Guild Wars Q&A

ShteevieShteevie Staff Posts: 1,335
Hello, survivors! The first Guild Wars event has come and gone, and we’re just as excited as the community to see that it’s finally live!

We’re already working to fix as many issues as we can. The next update will come to you towards the start of the second half of the Walking Dead’s season 9, and most of the work in that update is centered around making Guild Wars a better, smoother experience.

We have gotten a lot of questions about specific details, so here are the most popular questions and some additional information. Most of this is already stated in past developer interviews or in the game itself, but having answers in one place makes it easier to refer to. Enjoy, and we’ll see you on December 29 for the second War!

A Few New Terms
  • Season: An 8-week period during which Wars are played every other weekend. Each Season has new Victory Point (VP) scores starting from 0 for each guild, and new rewards in the Guild Shop.
  • War: a weekend-long event during which Guild Wars Battles can be played.
  • Battle: a single match between 2 Guilds. Battles last for 50 minutes, and can start once per hour at ??:00 UTC.
  • Key: Used to participate in a Battle. Players get 3 keys per day during a War.
  • Guild War Gas [GW Gas]: Used to play missions in a Battle. Players get Gas at the start of every season, from Challenge and Distance rewards, and from the shop. Unused GW Gas is never lost.
  • Sector: A location during the battle, such as “Forest North” or “Sanctuary East”
  • Enemy: A player from the opposing Guild that must be found and defeated before the Sector can be complete. Forest Sectors have 3 Enemies, Junkyard Sectors have 5, and Sanctuary Sectors have 7.
  • Area: The missions associated with one Enemy. Forest Sectors have 4 missions per Area, Junkyard and Sanctuary Sectors have 6.
  • Search [PvE] Mission: A mission where the players face walkers and not human enemies. Completing a Search Mission can reveal the Enemy for that Area of the Sector.
  • Enemy [PvP] Mission: A mission where you face the Survivors that belong to a member of the opposing Guild.
    Victory points [VP]: Points earned by completing missions in a Guild Wars Battle. The Guild with more VP at the end of the Battle wins, and receives a multiplier to their points. The sum of all VP accumulated throughout the whole Season determines a Guild’s Tier. VP reset to zero at the start of each new Season.
  • Reward Points [RP]: The other currency earned by completing missions in a Guild Wars Battle. They do not determine the winner of the Battle, but are also increased by a multiplier for the Guild that wins the Battle. They are used to claim rewards like tokens and equipment from the Guild Shop. Unspent RP are lost at the start of each new Season.
Getting the Top Rewards
VP rewards are higher for battles between Guilds with more highly-leveled Survivors, and the prizes for victory increase in higher Tiers. Because of all of these, the rate of VP earnings will very likely increase with the next Wars.

Enemy Survivor Teams
Very few players use the Outpost management tools to set up their best defense, and Guild Wars focuses on the act of attacking and out-performing the opponents. These are the main reasons why the selection of Survivors for Guild Wars enemies is automatic.
  • Each member of the Guild [not just those participating in the Battle] supplies the same number of teams for the other Guild to face. The easiest teams are used for the Forest Sectors, and the hardest teams are stationed in the Sanctuary Sectors.
  • The level and rarity of the survivors is most important. We select the highest-level survivors with the most stars. If there is a tie among many survivors of different classes, the choice among them is random.
  • Heroes are selected over Survivors with the same level and rarity.
  • A random Hero in the team is used for the Leader position. The Hero trait applies to the whole team.
    Badges also have full effect for your survivors.
  • The Weapon and Armor with the highest base stat [damage or defense] for that class is used for each survivor on the team. Weapons and armors can be shared across many teams.
It should be expected that teams of survivors in the Forest are lower rarity than those found in the Junkyard or Sanctuary. Inactive Guild members may be sending teams of lower-level survivors to fight in the Forest, but they are likely easy to defeat.

GW Gas
Guild Wars Gas is available throughout the game for all players to collect or earn for free from the following locations:
  • 5 GW Gas at the start of each season*
  • 5 used GW Gas refunded after every Battle
  • 10 GW Gas collected from the Distance on Tuesday before the War begins*
  • 10 GW Gas collected from the Saturday Distance
  • 20 GW Gas from personal Star rewards in the Challenge during Guild War weeks*
[* These values were different for the very first War event]

This totals to around 300 GW Gas per player in each Season. Players who want more GW Gas can find it by visiting the shop or restarting the Distance; or in new offers, bundles, and rewards that will be released in the future.

Keys are limited in order to keep each Battle important to your overall VP score, and also to limit the maximum benefit which can be gained from spending money on GW Gas. We want a fair system, where all players can do well and earn rewards.

The GW Gas refund is crucial to keeping all players in the fight for the whole season. No one is ever totally out of GW Gas at the start of a Battle, and a late-joining player can still have a chance to use that 5 GW Gas even with only 10 minutes in the Battle remaining. This can be the difference between victory and defeat!

