So disappointed - forced to pay for winter event prizes

I reset the distance twive and am at 2460 tokens now. 240 still to get will leave me short of the last two prizes.

The event is clearly designed so you need to pay to get all prizes. This is extremely disapointing and alienating to long term F2P players. Come on, just offer special weapons in the shop. That’s fair and its my choice to buy them or not. But don‘t put them in an event like a carrot on a stick, designed to be unreachable. If you wanted to frustrate your player base, you succeeded.
BodRealClareBwrinkled_bagKratosSCBMAJayZignascrambert_necMichonor23aafr99ATLAS-ZBuckzzbigbeanoDeathwish19kiwinz7

Comments

• mongo_nine_one_onemongo_nine_one_one Member Posts: 216
    I don’t play enough, to become disappointed...

and...

I learned long ago, NextGames will set “ goodies “ just beyond reach, that rarely are “ stupendous “...
  • GradyGrady Member Posts: 23
    Maybe if they put 75 Aaron tokens, the Shovel, the Assault Rifle and the Hockey Stick in a loot box which costs 250 winter tokens (in excess of 2000) per draw, that would solve the problem? Assuming each time something is drawn, it gets removed from the pool.

That way, people who missed out on a couple events can still have some chance at drawing the Hockie stick, and people who completed all events have 100% chance of getting everything. People who drew 3 times but missed the Hockey stick may even buy the winter token bundle from the trade shop.
  • JadenJaden Member Posts: 2,831
    @Grady
    Winter bow had a shiny button - or rather a shiny outline. Still didn't feel like the main prize to many, probably because it was not at the end of the list.

Maybe they need to have a big button for the main prize and some unlock graphics like heroes do.

Love.the bow and people could get it for free by just normal playing.

It's an amazing prize.

And the other rewards on the way were great, too. I got my RGG to legendary, we got many rare tokens, phones, legendary gear...

They could maybe have worded it a little clearer that you need to reset distance twice for the rifle and every time for the stick.
    Leader of Morbid Sinners and Morbid Spirits

Morbid Survivors are looking for you!
    I_Am_PsychoSPC_TORRESBWils
  • I_Am_PsychoI_Am_Psycho Member Posts: 1,431
    edited December 2018
    @Delphi
    I'm not an advocate of the way the event is done with the need to spend money on it. That said, NG made it very clear it was needed from the beginning. In any case, anyone desiring top rewards would work out before now, how many tokens per week were available FTP.

Edited to correct tagging wrong person - sorry @Grady for initial incorrect tag.
    Last Stand BE recruitment

Last Stand BE have 4 places available for genuine GW players.

I can be contacted by PM for recruitment questions.
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 940
    I missed one Distance repeat. But got all so far.
  • LoneWanderer360LoneWanderer360 Member Posts: 131
    I've played as much as possible. No distance resets, no purchased bundles. I got the Aaron tokens and I think I will probably get the shovel. That's pretty good.
    Dodkong
  • TransmuteJunTransmuteJun Member Posts: 1,936
    I prefer the way they did it in Our World, where you earn special winter/frostbite tokens and then get to spend them in a special shop (similar to the TG shop). Then you can save for a big reward or buy the smaller rewards.
  • ShadowWalkerShadowWalker Member Posts: 97
    Even though NG was open and honest about it, and the Winter Bow was the main prize advertised, I kind of agree. Why not just put the last prizes in a bundle? Especially with the price they are charging for winter tokens, it's not like resetting the Distance gave you a significant discount. Imagine missing the Distance only once, let's say on Christmas, now you have to pay $15 to unlock the last prize after putting so much time and energy into the event.

Also while I agree that paying players should have access to more rewards in general, when it comes to special events giving everyone the opportunity to unlock everything is a nice way to show your players some appreciation. The Summer RPG event had it's problems, but at least if you played every day you could earn everything.

Anyways, I'm not really complaining. I'm happy with my Winter Bow, just throwing in my 2 cents for the next event.
    KazanniesprinklesJadenDeathwish19
  • Carl_s_HatCarl_s_Hat Member Posts: 152

I've played as much as possible. No distance resets, no purchased bundles. I got the Aaron tokens and I think I will probably get the shovel. That's pretty good.

This is where I am at. I am pretty sure I did not complete one of The Distances all the way and still will get the shovel.

• DodkongDodkong Member Posts: 1,026

I prefer the way they did it in Our World, where you earn special winter/frostbite tokens and then get to spend them in a special shop (similar to the TG shop). Then you can save for a big reward or buy the smaller rewards.

As a permanent fixture shop (a la TG shop or GW shop) I 100% agree. If the offers will always be around, I want the option to save and pick what I want the most.

As a short term duration event, I 100% disagree. If my choice was the hockey stick OR everything else, I'm taking everything else every time because I feel that quantity is better than quality in this situation. I'm a greedy bastard, I'll take as much as they will give me for free for simply playing the game like I do on a daily basis.

Personally, I love the way this event was done compared to the Summer event. Players were made aware of what they could earn, token-wise, at the onset. There were no guessing games. I get the featured prize (the Winter Bow as well as a very nice Warrior weapon to boot) by playing daily and I'm given the option to spend a little or a lot to earn something extra.

