I could in the Challenge. In doing so, I ate through most of my gold healing my survivors, due to limited time and the fact that it was hard to complete any challenge without ripping my survivors to shreds.

I did not spend any gold healing my survivors the first week playing challenges.

Challenge Stars my 1st week, without passes: 343

Challenge Stars this week: 260

The difference in cost (gold for healing and a great deal of frustration) coupled with the difference in stars that I was able to contribute to my Guild really does make the Challenge Passes feel like a penalty.

With the story missions, I'm stuck on Mission 4 in level 7. It is difficulty 12 and I can't figure out any way to survive it with any combination of survivors. I guess it will still be a while before I unlock Warrior or Assault. :(

/ nettiK-a :: a-Kitten
    gndria
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,115
    At your level you should be in a low stress guild without much or if any star requirement. If you're feeling pressured into getting more stars than you're capable of then it's going to ruin your enjoyment of the game. Focus on the other game modes, save your gold and just get what you can in the challenge time/injury permitting.

Same with the story missions, sometimes the combination of survivors or your gear isn't the problem, it's just your level. Build up your camp, level your survivors to 10/11 and try again :smile:
    Forever Wild Walking B)
    imacharlie
  • gndriagndria Member Posts: 3
    I would like to "like" every comment here. I too am highly in favor of optional round passes for other reasons than you mention. I really can see how it affects you badly, at lower levels you get more stars from getting 3 star on each level (18) compared to the amount for completing the lower levels (from your first post it was 9). For me it is the other way round - I get more from completing the round.

Others are right that you'd probably get better success completing other parts of the game, but you should be able to play all parts of the game if you want to.
  • tdiddytdiddy Member Posts: 321
    im willing to be forced by round passes............... you dont score until you score