Guilds of Different-Level Players
While Challenge offers players of all levels to collectively succeed and earn rewards, Guild Wars is about direct conflict, and therefore the levels of different players’ characters are more important. Guilds with a wide spread of levels among their members will have a range of experiences; the top players will find missions easy but not as rewarding, and the lower players may have a tough time completing missions outside of the Forest Sectors.

The most direct way of bringing these experiences more in line is for the lowest-level members of a Guild to level-up their camps and survivors. Consider training or retiring your low-level, unused survivors. Use the Normal Distance and Hard Scavenges on non-Challenge days to progress your building upgrades quickly. When playing in a Battle as a mixed-level guild, consider sending the top players on to the Junkyard as soon a possible, and leaving some missions in the Forest for the lower-level players to complete. Everything you do to improve your teams will make those survivors harder to beat in Guild Wars.

Group Resources
Players have asked if they can donate their GW Gas and Keys, but this is not something we have in the plans. We cannot add these features unless we can be certain that players cannot use them in deceptive or illegal ways, as has happened in the past with similar features. We do want to make group activities, purchases, or events that can reward GW gas, however, so those may be coming in future updates.

Guild Shop Offers
The Guild Shop is new and full of great rewards that will be unlocked as players get to new tiers.
  • Guild Shop Prices do not change from Tier to Tier or War to War, so there is no price advantage in claiming rewards immediately. It is awesome to use them right away in the next Battle, however.
  • The most expensive item, the Legendary Chainsaw, is 3000 RP
  • Many of the token offers can be claimed several times, so you can actually get many times more tokens from the Guild Shop than you might think at first.
  • Several of the offers, like the GW Gas, can be claimed again after each new War starts.
  • Offers add up over the whole season, and everyone gets the same number of offers.
Scheduling and Organizing
Playing with others is thrilling, motivating, and rewarding, but requires coordinating and organizing.

The conditions surrounding Guild Wars battles are all set in order to make organizing Battles as easy as possible while still balanced and fun. Weekend events are very important to help the largest number of players play together at once. Players are encouraged to look for groups or times when more people can participate together. For example, we see an increase of Guilds searching for Battles around 12:00-20:00 UTC. This is when players in North America and most of Europe are all awake at the same time.

As we collect data and feedback, we may alter these settings once we can be confident that doing so will improve the experience. For the next War [starting on December 29], we will use the same values as before. Some changes and fixes are already in place to fix some bugs, and we need to verify their effects.

Tl;dr
  • Master Tier and the rewards are totally achievable - don’t give up too soon!
  • VP and RP reward multipliers increase in higher Tiers.
  • VP rewards increase for higher-difficulty Battles
  • Long-inactive Guild members may be giving your Guild War opponents easy enemies to defeat.
  • Level up your team and build up your camp to improve your rewards, match quality, and chances to win Battles.
  • Collect GW Gas from Challenge & Distance, and look for more offers and gas rewards in the game as time goes on.
  • Some Guild Shop offers, like GW Gas, add a stock when new Wars start.
  • Consider merging Guilds with others to form a full team and work together to succeed in Guild Wars!
Development Team Member - The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
Please note: Development is a fluid process, and suggestions and implementation take time and iteration. Any discussion of future features, deadlines, updates, balance changes, and such should be considered prospective and subject to change.
JayZJenngKazGeneral_Pain1RisTheCrabSPC_TORRESDanski_46CarlyTJSHuttSlayer23SmokeandMirrorsbladgierBWilsMrsScattercushionZetteMrLuckyGovernatorzbotRenopwnsFOEtrumptonSCBMA

Comments

• JayZJayZ Member Posts: 3,043
    Thanks @Shteevie! Passed this along to our guild family. I'm sure they'll find it helpful :)
    Elder in Legacy Eh, a top 10 global Challenge and Guild Wars guild
    PM me or visit this link to join the Eh family!
    Visit this link for my Distance and Challenge strategy videos
  • KratosKratos Member Posts: 267
    Shteevie said:

GW Gas
    Guild Wars Gas is available throughout the game for all players to collect or earn for free from the following locations:

• 10 GW Gas collected from the Sunday Distance

Sunday Distance? Is it changing or just a typo?
    Part of the MAVERICKS Guild Family
  • KazKaz Community Manager Posts: 1,423
    Kratos said:

Shteevie said:

GW Gas

• 10 GW Gas collected from the Sunday Distance

Sunday Distance? Is it changing or just a typo?
    Yep! Fixed!:D
  • SmokeandMirrorsSmokeandMirrors Member Posts: 344
    I have shared with my guild. Thank you!
  • DeadheadsDeadheads Member Posts: 520
    Shteevie said:

We’re already working to fix as many issues as we can. The next update will come to you towards the start of the second half of the Walking Dead’s season 9, and most of the work in that update is centered around making Guild Wars a better, smoother experience.

Just wanted to make sure... no council upgrade in this update correct?