NG was as upfront and transparent as possible with this event. I'm not sure what more could be asked of or expected from them in this situation. Players were even told of a pending Distance reset cost reduction, that allowed those who wanted the Assault weapon to get it slightly cheaper. If everything is expected to be free, how long will it be before there isn't a game to get free stuff for?
    Elder of ArmyofDarkness

"Things change, doesn't mean they get better." -Gregory House
    GovernatorKratosSPC_TORRESSCBMA
    edited December 2018
    The bow isn't the main prize. The hockey stick is. Other than that, agree with all posts stating it was clearly made obvious there probable financial costs, not just on the forum but in the in game news as @crambert helpfully showed :wink: .

I say probable, simply because people might have hoarded mountains of gold and gas wouldn't necessarily be the barrier it was before (to complete 16 missions twice). Therefore, for some FTP players it actually was possible, although not for most (including me :( )

JayZTransmuteJunPigBenisromeobigbeano
    edited December 2018
    @Dodkong
    The hockey stick IS the top reward for the event. Therefore, for me, that clearly IS the main prize. The "Win Legendary Bow" blurb is just clever marketing misdirection. There clearly are prizes after that, of which (at least) one is actually better. I can't speak for NG as it's not allowed, but I am guessing if they were to put the hockey stick in the blurb like that, there'd be further outcry than there has been.

I also stated that in my view, it is possible albeit in very few cases, to have got it as FTP player.

I defended the points about it being clearly stated in advance where the tokens woukd be available, and meant repeating every Distance.

I quickly accepted I wasn't going to get the main prize (hockey stick). It's IN the tokens event is it not? Would I swap it for the bow? Hell yes!!!

This thread was about a complaint about paying for it. It's clear from my posts I disagree with that complaint. A point was made referring to main prize that I feel is blurring the lines a bit. I feel perfectly comfortable that any responses and reactions won't change my opinion. Not even if @Kaz was to say it.

Now I'm off to get some popcorn :p

SCBMA
  • avelardezavelardez Member Posts: 940
    edited December 2018
    Why chase a free item you still have to pay for with gold anyway that is also not as superior as Morgan’s staff. Got me three of them for my three bruisers. That’s all you need. And yes I help NG earn money by buying their over priced bundles which they screw me over every update when they increase the fighter level. Next update in 2019 we have level 26 coming out so all this gear will be useless. Well, not for me because I can hit 40+ with my fighters currently. So no more equipment or upgrades needed. They just have to Nerf the bruiser class and my Rufus which is in coming update because all you need is two bruisers to hit high stars. Wallet officially closes today. No more need to spend money.

kookaburramack22imacharlieAndy_bbigbeanoBWils
  • NerfZone187NerfZone187 Member Posts: 415
    thank you for running the winter event NG. The free shovel and bow plus all of the other free goodies was a welcomed suprise!

Now let's make guild wars great this spring. There's no reason a team finishing a battle should lose to a team that doesn't. Please fix this for the next one.

-Dozer
    TJSromeo
  • kookaburrakookaburra Member Posts: 10
    I thought all the stuff you can get for free was cool. They could have put the winter skin on the summer RPG as the grand prize...
    NerfZone187Gradymack22
  • DwemerDwemer Member Posts: 28
    Grady said:

It's very clear from the start that the Grand Prize is the Winter Bow, which is easily reachable if you play both the challenge and distance modes. The extra prizes at the end are just for people who play very actively and don't miss out on anything.

I think there will be much fewer complaints if they make a big shiny glittering button for the Winter Bow and tag the last prizes as Extras.

NG made the grand prize much easier to obtain than the one in the summer event, but people are still complaining.. I feel this is mostly a UI thing.

Exactly. in summer event I wasnt able to get legendary RPG, now everybody, even F2P player could get that very nice BOW. I am more than pleased with that. maybe hockey stick would be nice too, but Im not to greedy. ;)
    romeo
  • DelphiDelphi Member Posts: 6
    It was all clear from the start many here say. This may be true, but i bet the vast majority of players will be deeply disapponted by now. I assume 2% of the players read this forum and another onedigit percent read the announcement to the last sentence. That leaves 90% of the players unknowingly (maybe 80% i obviously just estimate these numbers).

In my guild noone knew. And we have some diehard players averaging 800+ points per challenge.

So far this game was managed extremely well. To me this event design is the first flaw. Hope thy rethink this for future events.
    crambert_nec
  • FirekidFirekid Member Posts: 1,070
    I got my assault weapon from restarting distance twice so am happy with that, shame it couldn't have been
    This week's rewards for the cheaper reset but never mind! I think they missed a trick only offering 200 tokens rather than 240, in know a lot of people would have bought that bundle if it gave them the extra needed to claim the stick rather than leaving them 40 short!
    jimmorrison369TJSJaden
  • TJSTJS Member Posts: 4,501
    Sounds Awesome Kaz!
    -
    TJS  -  Member of W-S
    Nation Wars 🇦🇺 Australian Team Captain
    KazbladgierBWils
  • WellyLugaWellyLuga Member Posts: 1,331
    edited January 2
    It was suggested in another thread (I forget by who or in which thread) that it would be better if you used your tokens to pay for the rewards. That way you could choose to save for the better rewards or just claim them all as you go and take what you get. The players who worked harder would be able to claim everything and the FTP folk could be selective about what they got.
    Forever Wild Walking B)
    KazKratosShadowWalkerATLAS-Z
  • psychwolfpsychwolf Member Posts: 911
    The bow is really cool btw. It's useful and versatile. The archer stance graphics are neat too.
    Sure I would've liked the hockey stick but it's not a big deal.
    DodkongJaden