SPC_TORRES
  • ErmaksErmaks Member Posts: 69
    we solved the problem with gas and added it to the store for money ahaha)))
    Kasimir
  • BillbamBillbam Member Posts: 113
    still 7 minimum required to start a battle???
    DoomSquadCBlock Leader...teaching the young to fight!
  • suzequeuesuzequeue Member Posts: 140
    So If I play distance and challenge without resetting, I will have 40 gas accumulated for Saturday afternoon plus the 5 that I have right now. Which should work for about 2 rounds of GW. Oh well...
    Danski_46
  • Danski_46Danski_46 Member Posts: 546
    The availability of gw gas could be sorted in time for the next gw, looking in the gw gas poll should tell NG the pricing is wrong. If the gas situation isn't solved then gw could become a white elephant.
    TCBRITOromeo
  • argentinoquilmeargentinoquilme Member Posts: 1
    Hola!! Busco gremio Pq en el mío no fuimos capaces de juntar 7 para una triste guerra. Soy nivel 70 y hago sobre 800 estrellas en los desafíos. Gracias y saludos!!
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,435
    @Firekid I think your best bet is to play 2-3 battles as hard as you can and the rest with 5-10 missions just making up the numbers at the end. It's obvious only the high rollers are to play all 6 for the full battle :smile:
    Forever Wild Walking B)
    Danski_46Kasimir
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,192
    that was what I did last time and found that we won the first few battles by loads then lost the last ones by loads. Was going to try and ration my gas next week and see we can still win something on the Sunday.
  • BenoitBenoit Member Posts: 40
    @Shteevie I have a question, how do you set the level of the walkers ?
    For exemple in the same sector it had ennemys with lv28 walkers and other with lv33. Is it relate with the ennemy cause i didn't realy see a big gap between those ennemys compare to the gap between the walkers hidding them
  • clausLeneclausLene Member Posts: 55
    App. mispełing; This is when payers in North America and most of Europe are all awake at the same time. -- payers -- ?? I get it, we are all payers. ;)
  • clausLeneclausLene Member Posts: 55
    Sorry, i am to late. :)
  • RenopwnsRenopwns Member Posts: 90
    So excited for guild wars again next weekend! I was in a tiny guild and switched over to a larger one for guild wars. We got 11k stars total this week's challenge, the guild I was part of before could barely pull 2k a week. No regrets lol
    TCBRITOSPC_TORRESBWilsDeathwish19
  • MerkMerk Member Posts: 3
    I’m above 200 stars so far in Challenge this week—still no GW red gas...and the Normal Distance only gave us 5 gas for a full clear. Approaching “quit” point with this game. Lower the req of 7 members!
  • SteeboonSteeboon Member Posts: 482
    > @Merk said:
    > I’m above 200 stars so far in Challenge this week—still no GW red gas...and the Normal Distance only gave us 5 gas for a full clear. Approaching “quit” point with this game. Lower the req of 7 members!

You get 5 cans of GW gas at challenge stars 500,1000,1300 as far as I am aware
    romeo
  • tdiddytdiddy Member Posts: 355
    1300 is 10 gas
    SteeboonTCBRITOBWilsromeo
  • KasimirKasimir Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2018
    Lol...i just passed 1000 stars and got unbelievable fantastic 5 red gas, wow. Maybe i can open my own gas station 🛴
    As far as i see gw is a very exclusive and expensive club. Nothing for working class people
    I reset the distance and will again on Saturday, (lower cost this week and want the winter assault weapon) I'll end up with 70 fuel tanks to use which will be just over 11 fuel tanks a key. Does 10 missions a key really count as "playing" guild wars?
    romeo
  • SteeboonSteeboon Member Posts: 482
    > @Firekid said:
    > I reset the distance and will again on Saturday, (lower cost this week and want the winter assault weapon) I'll end up with 70 fuel tanks to use which will be just over 11 fuel tanks a key. Does 10 missions a key really count as "playing" guild wars?

You get 5 gas refunded per key and maybe accumulate enough points to buy gas in the shop. Yes the gas economy needs improvement but NG needs revenue too, hopefully they can find that balance soon.

GW gas from cinema seems the best option for me, gas from the distance and challenges seem insufficient and hard to reach for many mid players.
    FirekidRenopwns
    Thanks @steeborn forgot to add them on. That's getting close to 18 gas per
    Key. That shouldn't be too bad. Like the idea of getting it from ads, am sure that will get more people watching them and thus increase the revenue from that. Think having it come up in trade shop every so often wouldn't be too bad either.
    Renopwns
  • tjhookrtjhookr Member Posts: 33
    can we get the exact time on gw days, last time I was under the impression that 1 key can be used for 24 hours but in reality it is much less, the first starts at dec 29 utc 1:00, but last time when I got up on Sunday the keys were already recharged
    so how long is a gw day?
  • crambert_neccrambert_nec Member Posts: 1,319
    @tjhookr I believe it was mentioned in another thread that you get your second set of 3 keys exactly 24 hours after you claim the first set. So if you logged in late the first day, you will get them pretty late on the second day.
    Leader of WATCH TOWER RoD
    romeobigbeano